application process

Options
I have just heard I have got a grant for the fees for bankruptcy. I have been paying token payments on my credit card debts for 9 years. I don't have all the balances and no last transactions due to house move and timescales. They are not all showing on experian but CAB say i have acknowledged debts as i have been paying the token payments for 9 years by standing order.
I private rent - no clause preventing me going bankrupt.
I am not with BT for the broadband is now tv and i have combined package for internet/phone - phone is use as you go . can i stay with now tv as i don't owe them anything in debts.
my three mobile is on a sim only monthly. can i stay on this once my account is unfrozen. its up to date no debt.
I have no way of clearing the debts due to ill health I am not currently able to work these last two years but had always been employed prior.
my utilities are up to date albeit in debit on my npower dual fuel which you would expect at this time of year. Presume I can stay with npower rather than add the debit to bankruptcy?
I have had the co op cashminder bank account ( i dont owe co op anything) for 9 years - will this get frozen and then presume i will be able to continue to use rather than open a new account?

feeling very anxious and worried

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Breamfod,

First of all, well done on receiving the grant to help with the fees. You have raised quite a few queries in your message, which I have tried to address below.

If you have lost track of the balances on the cards, and you cannot get the details from your credit files (remember there are 3 to check), then you can send a short email/ letter to the creditor and ask them to confirm the balance. You do not need to offer any more explanation about why you want this and there shouldn't be any reason why they would refuse to send you it. And, the payments that you have been making do acknowledge the debt and rule out any issue relating to their age I am afraid.

With things like Now TV and your mobile you will need to check the terms and conditions to check bankruptcy isn't an issue from their perspective (but I cannot see why they would do a credit check part way through a contract). The OR will obviously check your budget as part of the bankruptcy process and will consider how much they cost you. If they are reasonable expenses, they may carry on with no issues.

If you owe any money to Npower then the arrears must be included in the bankruptcy application, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to change supplier.

And basic bank accounts can still be frozen, but it is hard to say for how long. In terms of continuing with the account thereafter it would be at the discretion of the bank.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And basic bank accounts can still be frozen, but it is hard to say for how long. In terms of continuing with the account thereafter it would be at the discretion of the bank.

This. Mine wasn't a basic bank account but I expect the process may end up being the same. When I went bankrupt it was frozen. I went into the bank and saw them and they said that as I didn't have any debts on it they were happy to remove my overdraft facility, me hand over the chequebook and them to reinstate the account if the OR contacted them to say it was OK. Phoned the OR who contacted the bank and I was good to go within a couple of days.

I would plan on putting aside enough money to live on for a week or two to cover this possibility.
  • srg0916
    srg0916 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't have a basic bank account although I did ask for it before going bankruptcy because I was going bankrupt.. anyways this was with Halifax. Once I went BR I contacted the bank after and they advised I could no longer bank with them no reason other than they couldn't keep me as a customer ( no debt with them or associated with their group) I opened a basic bank account with Nationwide online (I actually opened two with them shortly after each other) no issues from Nationwide. Can't reccommend them enough,
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The Halifax are not B.R friendly,
    My basic account with co op was not frozen I opened it long before B.R.
  • Breamfod
    Breamfod Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    My Direct debit is up to date with Npower it shows debit until end of year so I!!!8217;m not sure if I should include but I suppose I cd ask receiver person ? Should I cancel direct debit? I just moved house so previous bill was cleared
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure