Flow Energy - Warning: They don't read the gas meter

Just as a warning to others, Flow Energy don't read the gas meter.

They read the electric every 3 months but not the gas. So if you don't provide readings yourself they will continue to estimate.

I've recently moved and now landed with an eight hundred pound bill. :(

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just as a warning to others, Flow Energy don't read the gas meter.

They read the electric every 3 months but not the gas. So if you don't provide readings yourself they will continue to estimate.

I've recently moved and now landed with an eight hundred pound bill. :(
    Shouldn't the warning be to always check your bills against the meters to make sure (erroneous) estimated readings are not used?
    This applies to any supplier.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 December 2017 at 4:28PM
    Flow email me every month asking for both elec and gas.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2017 at 2:59PM
    I don't care how often or not my suppliers read my meters. I spend around 5 minutes every month giving them the readings and entering them into my spreadsheet. Quite simple really and puts any responsibility for knowing my account status, whether they bill me or not, firmly in my court. After all I am the one most affected if it all goes wrong as OP has found out.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I thought the obligation to read a meter was every two years .
    My meters are not read every three months with any supplier .

Every month Flow send an email asking for my months readings .
    On previous suppliers i have always given monthly readings .
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I confess that it is something that I have never got my mind around. It makes no sense to pay any supplier c.£1000 a year for a commodity and not check that the bill is correct?

The 2 year meter reading requirement was removed in Apr 2016.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I thought the obligation to read a meter was every two years .
    My meters are not read every three months with any supplier .

Every month Flow send an email asking for my months readings .
    On previous suppliers i have always given monthly readings .

OP might be on Priority Services Register, supposed to get a meter reader every quarter.

https://www.flowenergy.uk.com/guides/priority-services/
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2017 at 7:13PM
    I m flabbergasted that Flow actually read any meter at all let alone every 3 months.
    To my knowledge British Gas are the only supplier who will religiously read meters every quarter for them selves and Sainsburys Energy.
    Eon and Npower and SSE also have their own in- house meter reading teams who read 6 monthly but not for every customer, but these are likely to end very soon to cut costs of course.
    I think it has to be what trickytrees suggested and they are on some priority register for disabled, infirm or elderly and has requested it.
    In the 18 months I had with Robin Hood Energy and Daligas they never read the meter once between them, which is typical for today with smaller suppliers
  • icsys
    icsys Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Flow Energy DO read meters.
    Although the obligation to read every two years has been repealed

I have been with them now for just over two years and had meter readers knock at least twice (meters are in cabs around side, must be blind ??).

Someone came last month but I don't know which meter was read.
  • views
    Reads
    Useful
    Edit my settings
    comparethemarket.com

Published 2 days ago
    Comparethemarket.com FINE …

Comparethemarket.com FINE however---FLOW ENERGY POOR,POOR SERVICE and POOR ,POOR, EXCUSES - I switched to this energy supplier in December of 2016 my contract with FLOW ENERGY was coming to an end, so I decided to switch to a cheaper supplier, giving both FLOW ENERGY and my new supplier my final meter reading, It is now January 2018 and FLOW ENERGY, still have not paid back my credit of over £275 that was due at the end of December 2016. As you can imagine they have used several excuses over this long period as to why they still have not paid the monies owed to me, from we are still awaiting a final read, to we have now authorized your payment it will be paid within 14 days, to I have chased up the debt management team the monies will be in your bank by today, All lies after lies after lies. It is now 368 days from my contract end with FLOW ENERGY and still the excuses and dribble drip,drip,drip from this supplier. The normal practice for a supplier to refund credit after a switch is 14 days----have never had a problem with any other Energy supplier apart from FLOW ENERGY and have switched supplier on may occasions, DO NOT USE THIS SUPPLIER IF YOU DO NOT INTEND TO STAY WITH THEM FOREVER AND A DAY THEY WILL KEEP HOLD OF YOUR CREDIT TO ACCRUE INTEREST FROM YOU AND THEIR LEAVING CUSTOMERS, Ask yoursellf these questions before signing up to them. Are they the cheapest?, NO Wil they refund my credit within 14 days of switching.? NO Will they provide a good service? NO Will they keep hold of your credit when you leave to accrue interest ? YES Will they keep your credit for in excess of 365 days and make excuse and lie? Yes
    DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS SORT OF COMPANY. My experience is NO. I will keep you informed if they ever return my credit. (could show you all the e-mailed excuses) but suffice to say sign up to FLOW ENERGY AT YOUR OWN PERIL- IT WILL COST YOU MONIES IN THE LONG TERM
    SO REQUEST FOR OWN READING OF A METER DOES NOT SURPRISE
  • steven_p wrote: »
    views
    Reads
    Useful
    Edit my settings
    comparethemarket.com

Published 2 days ago
    Comparethemarket.com FINE …

Comparethemarket.com FINE however---FLOW ENERGY POOR,POOR SERVICE and POOR ,POOR, EXCUSES - I switched to this energy supplier in December of 2016 my contract with FLOW ENERGY was coming to an end, so I decided to switch to a cheaper supplier, giving both FLOW ENERGY and my new supplier my final meter reading, It is now January 2018 and FLOW ENERGY, still have not paid back my credit of over £275 that was due at the end of December 2016. As you can imagine they have used several excuses over this long period as to why they still have not paid the monies owed to me, from we are still awaiting a final read, to we have now authorized your payment it will be paid within 14 days, to I have chased up the debt management team the monies will be in your bank by today, All lies after lies after lies. It is now 368 days from my contract end with FLOW ENERGY and still the excuses and dribble drip,drip,drip from this supplier. The normal practice for a supplier to refund credit after a switch is 14 days----have never had a problem with any other Energy supplier apart from FLOW ENERGY and have switched supplier on may occasions, DO NOT USE THIS SUPPLIER IF YOU DO NOT INTEND TO STAY WITH THEM FOREVER AND A DAY THEY WILL KEEP HOLD OF YOUR CREDIT TO ACCRUE INTEREST FROM YOU AND THEIR LEAVING CUSTOMERS, Ask yoursellf these questions before signing up to them. Are they the cheapest?, NO Wil they refund my credit within 14 days of switching.? NO Will they provide a good service? NO Will they keep hold of your credit when you leave to accrue interest ? YES Will they keep your credit for in excess of 365 days and make excuse and lie? Yes
    DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS SORT OF COMPANY. My experience is NO. I will keep you informed if they ever return my credit. (could show you all the e-mailed excuses) but suffice to say sign up to FLOW ENERGY AT YOUR OWN PERIL- IT WILL COST YOU MONIES IN THE LONG TERM
    SO REQUEST FOR OWN READING OF A METER DOES NOT SURPRISE

Confused by the timeline. How long were you with Flow? Who did you switch to from Flow , when was that switch?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure