Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Fingers crossed for your car Saturday, cars are expensive but sometimes a necessity. Do you really need a car ? Could DH occasionally get s taxi for his business meetings . Shopping delivered maybe. Hire car if you need to go away.

Glad you went volunteering , it's good to be busy , stops the mind wandering. I hope you are paid overnight as well.

Happy 1 year debt free Anniversary.
  • Thanks Cumbria. We didn't have a car for three years and life is much better with one.

For example our NT membership would be useless without one, we can't take things to the tip, getting to my stepad's house would take 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes, we couldn't go to a lot of places on Dartmoor, if we bought a bulky item from a charity shop we had to pay for delivery which makes it much less of a bargain.

The quality of our lives is much higher with a car, so we want to find the money somehow, even if it means cutting back on other things.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Actually the RM survey might work well for you.
    You get stamps & you can also get love to shop vouchers too.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HH maybe worth looking into doing postal surveys for RM. They last for 6 months and you get paid in stamps. I haven't bought a stamp for years and it only takes a few minutes a week xx

Thank you I'll look into that.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • I need to leave in a minute for my volunteering. It feels cold this morning but the sun is out. DH caught the 7.00am bus to his breakfast meeting!

When I get back I need to force DS1 to fill in a health form for his ESA :mad:, do some washing as I'm wearing my last pair of clean socks :eek:, empty the bins, and go for a walk if I have time.
  • Doing washing also.
    Good luck with the ESA form
    Enjoy the volunteering :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Positive vibes for the ESA form.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,828
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Enjoy your volunteering. I hope you got paid and that the car passes ok tomorrow xx

I do the RM surveys, it's a bit of a faff when it's a PO one, but it's nice to get the stamps and the vouchers. They do come in handy!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Are you getting anything out of surveys at the moment? I've just not got time but had had very little for a while anyway. It's the first thing that goes when I am tired. I did have a quick check on PA and actually had some - probably because I hadn't done any for ages.
  • Are you getting anything out of surveys at the moment? I've just not got time but had had very little for a while anyway. It's the first thing that goes when I am tired. I did have a quick check on PA and actually had some - probably because I hadn't done any for ages.

Comes and goes with me too, I find there's too much to do sometimes to be forever checking if anything's available:(

I like Pinecone, PopulusLive and YouGov because they email me when a survey is available:j

I'm not part of an in-demand demographic so it takes ages to rack up enough for a £50 YouGov payout. I received one last month but it took about 2 years to reach it:(. I'm considering unsubscribing from them. PopulusLive only pay out at £50 too and I'm now up to £44 so I'll stick with them a while longer. Their surveys are usually for £2 or £3 a time but are not all that regular. I've had a several payouts from them over the years though.

I've been reasonably successful with PA but at the moment, when I bother to check if anything's available, it's just short studies for less than £1 a time, sometimes as little as 35p:eek:. Still, beggars can't be choosers and every little helps;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback