Malaga car hire - why so cheap, whats the catch?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i normally get a third party excess insurance. I drove around thailand and despite having that cover I wished I had paid more and got the cover with the hire company as it would mean there aren;t any paperwork issues and hire car putting a large hold on your account.

The hold in thailand was low though, at around £210. But the spanish company would hold £600+.

I looked at quotes at malagacar.com probably quiet season 12 to 19 jan 2018

Why does it matter what hold they put on your account if your using a credit card?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I came back from Thailand a few weeks ago, I hired out the cheapest car I could find a nissan almera 1.2L for £138 (5 days), which is what I would expect to pay to hire a car in the UK.

I'm planning a trip to malaga soon and want to explore southern spain by car and I'm looking at car hire prices. I'm quite surprised to find out how cheap car hire in malaga is. A vw polo for 5 days is just £38.

I dont even know how they make money to even pay depreciation on their vehicles at these prices.

As per other posts, i'd be very surprised if there wasnt quite a few "mandatory" charges when you go to pick the car up and punitive charges for fuel and damage.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    takman wrote: »
    Why does it matter what hold they put on your account if your using a credit card?

That would depend on the available credit on your card and how much you would need it for other things. If you don't have much credit available on the card it's obviously a bigger issue than if you have plenty of head room.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    motorguy wrote: »
    As per other posts, i'd be very surprised if there wasnt quite a few "mandatory" charges when you go to pick the car up and punitive charges for fuel and damage.

Look out for full to empty fuel policies, when they give you a very economical car, with a huge fuel tank and charge you an inflated rate for the fuel in the tank.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mgfvvc wrote: »
    That would depend on the available credit on your card and how much you would need it for other things. If you don't have much credit available on the card it's obviously a bigger issue than if you have plenty of head room.

Yes i understand that but most holidays abroad are planned at least a few months ahead so this gives you time to make sure you have enough credit available. So this may mean applying for a limit increase or applying for another card.

Even if you can't get a higher limit then considering that it can cost upwards of £18 a day for insurance that guarantees no excess then the other spending you planned on the card will become a much lower priority.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I hired a Polo in Vigo in September from Keddy by Europcar. Booked it on the Edinburgh airport official website which took me to a company called Rentalcars.com or similar.
    I was worried like you but all was fine. I booked the smallest group car but given a 5 door 1.2 Polo which was fine.
    Pick up and drop off was all fine. Cost was £80.57 for 7 days. I purchased XS cover elsewhere for around £15. No problem at pick up or drop off.
    Car hire is usually cheap in Spain and Portugal.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    I've used Malaga car and had no complaints. It was about five years ago so I can't remember much including the price. I do remember they picked us up from the airport and drove us the short drive to their location and then when we returned the car they took us back to the airport

I remember they weren't interested in checking the car when I returned it, it's a very busy little place. As always make sure you check the car before you take it and that any damages are noted by them

If you're visiting southern Spain try and stop off at Tarifa, it's a lovely little place. I've stayed there three times and will go back soon. Cadiz is also nice
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have booked a Seat Leon type car with Gold Car for 19days for this month at Alicante, return full/full. Total cost £24. They will hold 1400 euros on my CC. I have an annual car hire excess insurance cover. Last year I hired cars with them 5 times and paid less then £50 each time, sometimes returning empty, without a problem.

If returning empty they will make a refuel charge (about £20) and sting you on the cost per litre but they do refund for unused fuel. Its the overall cost that matters to me.

They will always try to sell me extra insurance and you need to be firm when saying no thank you.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    I have hired a car in the UK for a day and half for £7.80 before. And I got 10% TopCashBack on that too :-)

They do make up their money on insurance products and often 'force' it on people whom dont read the T&C's.

When I was getting my last car there was a (UK Couple I think) collecting a car but they didnt have enough on their credit card for the £400 deposit. They could only pay £150, so the hire company said their policy was for them to take out the additional insurance at £24 a day.

To be fair though, believe that all UK companies have a similar policy when you cant leave a deposit.

Also, most people who i see at the counter hire through rentalcars.com and not direct and so they are limited to 90 miles a day - with a £6 per day charge to go over.... hire direct, unlimited miles.

Its all in the T&C's.... and hardly anyone reads them.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 January 2018 at 10:59AM
    Virtually all the hirecos [including the big 'respectable' [haha] ones] try to have low 'headline' prices and then sting you addons for multiple times the initial fee.....pretty dodgy scum all of them.

Some expect you to either have £2000 available on a CREDIT CARD [a debit card with £2000 available to withdraw is not good!!!] or pay £25 a day to reduce the excess.

How many people can say they have a spare £2k on a cc available as you go on holiday???

They make more on the ripoffs/extras than the hire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure