Smart meters - what is the catch?

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2017 at 12:40AM
    The current Tory government, or one of its Ministers, has deemed it suitable for the citizens of the UK to refuse a smart meter if they fancy.
    So that follows that all these dodgy solar power and old analogue meter users will want to keep the status quo for as long as possible and of course they will refuse a smart meter and make it very hard for their meters to be updated.
    A typical conversation took place the other week with one happy customer with a reversing meter ( thief ), who made it clear that not only would he refuse a smart meter he was nt going to open the door to any meter fitters who come to change the meter to a digital meter which will not reverse.
    When this sort of thing happens the suppliers will use the meter fitter to attempt a visit and just file it and come back in three months for another try , and another, and another etc and the years will tick by because no supplier will deem it appropriate to take out a warrant of entry merely to update a meter. No Magistrate would sign this warrant.
    Suppliers like Scottish Power and EDF are loath to spend money on warrants (at least £250 with a locksmith costs ) on straight bypassing and tampering of meters so a backward spinning meter will just be forgotten.This is how the "easy touch " UK operates.
    Suppliers are lax and stupid, and so is the Tory minister who bowed to the public and said "if you don t want a smart meter and want to keep tampering your electric and gas and retain your reversing meter thats fine by me.
    Hi

If the meter reverses then it has been deemed as unsuitable for connection to the grid by Ofgem (see earlier reference) & in allowing the continuance of connection the supplier is in breach of it's operating requirements. Upon discovering a new meter type which breaches requirements, the industry should have this added to the list of unapproved meters (see previous reference).

In a case of occupier refusal to have a non-compliant meter replaced, the supplier would be obliged, if for nothing other than safety/conformance reasons, to disconnect the supply to that meter by any means and then, if necessary, recover the cost through court action later.

Over 13 years have passed since the industry was made aware of the issue & 7 years have passed since the first microgeneration systems were installed under the FiT scheme, therefore regulatory obligations dictate that the oldest systems should have been inspected by the industry at least 3 times over that period & each time the industry had the obligation to replace the meters which they knew would reverse or were reversing .....

As such this has absolutely no relation to the question of smart-metering ... the industry is and has always been obliged to replace meters which do not conform and have failed in that obligation. The only logical explanation for this course of action (or lack of) would be that a decision has been made to save the cost of replacing a reversing analogue meter with an analogue or digital meter which doesn't reverse (for which the supplier is already charging within the bill and is responsible for the cost) in anticipation of installing a smart-meter which will boost their revenue by a project allowable additional charge of around £500 over time ... that's effectively almost £500 of pure additional profit to distribute to the shareholder base ...

Oh, by the way ... the legislation to enable FiT microgeneration within the UK was drawn-up and consultation concluded prior to the 2010 general election which saw the change of UK government from Labour to a Conservative/Liberal coalition ... if there is a political point to be scored, then as it looks like everyone has had their fingers in this crock-pot, all political parties need to receive an equal level of abuse ..

Now then, there are a number of reasons why people don't want smart-meters - mine is based on the technology not offering the information that I need and what would be classified as being 'smart' ... import, export, generation, diversion, net, accessibility, EMS, etc ... and, of course, being charged £12bn to £15bn extra for a project which the industry is obliged by license and charges for within the current tariffs anyway ... as such I believe the project borders on being an official scam ... then again there's the loss of tariff transparency which HHM registers and HHB/TOU tariffs creates ... how on earth can I look at a competitive offer and calculate how that would likely apply in my household with it's unique usage pattern without trawling through shedloads of data or trusting the 'industry' to guess the results for me ? ...

As stated, my meter doesn't reverse & I actually doubt that a significant percentage do either ... even if they did, the likelihood of the industry publishing data on how many would be affected would be pretty low considering that it would be admitting that they had been failing in their obligations in open view of the regulator ....

If there is an issue, it's one of greed and of the industry's own making ... If I was running Ofgem I'd certainly have recovered at least a couple of years of departmental running costs through issuing fines for failing to meet stipulated obligations.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    From the 2003 Ofgem consultation:

1. What impact does reverse energy flow have on the meter’s register (e.g. if the meter is mechanical in nature, does it have a back stop device to prevent the register decrementing)?
    Manufacturer

Notes

Elster
    Depends on the meter – all electromechanical meters are fitted with a backstop device. All electronic meters can be configured to deal with reverse energy flow. One in particular can be configured in an “Import/Export mode”.
    All meters can be configured to an “Imp/Rev flagging mode” – in this configuration the meter stores reverse energy flow in a separate (non-TOU) register. The main import register does not decrement in this mode.
    All meters can be configured to “Power flow insensitive” mode. In this configuration the import register will increment irrespective of the direction of power flow. Reverse energy flow is also stored in a separate (non-Time Of Use) register.

PRI1
    Reverse energy flow does not cause the import register to decrement.

ISKRA
    There is no impact on the register under reverse flow conditions

KAMSTRUP
    No currently certified single phase meters – one is pending pattern approval, but this meter will be subject to reverse energy flow testing.

Horstmann
    Forward energy registers do not decrement if reverse energy is passed through the meter (for all Horstmann models).

Actaris
    There is no impact on any of Actaris’ certified meters’ registers under reverse energy conditions.

Landis + Gyr
    Ferraris meters:
    Most Ferraris meters registers will decrement under reverse energy conditions. However, many meters can be fitted with a “Reverse-running Stop Option”. For those meters with this option, or those with built in back stop’s there is some form of indication on the face plate (see response to Q2).
    Static meters:
    Reverse energy flow has no impact on import registers. However, some meters have a reverse energy register, which can be read with customised hardware.

Ampy
    Reverse energy will not affect the operation of the import register. The register will stop at the point that forward energy is no longer being consumed.

I have PVSolar and an ISKRA meter which doesn't run backwards when energy is being generated.
  • zeupater
    Hengus wrote: »
    From the 2003 Ofgem consultation: ...

....ISKRA
    There is no impact on the register under reverse flow conditions ...

...I have PVSolar and an ISKRA meter which doesn't run backwards when energy is being generated.
    Hi

Same make as ours then ... (model E89E2) ... to the right of the wording "1 Phase 2 Wire" the first symbol (above '20-80A') represents that a ratchet based non-reversing mechanism is installed !

Note: I've just checked a random supplier on-line & they're £11.99/unit in non-volume sales .... so where does a £12-£15billion smart-meter replacement budget cost come from ? ... I suppose that's technically possible if each meter took around 3 man-days to install ... but the thing is - they don't !!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ...Suppliers are lax and stupid, and so is the Tory minister who bowed to the public and said "if you don t want a smart meter and want to keep tampering your electric and gas and retain your reversing meter thats fine by me.
    You've quoted this unnamed Tory Minister - any chance of providing the name of the Minister and the date on which the statement was made (unless you can provide a link to it of course).

Seems a bit unlikely that any Minister (regardless of party) would condone or authorise meter tampering... but if one has then I guess all us non-Smart meter customers can lawfully start tampering to our heart's content. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2017 at 8:57AM
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Same make as ours then ... (model E89E2) ... to the right of the wording "1 Phase 2 Wire" the first symbol (above '20-80A') represents that a ratchet based non-reversing mechanism is installed !

Note: I've just checked a random supplier on-line & they're £11.99/unit in non-volume sales .... so where does a £12-£15billion smart-meter replacement budget cost come from ? ... I suppose that's technically possible if each meter took around 3 man-days to install ... but the thing is - they don't !!

HTH
    Z
    You have one of the nasty cheap Slovakian rubbish old electromagnetic meters that are floating around the UK in small numbers. They came a lot later than analogue only electric meters and do have a backstop.
    Iskra had the cheek and stupidity to sell their digital electric meters for residential use with SEVEN dials.6 main dials with one for tenths leading to absolute mayhem in billing when meter readers translated the numbers on the meter to fit the five dials needed for all residential users.
    We had bills sent out of huge amounts (auto billing mess up again ) which made the local and national press.
    Like I said, the suppliers are just plain stupid.They have taken out a sensible human in the billing process to save money and have forgot to sensibly program their damn computer.
    Google "Sangamo Weston " which are extremely common around all of the UK even now.I have one in my outside box now and three of my close meter reading mates also have these meters .Every one will run backwards if given a chance providing the lucky occupier with a real money pot on top of his (usually free rent a roof installs ) solar panel eyesores.
    Sangamo Weston are a British company and their clockwork dial meters are made like a Swiss watch.Brilliant meters actually unlike the Slovakian tat from Iskra... Sangamo Weston meters are super common throughout the whole of the UK..See one reversing at a fast rate on Youtube if you google "Sangamo Weston running backwards "
    These Sangamo Westons also have another party trick which is also very common.They will stick and stop completely when a "blank " black digit drops down from somewhere on the 5 th digit (single kwh dial ), usually when two 9s are on the 3 rd and 4 th digits.
    I once found three stopped Sangamo Westons on one street alone. A sharp thump to the side will dislodge the sticking meter and restart it, much to the dislike of the happy occupiers who have been heating the house with heavy using electric fires over the winter months free of charge.
    Meter readers with no savvy will simply record the blank digit reading of a stuck Sangamo as a zero and the auto billing systems will bill a zero usage of electricity for years , even though they have a dual fuel account with normal gas usage with central heating.
    Suppliers are stupid .
    Smart Landis and Gyr electric meters cost over £100 each at least, similar price for the smart gas meters.
    The £11 billion is mostly taken up by unbelievably inefficient fitting teams and their infrastructure sauntering around the UK at a snails pace doing 1or 2 meters a day on a bad day..3 or 4 on a good day.No hurry for them, no bonus, may as well drag out the job because they will be on the dole when roll out complete in 2035 or later.
    Zeupater I think you are just envious of all the hundreds of thousands of happy users of Sangamo Westons and other popular analogue meters and their rent a roof solar panels, happily watching last nights electric use reverse backwards and give them a virtually zero electric bill over the full year.
  • Don’t be fooled, smart meters are not that smart, I had one installed by EDF it can’t communicate with the gas meter, I live in a normal sized bungalow with the electricity meter at the front door and the gas meter at the side of the house, the installer said it might be because the signal has to travel between two brick house walls.
    My friend had one installed today, he has a bigger distance between meters, the installer said he couldn’t fit the gas meter because the gas pressure was too high, well that’s his excuse.

There’s nothing you can do if your meter is not fit for purpose, once it’s installed they take no responsibility, anyone else could be prosecuted through the Trade Description act.

My advice to anyone thinking of having one installed is to wait until the equipment is suitable for use.
    Meters are not free we pay for them through our bills, the present equipment is useless for some.
  • Hi all

We now have a dedicated Smart Meters guide that may be of use.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • zeupater
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi all

We now have a dedicated Smart Meters guide that may be of use.
    Hi

Actually I'm quite surprised and disappointed that MSE has effectively swallowed the smart-meter propaganda so easily - hook, line & sinker .... anyone would reasonably think that the government's smart-meter guide had simply been transposed .... ;):D

Anyway, regarding 'free' ... really ?? ... Is that the same 'well over £12-thousand-million (£500/household) and probably closer to north of £15billion added to consumer bills' kind of free that I'm currently thinking of, or is it another kind of free, you know, the one which costs absolutely nothing over whatever period it's measured ... I don't even think that the latest adverts for smart-meters featuring the 'Gaz & Leccy' characters still claim that they're 'free' - I seem to have noticed changed wording recently! ...

Have a word in :money:'s ear & see if he's got the same idea after a little (that's very little!) amount of research .... Pretty unbiased start on the history here ... https://goo.gl/JJvqif ... but there's masses out there ..

HTH
    Z
    B)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Anyway, regarding 'free' ... really ?? ... Is that the same 'well over £12-thousand-million (£500/household) and probably closer to north of £15billion added to consumer bills' kind of free that I'm currently thinking of, or is it another kind of free, you know, the one which costs absolutely nothing over whatever period it's measured ... I don't even think that the latest adverts for smart-meters featuring the 'Gaz & Leccy' characters still claim that they're 'free' - I seem to have noticed changed wording recently.

HTH
    Z

I think that the ASA has been getting a large number of complaints.
  • What I really want to know is why I was made to have my old mechanical spinny wheel meter replaced with a small white box LCD meter. I was told in a random letter that turned up one day that it had to be replaced due age and that if I didn't allow them then they would get a court order and do it anyway.

This was a few years ago now but I still see what looks like even older mechanical meters still in use elsewhere. Why haven't these been replaced due to age then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure