Electric cars

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For a hitch-mount bike rack, a towbar doesn't have to be type approved - since you aren't towing. So if an aftermarket bar is available in the States, it'd be legal here for a rack - but not to tow with, unless it's been type approved here. The effect on any warranty will be a separate question...

Where you've got a platform that's available electric or not, and the IC is type-approved while the electric isn't, it's probably because the rear floor differs for the battery compartment, losing the type-approved mounting points.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    Longest trip was Leicester to Edinburgh and back,
    My longest is 286 miles each way in a 30kWh Leaf. Two stops going and three coming back due to locations of rapid chargers. A number of people came to ask questions whilst the car was charging. Most concerned range and some astonishment that it is relatively easy to do long distances using the motorway network set up by Ecotricity (with quite a bit of cash from Nissan).
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    For a hitch-mount bike rack, a towbar doesn't have to be type approved - since you aren't towing. So if an aftermarket bar is available in the States, it'd be legal here for a rack - but not to tow with, unless it's been type approved here. The effect on any warranty will be a separate question....

The Model X is rated to tow from the factory, the hitch is supplied by Tesla not an aftermarket or dealer supplied option. Am not which other EV can tow.

But having said that towing ablity of a car has no relevance to me personally, though am not complaining about having the functionality if ever needed.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We have considered an EV as a second car but want the ability to tow.
    The new Leaf may have the capability due to the uprated motor. I read somewhere that this was the reason for the extra oomph, but, I can't find where I saw it.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    I wonder how my employer would react if I had an electric car and the couldn't get into today, due to a power cut last night?

I know of a few areas where the power was off for 3+ days after previous storms.

People always come up with these edge cases as an excuse. Whats your mileage to work? 10 miles? 20? Why would you run down to that little, do you run your petrol car until the warning light comes on? If your mileage to work is more than 20 or so, well you've got enough miles to go to a rapid charger and a 30 minute charge will top you up.

For some reason many seem to think if you dont plug an electric car in every night it will be flat in the morning, like a phone :rotfl:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    The new Leaf may have the capability due to the uprated motor. I read somewhere that this was the reason for the extra oomph, but, I can't find where I saw it.

AFAIK you'll have to wait for the 60kWh Leaf version due in about a year.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    My longest is 286 miles each way in a 30kWh Leaf. Two stops going and three coming back due to locations of rapid chargers. A number of people came to ask questions whilst the car was charging. Most concerned range and some astonishment that it is relatively easy to do long distances using the motorway network set up by Ecotricity (with quite a bit of cash from Nissan).

How long were the stops to recharge?

286 miles in not that far, so how would you fare on a trip to the South of France say on holiday.

Twice a year we travel 2500 miles (one way) to visit the in-laws in a 3 litre diesel. With 4 up it's much cheaper and 'greener' than flying and then having to use a hire car when we get there. As for the journey time, and planning for re-charging stops - the mind boggles.

I have no idea of how long it would be before an EV could tackle a journey like that.

I'm all in favour of as many people as possible using an EV for commuting etc. but it's pretty obvious that they are not going to replace other methods of propulsion any time soon.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »

286 miles in not that far, so how would you fare on a trip to the South of France say on holiday.

Twice a year we travel 2500 miles (one way) to visit the in-laws in a 3 litre diesel. With 4 up it's much cheaper and 'greener' than flying and then having to use a hire car when we get there. As for the journey time, and planning for re-charging stops - the mind boggles.

I have no idea of how long it would be before an EV could tackle a journey like that.

I'm all in favour of as many people as possible using an EV for commuting etc. but it's pretty obvious that they are not going to replace other methods of propulsion any time soon.

One possible option would be to hire a car for that long trip. That way you could benefit from having a more efficient car the rest of the time.

I suppose it could even be a long range EV you hire, depending on how suitable that would be for you and yours.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As well as buses and taxi's, China is also making big moves on light freight.

EV Revolution In China — Next Stop: Delivery & Freight Vehicles
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »

286 miles in not that far
    About 70 miles less than I did yesterday, with zero charging available at my destination - so any charge time would simply be adding to an already long day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback