MBNA money transfers

I recently applied and got an MBNA 4.9% card to use for money transfers. I did one initial transfer for around £8K into my bank account but because it was a new bank account (and the details were different to the one in my application form), it seemed to trip up on their fraud indicators. It took quite a few calls to sort that out and the transfer was eventually completed on Monday.

I then cleared out the MBNA balance by transferring to another card to leave a nil balance on the account as of Wednesday.

I've just tried to do another online money transfer to the same bank account but I'm getting a message saying that I need to call them as I've recently used this account for a transfer but it suggests I can nominate another account instead.

Is this normal for MBNA? The first encounter took so long to resolve going through so many calls and details that I don't really want to go through this for each transfer.

Do they frown on multiple transfers in a short space of time, or is it just their normal policy to require phone transfers in this situation?

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I made multiple Money Transfers from my MBNA card in March, most only a few days apart but that was to the current account that pays my MBNA card by DD each month. No problems or delays.
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I money transferred from MBNA, I was only allowed to withdraw 95% of the limit.. maybe because you have tried to zero out the account using a transfer, it flagged it up?
    The total transfer amount (which includes any transfer fees) plus any balances already on your account and any transfer requests already made, cannot be more than 95% of your credit limit. This is to allow for future transactions on the account.
    https://www.mbna.co.uk/understanding-credit/understanding-transfers/balance-transfers/
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    I carried out multiple money transfers last month to a different current account each time because of the message you describe. I had no problems with the transfers. On one of them they contacted me directly to confirm I had actually requested it so this delayed one by a couple of days but because I was doing multiple, I suppose they have to check for fraud/money laundering purposes.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure