Electric cars

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 5:36PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    That's precisely why we DON'T plan too much ahead on those kind of journeys... Play it by ear, get off the beaten track, and explore the places that you like.
    Hi

Then, as already mentioned, keep with your ICE as an EV, although able to meet your requirements for the majority of journeys, obviously doesn't suit your particular mindset ...

One thing to consider though .... when the number of EVs significantly exceeds the remaining population of ICE vehicles, range anxiety will shift towards the availability of filling stations ... it'll be some time, so you are allowed to continue moaning for a good while yet! ... :D:cool:

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    zeupater wrote: »
    One thing to consider though .... when there number of EVs significantly exceeds the remaining population of ICE vehicles, range anxiety will shift towards the availability of filling stations ...
    redjerry.jpg
  • zeupater
    AdrianC wrote: »
    redjerry.jpg
    Do it then, but don't look to carry more than three full ones at any one time ... :D;)!
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    zeupater wrote: »
    Do it then, but don't look to carry more than three full ones at any one time ... :D;)!

Actually he'd be breaking the law just having that one can in the car.

The max is 2x5lt plastic or 2x10lt metal.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Actually he'd be breaking the law just having that one can in the car.

The max is 2x5lt plastic or 2x10lt metal.

I don't agree.

Can you quote the legislation for that?

In UN approved jerricans such as the one in Adrian C's post the limit would be 60 litres in 3 containers as zeupater said.

For the legislation see section ADR1.1.3.3(c)

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2013/English/VolumeI.pdf
  • zeupater
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:57PM
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I don't agree.

In UN approved jerricans such as the one in Adrian C's post the limit would be 60 litres in 3 containers as zeupater said.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2013/English/VolumeI.pdf
    Hi

Odd really ... although my recollection, from something I read years ago, was for safety guidelines being set at 60litres & the referenced document (not legislation) also mentioning 60litres, the link doesn't include 1.1.3.3 paragraph c, which in pre-release working group and previous release version examples I've found/read is in the form of ..

"(c) Liquid fuels of UN Nos. 1202, 1203, 1223, 1268, 1863 and 3475 above the quantity specified in Column (7a) of Table A of Chapter 3.2 in means of containment .." ... etc

... However, although there seems to be plenty of mention to the paragraph in forum discussions such as this & a number of websites , I've just found this UK 2017 amendment document ... https://www.rha.uk.net/getmedia/fc5f665a-d422-4351-bb1d-48f16db2176c/ADR-2017-full-amendments_1.pdf.aspx
    .. 1.1.3.3 (c) Delete and insert “(Deleted)”. Delete corresponding footnote 1 and renumber footnote 2 in 1.1.4.3 accordingly ..

... suggesting that as of 30th June 2017, paragraph 1.1.3.3(c) no longer exists/applies, which certainly re-opens questions concerning the allowable volume for transporting road-fuel in portable containers for personal use which I'm not inclined to expend effort in researching beyond this point as it doesn't really interest me beyond what I've just done, however, if anyone else is interested, feel free to enlighten us all ! ...

Oh well, such fun!
    Z
    B)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Rent a car for edge cases like this rather than buying a car that fits two weeks of the year and not the other 48.
  • zeupater
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Rent a car for edge cases like this rather than buying a car that fits two weeks of the year and not the other 48.
    Hi

I tend to agree ... the only time we've driven anywhere around 2500 miles in one trip was in a hire car anyway ... never needed to do that one way and then expect to drive back - life's too short! ... anyway, isn't that where you allow the train/plane take the strain ?

Z
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I don't agree.

Hiya, I went to, but ran into a brick wall of confusion, relating to dates of 2012, 2015 and 2017. I can find many references to 20lt jerry cans being ok, if only filled to 10lt, and also 'clear statements' that a 20lt can is not legal as that exceeds the max amount allowed to be stored in a single container.

I'm now completely unsure what is and isn't allowed?

Not being funny, but did you mean 1.1.3.3(a), as there is no 'c', or has that changed too! [Ah, I see Z has raised this too.]

The reference I keep finding relating to HSE is:-
    The maximum you can store at your home is 30 litres. The jerry can is a 20-litre metal can. It is illegal to store petrol in one of these because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container.

But, I can't find any HSE link to this! And I now suspect it's a 2012 statement(?)

Personally I've not been a fan of carrying petrol ever since that terrible motorway crash/fire decades ago, where diesel carried in a works mini-bus with workers Iif I recall correctly) wreaked havoc.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    AFAIK you'll have to wait for the 60kWh Leaf version due in about a year.
    I sit corrected.

All being well, pick up my 40kWh 2.Zero in March. I was thinking of waiting for the 60kWh but decided I only really "need" that range once a year so plumped for what is bound to be the cheaper option.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure