PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 1st July 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 July 2019 at 9:50PM in Old style MoneySaving
IT'S JULY ALREADY!!!

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week
Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Magnificent Monday ~Crabby kitchen!
Level One

Fling open those windows and let the lovely sunshine in
Clear and wipe worksurfaces
Empty and wash out the bin.. make it smell sweet!
Level Two
Wipe all appliances.. large and small
Wipe over units and kickboards
Sweep and mop the floor
Level Three
Sort and wipe a cupboard.. throw away all those germ harbouring chipped plates and mugs!
Thoroughly clean the oven and hob
Wipe the table.. does it need a clean cloth?

Extras
  • Make the most of the lovely weather and get that washing washed and hung out to dry
  • Wash any filters that need it.. don't forget the extractor hood!
  • Wash the windows if they need it
  • Clean/descale a small appliance.. shake the crumbs from the toaster.. defuzz the kettle...
  • Scrub out the fridge.. incorporate those 'slightly wilting' things into your meal plan!

Tingling Tuesday ~ Living Room/s, Hall, Stairs
Level one

Declutter the floors and flat surfaces
Empty and wash out wastepaper baskets etc
Level Two
Wipe sofas
Vacuum floors... or mop them.. whatever..
Wipe over any paintwork/doors etc
Level three
Vacuum under furniture you are able to move without injuring yourself
Wash any soft furnishings
Do a BIIIIIIG declutter... toys gone, shoes gone, paperwork gone...

Extras
  • Wipe and water neglected plants
  • Dust and deweb
  • Wash any windows that are in need
  • Binbag dance!

Wrinkly Wednesday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One

Clean floors in these rooms
Level Two
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three
Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins! (the proper bins not the rooms that look like bins!)
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it.. or just burn it!

Extras
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • clean the radiators in these rooms
  • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
  • Gather up the dirty laundry upstairs!!
  • HHI... a bit more gone!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• dancemum
    dancemum Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    :hello:
    I will be in from tomorrow afternoon. We will be going home in the morning from a lovely short break.

I will be doing a quick clean of the lodge before leaving x

Hope your foot heals well Kaz x
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm in as much as I can be. Busy week ahead.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Like Jazee - busy week ahead but I'm in at least partially
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the new thread. I’m in, another one with a busy week here but will fly as much as I can...

Wash loaded in machine ready for the morning. DH has cleared the ironing basket.

Early start for me tomorrow at paid stuff so will be heading to bed soon.

See you all tomorrow x
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread, Natty. I shall be around but need to follow my own list this week in order to prioritise.

This weekend I have done WMx3 and decluttered hair off Rosie's back and legs, so that when I hoover tomorrow there will be a vague possibility of the floor looking clean for half a day!

I am very tired, having had little sleep last night, and am thinking of giving in to an early night.

(((Hugs))) to all who need them, and GWS vibes to Kaz x

Will be back during the week, but it's another crazy one here.
  • Morning all,

I'm in, thank you so much. Raging sore throat and very little sleep, I am leaving at 2.30 today come what am. I'm already showered and checked online banking (1st is bills day for us). DS coughing like a trooper bless him.

Need to get a positive head on, I fear the BD is pecking at me, not had it for years, I'm too tired all the time to fight him off though.

Have lovely days all x
  • Jazee
    Morning all, just back from driving DH to work, couldn't persuade him to get his injuries looked at yesterday but he definitely can't drive.

Today I am out with a friend this morning, out again this afternoon, all dependent on DH being ok of course.

Just having a cuppa then I'll walk the dogs.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Jazee
    Welcome Organza Lace, always room for one more.
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Morning all

Welcome Organza Lace!

I’m showered, dressed and had breakfast, just finishing my cuppa then need to start paid stuff as I have an early meeting...

Wash load is swishing and the basket is empty again.... I could get used to this!

Plan to do a couple of hours paid stuff and then pop out for a bit of a top up shop and a walk before it gets too hot. The menu I planned for this week is not really going to work out so have rejigged it a bit and put in some more salads. It’s far too warm for cooking too much!

Right, cuppa finished, need to get started! Have a lovely day all. Hugs to any that need them x
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Morning :hello:

Welcome aboard Organza_Lace :)

I'm grabbing a hug BadCat - thank you xx

Back to working at the paid stuff from today - and my anxiety levels are going through the roof :o It's not helping that I have a (routine) mammogram appointment tomorrow. I'll be glad when that's over with. And breathe...

I'll be out of the house Monday to Friday, 8am til 5 pm, but I'll try and flutter a little every day.

White rabbits.
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income