PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hips much better today. I managed to get a small Chicken much enjoyed by both of us, ages since we had a roast.

Got 4 of those takeaway tubs of chow mein, 20p each normally £1. Will add a few extra veg to them warm up some of the left over chicken. Dinner should take not much more than 5 minutes as long as I slice the veg and pick the chicken before DS cones home.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Ah, maryb, we wrinklies are very civilised and know how to look after each other. You will probably also have noticed that when two wrinklies have to share a seat they are bosom pals by the time they get to their destination.

I have had a good day. DS2 took me for my monthly visit to the supermarket and I managed to snaffle a YS chicken, a tray of sausages (Mr T's finest) and a pack of back bacon, all YS. Next week's meals will be variations on a theme.

I got back home and discovered that the estate agents had left a message that they have arranged another viewing for a week on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

TODAY'S PLEASANT THOUGHT.

Bitterness, unforgiveness and holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

I once missed my stop on a bus listening to the conversation of the. "Wrinkles" in front :rotfl:
    Carlislelass, no, it's a personal choice, whilst I can pay I will.
    The gammon is cooking and the first pair of trousers is nearly done, I may leave the other pair until tomorrow as sewing with black thread on black fabric is hard on the eyes.

Ah, I thought you were a "twirly" (stands at the bus stop at 9.25 and, when a bus comes along asks the driver "am I too early" hence twirly... :rotfl:

OH's registered address is in Wales (long story, don't ask) and was quite chuffed to hear he got his bus pass early. Then really disappointed when he found out he couldn't use it in England....:p
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:11AM
    Options
    On the subject of bus passes we are entitled in Wales to get one at 60, however we cannot use them in England :(.

It is long past time there was a nationwide buspass - and not just "England only", "Wales only", presumably "Scotland only". Just one that we could use to travel right across the country - and I've got a vague idea from somewhere it used to be nationwide??

The one thing I've found out re my Welsh buspass is that I gather I can get on any bus that starts here in Wales (even if it's only a mile into Wales) and then be on it for however far it goes (even if that's some distance into England). I believe people in North Wales use their Welsh buspass to go shopping over in bigger northern cities in England?

I don't suppose that buspass would work in reverse - ie for those in Wales to be able to use it to do the exact same journey (but in reverse).

The reverse of that is that anyone living in England could get on a bus going into Wales using their buspass and go as far into Wales as that particular bus would take them before they had to start paying.

Does anyone know if that toll bridge (the Severn bridge?) between the two parts has buses going over it into Wales or no? Reason being that the toll is going to be abolished soon (yay!) and then people will readily be able to travel across the bridge and get to around Newport, South Wales, etc without having to pay tolls to cross the bridge any longer.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Been a bit quiet lately, had a busy few days dismantling a huge american f/f that we gave to youngest son. It took 4 swearing Co-op delivery men to get it into the house, and we were worried that if it broke down or we had to move home, the HA would need to demolish the kitchen to get the bl00dy thing out. In the event, the RV took the doors off and the son plus 2 huge rugby playing mates managed it fine. Son now happily knocking back g&t with crushed ice, and I'm far happier with a normal shaped f/f. I got the big one cheap, knocked a few £100s off as it had a big scratch on each side - but who sees that when it's fitted in between kitchen units? It used an awful lot of elect though, glad to see the back of it.
    And for light hearted fun I'm knitting (very very slowly) a stranded cowl with 200sts. In black, while sitting in a dark corner of the livingroom wearing a black tshirt and dark jeans... :eek::eek:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha

It might be a good idea to put a light coloured towel or tea towel on your lap so you can make out what you are doing.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks elona and Hester, for explaining about the p-word :D

I'm glad you got your chicken nursemaggie :T
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear Hester, I am embarrassed to admit that I realised at once what you were going to do to those sloes. I am beginning to read asterisk pretty fluently.

MMF007. I like the idea of emergency chocolate and am prepared to be very flexible as to what constitutes an emergency.

Mar, don't worry. If we come a-calling we will be able to locate you by the whites of your eyes.

I have a house viewing booked for a week today so am spending this week doing as much as I can to make the house look irresistible. There is still far too much of the family's clutter around the place and DS2 will have to be pressured into whipping the garden into shape. He comes regularly to mow lawns but there is a whole lot more that needs doing. We still have DGS's fishing boat in the drive that seems to be a magnet for all the things no one knows what to do with.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    THOUGHT FOR TODAY.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

:rotfl:We have a friend with a less than diplomatic husband, she yells 'RONAN' at him when she thinks he is going to say something daft, when we asked why she sang 'You say it best, when you say nothing at all!!!' :rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    You can tell the meat of a woman by the colour she knits with. Black?! Mar you're harder woman than I:eek::rotfl:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've cracked it! I'm wearing a headtorch :D:D The RV says I look demented as all hell but I can't see me so I don't care! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback