Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• slipthru
    slipthru Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've moved back to Eon as they were cheapest of the Big six for me, I guess it's because I'm a low user. The new EDF collective switch was £4 a month more.
    In Progress!!!
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    edited 8 September 2017 at 3:10PM
    Hi Folks, I've seen a few posts about the prices being protected after the Collective Fix tariff ends in October.

As several of members have advised; your prices will be protected until you leave if we receive notification you've signed up to a new supplier within 20 working days of your deal expiring.

When you receive your final bill it will show the change in price after your Collective tariff deal expires; however we'll add a credit on your account to make sure you're only charged at the Collective rates. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Folks, I've seen a few posts about the prices being protected after the Collective Fix tariff ends in October.

As several of members have advised; your prices will be protected until you leave if we receive notification you've signed up to a new supplier within 20 working days of your deal expiring.

When you receive your final bill it will show the change in price after your Collective tariff deal expires; however we'll add a credit on your account to make sure you're only charged at the Collective rates. Thanks, Matt

Just to be clear Matt, with the collective tariff ending on the 3rd of October are you saying that as long as British Gas receive notification of your intention to switch by the 22nd of October (ie up to 20 days after) you still get the cheaper prices or do you need to be informed by the 13th of Setpember (20 days before)?
  • SgtRock
    SgtRock Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 12:56PM
    Really don't know what to do, with my BG collective fix expiring October 3rd?!
    My yearly readings are 4176 elec, 11908 gas.
    Currently I've be enjoying £70pm, which will become £103pm as of next month. I was leaning towards switching to Npower which would be £84pm(& £60 cashback from TCB), but there have been plenty of shocking reviews. Of the 'top 6', it's ironically only BG I like/trust enough.
    So, I'm torn between Bulb & Tonik. The other smaller suppliers haven't been around long enough, and not enough ratings. My main worry regarding Bulb(also £84) is that a massive percentage of the high ratings are from folk trying to gain the £50 referral credit. I want to know far more than that! Tonik seem ok, also £84pm for me. Plenty of good ratings, though they are relatively new.
    Whichever, I'm in no real hurry, and will leave it as late as possible, maybe a few days after 3rd October. Bulbs price won't change, and something better may crop up elsewhere in the meantime, so don't wish to commit just now etc. Other plus for Bulb is no exit fees, plus they only have the one tariff so need to keep their customers content...
  • Fwiw I'm returning to Scottish Power after leaving them a few years ago as their service was terrible. For me their Help Beat Cancer Fix And Save January 2020 Online tariff wasn't quite the cheapest but pretty close. No exit fees and 2 and a half winters at locked-in price was more attractive than saving a few pounds per month with the newer players. If service isn't acceptable then I'll vote with my feet again.

Prices I found were Ovo 145pm (cheapest), Scottish Power 153, EDF 159. I've also registered for an upcoming collective fix run by my local council (East Dorset) just in case they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Folks, I've seen a few posts about the prices being protected after the Collective Fix tariff ends in October.

Thanks for the clarification Matt, though I do expect several posts on here moaning about been charged more whilst they switch away without realising the credit to offset it :rotfl:
  • palh
    palh Posts: 10 Forumite
    Re BGas Collective Fix "Deal expiring 3 Oct 17"

My understanding is that BG will maintain your current(Deal) price until switched so long as they(BG) are advised that you have signed up to a new supplier, within the 20 days up to the current Deal expiring. i.e. after 13 Sept up to 3 Oct 17. Yes?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    palh wrote: »
    Re BGas Collective Fix "Deal expiring 3 Oct 17"

My understanding is that BG will maintain your current(Deal) price until switched so long as they(BG) are advised that you have signed up to a new supplier, within the 20 days up to the current Deal expiring. i.e. after 13 Sept up to 3 Oct 17. Yes?

Advised through industry procedures not a call from the consumer. Some suppliers, like Iresa for example, do not initiate transfer action until after the 14 cooling off period. You need to choose your supplier carefully if you want to use the protection window allowed for in SLCs.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I have initiated a switch to OVO (who??) as it seemed best for me without going to a really unknown company.

Do I have to advise British Gas to stop the direct debits for gas and electricity or does this automatically happen when the account switches, please?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    vigman wrote: »
    Well I have initiated a switch to OVO (who??) as it seemed best for me without going to a really unknown company.

Do I have to advise British Gas to stop the direct debits for gas and electricity or does this automatically happen when the account switches, please?

TIA

Vigman

The gaining supplier is required by Ofgem to manage all aspects of the transfer of supply. They will ask you for meter readings at the appropriate time. These are passed to an industry third-party for verification and they are then passed back to the gaining and losing suppliers to open and close your accounts. Under EU/Ofgem regulations, suppliers have 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer of supply to raise a Final Bill. Any refund will follow shortly afterwards. You should leave your DD in place just in case there is an issue with the transfer. Cancelling your DD may put you in breach of contract and your existing supplier may then have the right to change you its SVT rate.

Once the transfers have gone through, YOU should cancel the DD Mandate held by your Bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure