PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FairyP, you are dangerous to know. I have long held the dream of conducting my whole life from my bed.
    I believe that Winston Churchill almost perfected the art. What's good enough for Winnie...............

Commiserations on the lurgy. Stay in bed and keep warm.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Morning all.

I was woken by the sound of the digger going next door. They are widening their drive to take in half the front garden and the workmen start at some unearthly hour.

I am determined to get more done today, no more nodding off after lunch. Soooo. .....it will be shower and get stuck into the to-do list.
    However, I have no illusions, my intentions may be good, but the practice often falls woefully short.
    Of course, the first hurdle is getting out of bed. It is warm and comfortable and I have a good book on the go.

With my shortcomings in mind

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Judge me when you are perfect.

Love your thought for today Monna, I shall use that a lot
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mardatha - Concorde used to fly over us - you could always tell the engine sound. I do miss her, such a beautiful aircraft. Many years ago I worked in the aerospace industry - fab time.
    FairyP - commiserations - DS2 is just getting over the lurgy and he always suffers with his sinus too - nasty and painful, hope yours eases soon.
    Must move my Arris and tackle at least some of the list - spose I'd better get out of bed then ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I always loved Concorde, never saw one live though. I do like plane watching, and ships even more. Feels funny to think of the amount of activity and movement going on in the world while I sit up here in my livingroom on my back end :D
    Hamsters have perfected the ideal life. Sit in bed and stretch oot a wee paw everytime you want a biscuit, then when you have energy run it off for ten mins on a wheel then fall back into bed again :D
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Monna, the TFTD is so succinct, I love it.

Concorde!
    For our 10th wedding anniversary I took DH on Concorde :eek:
    . It cost about £9.
    We went on the one at the museum of flight, outside Edinburgh, parked up as an exhibit :rotfl: *

It was interesting to see how cramped it was onboard and the cockpit was really claustrophobic.

There were some brilliant tales about its flying days, recorded by one or two of her pilots. I must try and find copies. They were a mixture of amazing facts and amusing incidents. I get the physics of flying but it is still amazing!

Yesterday evening's fun resulted from a 7 hour power cut. A group of us rallied round with torches, a large outdoor table, a selection of cold nibbles and SOME RUM and we chatted away for ages. We enjoyed the starry night (no lights at all across much of the island!), and watched fireflies strutting their stuff. It was lovely. It was also cooler outside than in cos the houses hold the heat and the aircon, of course, was off :)

*ETA - oh, I shall have to start a convo with my snobby neighbour that begins, "Well, there was this one time when we onboard Concorde....." !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MMF - I went on her at Heathrow - but she was parked in the hangar - they had to cut out part of the wall to accomodate the nose cone! Yes - very tiny inside but luxurious! My DS1 has always been an aeroplane fanatic (civil not military) when he was about 13 he had a large poster of Concorde's cockpit. Coincidentally DH was doing some work for a pilot who turned out to be a Concorde pilot & he invited DS1 over & gave him some memorabilia and signed his poster as it was his Concorde - cue one VERY happy bunny who's never forgotten it. DS1 also wrote to Freddy Laker and had a lovely reply from him - one of his much treasured possesions - happy days!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody in here buy TV&Satellite Week magazine? It's the RV's bible for his telly and he just noticed today it has gone up from £1.90 to £2.25 in one jump :eek:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Does anybody in here buy TV&Satellite Week magazine? It's the RV's bible for his telly and he just noticed today it has gone up from £1.90 to £2.25 in one jump :eek:

Oh my goodness! I get Total TV Guide, and I notice that has crept up from £1.10 (I can't remember how long it was that price though) to £1.45. I think it was £1.15 for a while in between.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »

Free TV guides available on the tinterweb :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ah Concord, when I was young we lived on the flight path to Heathrow with planes flying over every minute or so, nobody took any notice unless Concord went over, such a magnificent machine.

I've been overseas for a couple of weeks and did some long haul flights, I just loved the Airbus 380, so much more room to move about. I live in hope of being upgraded but so far no luck!

Have you heard any more from your viewers monna?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback