PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Whats the best way to help family members? buy house or just give them some money?

2»

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It depends on a lot of things. Some people are just not good with money. It is difficult to give money to someone hoping it will help them out when you don't know the full circumstances of how they got into the position in the first place. I can think of several examples of younger people who if you gave them a sum of money they would either buy a new car or go on the most expensive holiday that they could find. After they had spent the money they would be back in exactly the same position as before.

Some of the money going to ex partners is the least of the problems. Do you want to find yourself in the position that whenever one of your siblings wants to go on holiday they come to you for cash. Or on the other hand do you want them to feel small because you are in their eyes not helping them out but making them feel that you are showing them how much you have?

My advice would be that if you feel you want to help someone give the money to a charity. Or put food into your local foodbank collection point.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I disagree with some of the sentiments above and understand the OP's motives.

I grew up in a time when buying a family home was within (relatively) easy reach of many/most people. I bought a flat, then a hose, then a nicer house etc

I look at young peope today, many of whom still live with parents and wh have ittle chance of home-ownershhip, especally ddown here in the south, andespecially London.

The onle way it's possible for many these days is with family help.

I too believe in young people standing on their own two feet, but when the ground they are standing on is quicksand, they need a helping hand......
  • hunters wrote: »
    A decent pension.

Yeah but then thats it right. House/decent job + pension then after that its indulgence on stuff? maybe some travel is a need.
    G_M wrote: »

The onle way it's possible for many these days is with family help.

I too believe in young people standing on their own two feet, but when the ground they are standing on is quicksand, they need a helping hand......

Last few years i've thought what is the point of family at all and feel like its designed that way to offset the unfairness of life/society. Else you might aswell just interact with strangers the same as you do family.

Generally, people do seem to act different to a point depending on how comfortable they are financially, causes problems.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 2:55PM

So with your grabby brother would you ever help them financially? at all? Lets say the context is just to boost their lifestyle, so important stuff but no special circumstances.

In a word - no.

It wouldnt make sense to me to help someone you know wouldnt help you and doesnt care about being fair to you.

If my parents were in a position they needed (would accept to be more accurate....) money to pay for private health care and the like then obviously I'd pay if I were in a position to. But that's all rather academic anyway - as I'm not in that position...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure