Blemain(Un)Together Secured Hell

hello everyone,
It's been a while since I posted here but it's good to be back!

I have got a horrible situation with Blemain - now Together - and was wondering if anyone has any wise words/advice on how to deal with these crooks.

In brief, I took out a secured loan with Blemain almost 10 years ago (this is certainly in the top 5 of the worst decisions I have ever made)

Thinking I had almost made it to the finish line after a decade of crippling, life ruining monthly repayments, imagine my surprise when I found out recently I still have a whopping balance to clear!

I could not understand it at all so requested a breakdown. The list of extra charges and HUGE interest charges on every single item over the years is eye-wateringly ridiculous.

For example, crazy inflated charges for buildings insurance that they supplied despite me having my own. I think I had to have my own building insurance as part of the actual loan agreement.
Charges for home visits? I mean .. what ever for?

In the unlikely event that I could pay this off early, there would be an unrealistic and enormous redemption figure to pay also.

Is any of this legal? Has anyone here ever challenged their shady practices? it is SO depressing as I doubt I'll ever be free of this awful loan.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated ...thankyou!
"happiness is...positive cashflow!":j

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Yes usually secured lenders have a list of "extra" charges they can bestow on you.
    They will of been listed in the small print when you signed your agreement, so yes, although they are ridiculous, they are also legal and would of been clearly visible in the terms and conditions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's entirely legal, and by signing the agreement, you have literally signed your name to say that you agree with all of these charges, rates of interest etc.

The advice here is to read and understand what you're signing up to before you sign on the dotted line, but that's probably not the answer you're hoping to hear.
  • Deadbeat
    Deadbeat Posts: 133 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    > Charges for home visits

That's a bit concerning. Did they make any visits to your home?
  • moneymeltdown
    moneymeltdown Posts: 264 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    It's entirely legal, and by signing the agreement, you have literally signed your name to say that you agree with all of these charges, rates of interest etc.

The advice here is to read and understand what you're signing up to before you sign on the dotted line, but that's probably not the answer you're hoping to hear.

This is totally NOT what I want to hear of course but thankyou for taking the time to read and reply!
  • moneymeltdown
    moneymeltdown Posts: 264 Forumite
    Deadbeat wrote: »
    > Charges for home visits

That's a bit concerning. Did they make any visits to your home?

Not that I am aware of!

How would I know as I am usually out at work all day...they could very easily say they have visited my home and I would be unable to prove it.

Everything appears to be weighted in Blemains favour - they are a hateful company. I wouldn't wish my experience with them on anyone :mad:
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Did you at any point fail to make your payments in full and on time?

Or, to put it another way, are these charges that everyone accrues and knows about beforehand, or are they down to things that happened to you?
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No expert of course, but does the loan have a 'start' date and a 'finish' date i.e fixed period?
    Surely the question is whether they are allowed to add charges after this?
    :j
  • ferry wrote: »
    No expert of course, but does the loan have a 'start' date and a 'finish' date i.e fixed period?
    Surely the question is whether they are allowed to add charges after this?

yes the loan term was originally stated as 123 months (or so I thought

when I spoke to them last week to query the huge amount still left to pay, I was told the monthly payments and term were based on a "perfect loan"

ie if you paid the amount every single month without fail, which is what I did for YEARS. I missed a couple of payments way back in 2009, and sorted all of the arrears ages and ages ago.

How can one of their loans actually ever achieve "perfect" status when they add their own buildings insurance costs plus interest of course despite me obviously having my own buildings insurance - which was stated as part of the actual loan agreement in the first place!!??

it seems their whole business model is based solely on tripping you up to make the loan "imperfect" and thereby creating more strange charges plus interest throughout the loan term.

With their end goal no doubt hoping to be a repossession....

Infuriating doesn't even cover it....how can I now have an almost £8k default balance after approx 9.5 years of a £30k 10 year loan!?!
  • Did you at any point fail to make your payments in full and on time?

Or, to put it another way, are these charges that everyone accrues and knows about beforehand, or are they down to things that happened to you?

yes there were a few missed payments way back in 2009 due to a decrease in earnings at the time and the arrears were rectified.

I think in my case they have actually charged for items that shouldn't have been charged for such as home visits that I obvioucly can not prove either way if they happened or not and buildings insurance (see my reply to ferry above)

and of course all my building insurance documents can't be located at Blemain / Together ... how convenient!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    You might have a case to claim back the buildings insurance as you had purchased your own in order to comply with the loan agreement.

A couple of years back I had something similar where I ended-up with two insurances. I contacted the second policy issuer and they told me that it is not legal to have two policies to cover the same set of contents or the same building. Therefore they would refund me the premiums I had paid as part of the loan.

I would suggest that you write to Together and inform them that you wish them to refund the buildings insurance payments as you already had cover that predated their policy start date, therefore voiding their policy set up in your name.

If they refuse, then a lba might be the next logical step.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure