BMW Service intervals

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    While I am impressed at how often these BMW's are at a garage getting serviced can I ask .... Why don't they fix the indicators at the same time?
    :)

Mobil1 0-40 oil and filter change every 10,000 / 12 months for me.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    While I am impressed at how often these BMW's are at a garage getting serviced can I ask .... Why don't they fix the indicators at the same time?

Mobil1 0-40 oil and filter change every 10,000 / 12 months for me.

That joke was very funny - but only the first thousand times. :(
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2018 at 12:00AM

The driver has to top up the blinker fluid himself. (No-one ever does.) :(

BTW: Another vote here for interim oil changes at National Tyres. Usually about £50 for my car including engine flush.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No need to change the oil every 10,000 miles anymore. It isn't the 1990s. Explanation with behind the scenes testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zDt9FGJi8&t=30s

For those who don't want to watch, one vehicle they ran for 500,000 miles with the oil changes every 20,000 miles and the oil tested every 5,000 miles. Looked almost like new when they stripped the engine down. Only problem they had was gearbox failure at 300,000 miles.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    loskie wrote: »
    well then why are you asking, it's your car do what you like with it.
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind then.
    Forgive me, I didn't mean that to sound rude.
    I won't be taking it to BMW, the question I am asking is do I follow the BMW recommended intervals or do 10k oil changes?
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind then.
    Tarambor wrote: »
    No need to change the oil every 10,000 miles anymore. It isn't the 1990s. Explanation with behind the scenes testing.

For those who don't want to watch, one vehicle they ran for 500,000 miles with the oil changes every 20,000 miles and the oil tested every 5,000 miles. Looked almost like new when they stripped the engine down. Only problem they had was gearbox failure at 300,000 miles.
    The main reason I am considering extra oil changes is because of the timing chain weakness on this particular car which apparently can be mitigated with extra oil changes, which presumably wasn't an issue on this?
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    My e46320d which did 130K miles, my e90320d which did 78K miles and my current f30 330d all had/have full BMW Service history with oil changes as the Computer Based Servicing demanded.

However I change the oil filter at halfway between oil-changes - note that's an extra filter change at around 9 to 10K miles without changing the oil.

Additionally I change the air-filter at every oil-change - not at every 2nd one as BMW recommend.

No hassle with timing chains or any other engine problems.

And if there were, BMW are going to fix it - on the extended BMW warranty.
    Thanks. What brought you to deciding on that schedule?
  • Iceweasel
    rev_henry wrote: »
    The main reason I am considering extra oil changes is because of the timing chain weakness on this particular car which apparently can be mitigated with extra oil changes, which presumably wasn't an issue on this?

The build date of your car will be on the label on the driver's door post - if it's later than March 2011 then the chances of timing chain failure are minimal.

Thanks. What brought you to deciding on that schedule?

The oil-filter is pretty small on these engines and for me it's a quick and easy change - a matter of 10 minutes or less.

The air-filter after approx 36 to 40k miles is absolutely filthy - dead flies, leaves and even cigarette ends can get in there. Again a quick easy change and it helps the mpg figures too.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Tarambor wrote: »

I know BMW is 18k mile/18 months but most manufacturers are 20k miles/12 months.
    If the mileage interval has been extended from 6k-10k-20k miles, why hasn't the time interval been extended much from the 12 months ?
  • Iceweasel
    Aletank wrote: »
    I know BMW is 18k mile/18 months but most manufacturers are 20k miles/12 months.
    If the mileage interval has been extended from 6k-10k-20k miles, why hasn't the time interval been extended much from the 12 months ?

A new (or newly serviced) BMW with Computer Based Servicing will display that the next service is after 30,000 Kms or 2 years into the future, giving an exact date.

That 30K Kms is nearer to 19K miles than 18K at 18640 miles, but only complete thousands are indicated. That is why it takes longer for the indicator to reach 17K miles than from 17K to 16K

That distance to the next oil-service changes as the vehicle is driven.

If the car does mainly town miles or short journeys the count-down goes faster so that the oil-service may eventually be called for at 12 to 13k miles.

On the other hand if the car is used mainly for long motorway journeys then the interval is extended to perhaps 19k or 20K miles.

No matter how many, or how few, miles are covered the 2 year deadline never changes.

To me these intervals make sense and my car is serviced at around 19500 miles which takes me approx 14 months.

Hope that helps.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I wasn't on about BMW service intervals specifically but just oil and general service interval with mileage & time.
    As oils have got better, the mileage between oil changes has increased, years ago it was a oil change at 6k miles but now it's more like 20k miles as oil technology has improved.
    Again years ago it was every 12 months for a oil change, with most manufacturers it's still 12 months. Why hasn't this time frame increased with the mileage interval ?
    You would think now it would be 20k miles or 3 years, whichever is first ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure