PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour constantly trespassing in yard, claims right of way.

Options

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options
    I'd be tempted to ask anyone you know who has got a German Shepherd or Rottweiller (any large dog really) if they can come and stay with you for a while :D (I mean the dog not the relative/friend)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Mossfarr wrote: »
    If they actually own the gate then you may not have the right to padlock it. I would buy a sturdy piece of trellis and fix it across the gateway on your side. A couple of heavy planters in front of that too.
    They can still open 'their' gate but can no longer go through it (unless it opens outwards into your yard that is, in which case they won't be able to open it)!
    My understanding is the neighbour's property ends a few steps from their back door. Then there is a yard (owned by OP). Then a fence with the gate. Seems unlikely the neighbours would own the gate.....
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be tempted to ask anyone you know who has got a German Shepherd or Rottweiller (any large dog really) if they can come and stay with you for a while :D
    Nuhhh! No point really.

Better to have the German Sheperd to stay than the owner.
  • Skutter47
    Skutter47 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's correct, the gate is ours, it is the way out of our yard to the road, they have to cross the whole of our yard to get to it, it's definitely ours.

We will padlock it, and write them another letter, and i'll pop back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally, I think I would try to just live with this. If the garden/yard isn't being damaged whats the harm.

Life is too short to get upset about things like this. If their house was built with a back door, the builders must have envisaged that they would use it.

That said, if this is causing you stress or difficulty, you have every right to put up a padlock. You are perfectly entitled to stop people entering your property.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Indeed, this is what I can't understand either - assuming the door isn't a recent addition then surely the neighbours will have acquired some sort of right to use the yard.

Even if they have - they'd have to prove it.

Though, I gather, it's a low level of "proof" required - just a letter giving their word for it that they have basically.

But - for the sake of £20 - OP might as well put that padlock on and that should be that. I believe that padlock will have to stay put for 1 year 1 day and then that's that and any "time put in" by them towards trying to get prescriptive rights will have been "broken" and they'd have to "start again" piling up time towards it.??? Pretty sure that's how the law works....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally, I think I would try to just live with this. If the garden/yard isn't being damaged whats the harm.

Life is too short to get upset about things like this. If their house was built with a back door, the builders must have envisaged that they would use it.

That said, if this is causing you stress or difficulty, you have every right to put up a padlock. You are perfectly entitled to stop people entering your property.

The thing is though that isnt just literally a case of whether one is or isnt allowing a neighbour to get away with trespassing on your property.

The ramifications are wider than that - they affect house value as I understand it.

So - if a neighbour has legal rights to use some of your garden, then the value of your house decreases (ie because all your property isnt totally 100% for the use of yourself only). In reverse - I believe the value of their property increases (ie because they have the use of some property not belonging to them).

This may be the truth of why this woman is playing silly b*ggers - she may be trying to increase the value/saleability of their house (and not caring that, in the process, she'd be decreasing the value/saleability of OP's property).

There is also a possible question, I imagine, of what happens if this woman were to injure herself (eg by tripping on a loose flagstone or something) whilst crossing OP's yard. Would she be able to sue OP for an accident - even though the accident wouldnt have happened if she hadnt been trespassing on OP's property?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What if the neighbour were to claim they have maintained the yard and claim it as part of their own? Or things start going missing, or even worse, you come home to a shed or outbuilding on it!

Def padlock, then 101 it if they break in. Can you rig up some CCTV? Or dummy cameras and stickers? solar powered security light?
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long has the neighbor (or previous residents) been accessing their back door through your yard - as if its been over 20 years, there could potentially be a right of way now.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Since the Title Plans of the the two properties clearly (apparantly) show the boundary being 'a few steps' into the yard, and the rest of the yard falling within the OP's property, it is for the neighbour to prove a ROW exists across the land belonging to the OP.
    Is there a FENCE along the boundary (i.e. a few from their back door)?

If not, it could also be conter argued that the OP is "enjoying" part of his neighbours yard as if it was his own?

A sketch or satellite image would help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport