PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Just popping in to say hi.
    Welcome to Babs hope you can get yourself on track with some of the great suggestions here. Sometimes it helps just to know your not alone.
    Monna was going to make some jam this weekend but your tale has made me tnink again lol
    Fuddle sorry to hear your unwell again but good on your doc for being on the ball. Hope the AB's kick in soon and you feel better.
    Am going to London next week for a few days so looking forward to a change of scenery.
    Hope everyone else is well xx
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Welcome Babs! I started a reply at 4pm..... then my dad asked me to go for a walk with him. He's in poor health and getting a bit confused, and we live a long way apart (visiting parents for a week) so I have to make the most of these visits. We went for a short walk that took ages :rotfl:
    Then..... mum asked me to walk to the doctors to collect a prescription and then to the local shop for a bottle of wine (:D) . I came back but had been logged off and couldn't log in for a while due to duff internet. Then.... they wanted tea so I prepped that. Then....we sat nattering for a while, which was nice :)

Anyway, what I wanted to suggest, if you don't mind Babs, is the following:
    Might it be worth it to get someone to put shelves up, as a surprise for your DH, so he can display his favourite collectibles? That may get you brownie points towards the time when you want to relocate / donate some Stuff, to help make the flat become your home, where you feel comfortable?

I totally agree with the 15 minute bursts- even when I have been on my feet all day (home help), I can still manage a quick 15 mins of clearing up and it always amazes me how much of a difference it makes, and because I know it is a short burst I tackle the important things :D

Bus passes - I saw a cousin last week who I haven't seen for ages and was horrified to hear he has just got his bus pass. My cousin, who in my head is still only in his mid 20's, cos I am only a youngster and he's only 6 years older than me. Ha, ha, ha. I am in my early 50's!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • I think the rules changed when the state pension age changed for woman. Such bad news for those people who have to wait until they are 66 before they can claim their pension. Having free travel makes such a difference when you don't drive and relyon public transport doesn't it?
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a wonder to me that the buses are still running. On the Island it is rare to see anyone pass over actual money. Of course, I mostly only travel when all the other wrinklies are on the move.

Babs, I have given up with meal planning as I never know whether I am going to be in the mood for cooking or happy with a sandwich. I just get stock items in my monthly shop so I always have the makings of a meal.

I'm getting my monthly lift to T*sc*s tomorrow so will get enough stock items for the next 4 weeks.

Today's pleasant thought.

A friend is one who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »

A friend is one who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart.

Silent tears streaming down my face at this early hour. It touched me considering. x
  • monnagran
    Don't cry sweetheart. Put all your energy into getting better. We need your down to earth take on the world.

x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Babs I get an online delivery from Sainsbugs most weeks, because they deliver it for £3 - if I get it later then it's £1.50. That's far cheaper than it would cost us in diesel to go and get it. We can't take a bus, there's only one an hour and it's a bit of a walk to the bus stop.
  • Morning all,

It has been a long week. Chores and shops today and then I hope to have tomorrow to myself. OH is going to see his mum and dad but as I'm still getting over a cold I won't go with him. FIL just started an new level of chemo and will be susceptible and I don't want to risk it. I've line up some sewing projects for myself as a bit of a relaxing treat. Next week is going to be even busier so I want some rest time first.

We're treating ourselves to a few things from the local butchers--one of their pies for tea and some sausages for a casserole for tomorrow's tea. Things are busy now and so our means and methods of stretching the pennies have changed and I imagine will change again. We have some lovely allotment spuds from a dear friend who came for lunch last weekend so those will go with the sausages tomorrow. She brought a selection of treats that I'm slowly doling out.

It is properly autumnal here and we've just had a chat about when to put the heating on. We both worry this house will be damp so will put it on a few hours this weekend as we're keeping most of the windows open so it is very chilly.

Babs--I hope you feel properly welcome now. I'm not sure if you have a portable 'device' laptop, tablet or smartphone--but I like to find BBC radio player programmes--many of the serials are in 15 minute increments. It can help make the chores more enjoyable.

Hugs to all who need them and get well soon Fuddle.x
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Re bus passes, the national arrangement is that you get it at the youngest age anyone can get their state pension, so men used to get it at 60. But local authorities can make more generous arrangements. Here in London, thanks to Boris when he was Mayor, we get the equivalent of the old Freedom Pass at 60 which covers bus Tube tram and London Overground trains any time and National Rail within London Zones 1-6 after 9.30. Once I turn 65 and a half I will get the National bus pass bit added on so I can go on any bus anywhere. My Dh already has this - you can tell by the rose symbol on the card.

It makes such a difference having one. I'm sure I get more exercise because of it because I walk one way into town several times a week and get the bus back.

If you get on a bus round here after rush hour you will see a pecking order of decrepitude being established - bus comes along fairly empty, wrinkly gets on and sits near the front. Bus stops further along, slightly older wrinkly gets on, first wrinkly gets up and moves further back ad infinitum. Quite amusing to watch
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • monnagran
    Ah, maryb, we wrinklies are very civilised and know how to look after each other. You will probably also have noticed that when two wrinklies have to share a seat they are bosom pals by the time they get to their destination.

I have had a good day. DS2 took me for my monthly visit to the supermarket and I managed to snaffle a YS chicken, a tray of sausages (Mr T's finest) and a pack of back bacon, all YS. Next week's meals will be variations on a theme.

I got back home and discovered that the estate agents had left a message that they have arranged another viewing for a week on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

TODAY'S PLEASANT THOUGHT.

Bitterness, unforgiveness and holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family