Tax advice needed.

2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The tax is going to be pretty easy to sort out, but what might be trickier is NI, but as the OP has declined to answer the question I have now asked twice we have no idea if NI was payable. I'm out because I'm not willing to waste any more of my time, but if the OP ever does reply maybe someone else will explain whether NI should have been paid.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    The tax is going to be pretty easy to sort out, but what might be trickier is NI, but as the OP has declined to answer the question I have now asked twice we have no idea if NI was payable. I'm out because I'm not willing to waste any more of my time, but if the OP ever does reply maybe someone else will explain whether NI should have been paid.

Why do you need to know the weekly/monthly figure as opposed to the yearly figure for the pub? Just querying as I always check my NI based on what I earn over a year not just a week or month.
  • It sounds as thought the tax codes weren't updated in time so both of your jobs had your tax code as though they were your only job, this can often happen when you change jobs or have more than one job. HMRC should adjust your tax code to account for the money due.

When I worked in a pub the landlady would be given the payslips each time she went to a head office meeting and then would pop them in a box. It was up to us to seek out our payslips. Whereas all other jobs I have been in (retail, office) we were given our payslip in a much more formal manner. I suspect the pub had payslips for you but the landlord jut didn't give them for you. If you think you did pay tax and want to check give them a call and request them. After this amount of time they will have to be duplicated so this could take some time.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why do you need to know the weekly/monthly figure as opposed to the yearly figure for the pub? Just querying as I always check my NI based on what I earn over a year not just a week or month.

Do you think that NI for an employee is on an annual basis?
  • Do you think that NI for an employee is on an annual basis?

In a previous employment we always looked at the figure for what the personal had earned in the year, subtracted the allowance, then worked out the appropriate % to check that their NI was right. The same process as what we did for tax. This was how senior management told us to do it so I had no reason to think otherwise. I am guessing from your response that NI calculations are therefore done on a weekly/monthly basis and your annual income doesn't matter.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In a previous employment we always looked at the figure for what the personal had earned in the year, subtracted the allowance, then worked out the appropriate % to check that their NI was right. The same process as what we did for tax. This was how senior management told us to do it so I had no reason to think otherwise.

That works if their pay in each pay period is always between the Primary Threshold and the Upper Earnings Limit (for employees NI, similar limits for Employers NI) but not if the pay is ever below or above that range. In the OPs case it's quite possible that they earned below the PT in some pay periods, in which case no NI would be due for that pay.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" - possibly based on Alexander Pope in An Essay on Criticism (1709).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure