PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    NM I haven't owned a stick vacuum . Eldest daughter tried two Dysons and had a lot of trouble with them . Opinions on the forum are very mixed on Dyson and GTech .

My Henry lives upstairs and I have a Shark Rocket True Pet downstairs .

There are probably good offers on Dyson at the moment as they have stopped making the corded versions .

I haven't had any problems with the Shark and it has a 5 year guarantee which you need to register with the manufacturer .

Well worth reading through all the reviews on Amazon as I did . There are cordless versions but I preferred to avoid the battery charging , a lot of buyers seem to buy a spare battery .

As for Henrietta do you have the turbo head ? I ordered one when I bought my replacement Henry and it makes life much easier as the head glides over the carpet rather than trying to pull it up .

Worth trying when you're hoping for ground floor living and hopefully no stairs .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    nursemaggie people seem to really like the Shark (which I've now forgotten the name of, aaarrrgh! it's called the "Lift and..something :o".) and I believe it's cheaper than the Dyson equivalent, but not sure if it's cordless if it's a cordless one you'd like.

I have a Morphy Richards cordless one I use for upstairs - it was only about £60 (but it was on special offer at the time). Its run time is only 10 minutes but that's more than long enough to do one floor, so should be okay for your flat when you get it. It uses very little power when recharging. very light and easy to use.

ETA The Shark one is the "Lift-away". I think.)
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Thank you polly and ivyleaf. you have both confirmed what I thought. The cheapest Dyson got good reviews but they all complained it did not last long enough on the charge. I should have said I wanted a cordless. I have a feeling I may not have much space.

Yes I did get the turbo head but don't think much of it. It did not pick up very well. DS said he was thinking of getting a Henry so I said if he does not mind Henrietta he can have her.

I first bought a Henry because we had one at work and it had been in use 17 years and still going strong. This one is 8 years old and is still like new.

I have a feeling my hay fever type allergy may be caused by all that jumping and running upstairs. DS wonders if they are causing structural damage as they just get noisier every day.

I am still going round in circles no one seems to understand how bad it is. I have to admit I have never heard anything like it before. They were banging until midnight last night for the third night in a row and then had me up again at 4am. We are beginning to wonder if the parents are going out at night and leaving them. The noise goes up 10 fold after about 6 pm.

I agree with DS how can they live with it. Not that the parents are quiet at all. There is also screams and shouts and the whole building is shaking most of the time. Everyone else must be complaining too.

I complained again last week and was treated as if it had just stated and I had not reported it at all. I now have to keep a diary. I told them there was not time to write the date and time between bumps.
  • pollyanna_26
    NM It's small comfort but you have an army behind you here . If thoughts , love , prayers and positive vibes from all will get you into that housing it will happen . It's been a long hard road for you since moving there but hopefully there's light at the ned of the tunnel .

There are a few different versions of the Turbo Head . Mine is the genuine Numatic Airo Power HiPro brush designed for all the named versions of Henry . I've seen a few on Am which are not by the original co and don't seem to do the job .

My corded Shark does have a lift off pod and an a long pole rather like the Dyson . It's useful for curtains , coving and stairs but a bit heavier than I imagined . I've just been searching my orders and mine is still on sale but there is an updated version .
    I have noticed that where my order came through Am but was delivered speedily from Shark , there are now various sellers .
    I prefer to order from the manufacturer rather than sellers so worth thinking about .

Ivyleaf I'm glad you have light again . Hope your son can fix your lamp soon . You did well raising an offspring to be trade . Just hope it isn't like the cobblers wife as trades are always busy .

It isn't the same without monna . I'm coping by following her thought for the day last week on procrastination . She did say next week !

Doing a bit and stopping for a while is pretty good .

polly

• nursemaggie
    I am not planning on buying from Amazon Polly. AO.com are much cheaper and local. They are only in Farnworth. It stand for appliance on line. I bought the turbo from a link on here can't remember who put it up.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't know what to say to you all for your kind words.

I don't have any social skills, I don't have friends, I've never had a friend.
    Phones are also a problem, I find them difficult.
    Silver oldie, post away we are all hear to listen, I keep wittering on about my ankle and it's nothing serious I just like to whinge, lol.

I had a fall a few days ago. Didn't close the draw under the bed. Hit it with my now yellow bruised shin and then fell over, and I have a 'beautiful' black/blue knee.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • nursemaggie
    It's never too late to learn silver-oldie. You have lots of friend on here. you will soon learn who we all are.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2018 at 7:09PM
    Ouch, silver-oldie! Have you any Arnica cream? That's brilliant for bruises. I really empathise about phones, I hate using them too. I need to ring the hospital, because I'm waiting for an appointment letter and need to let them know I'll soon be going away for 10 days - you can bet your boots they'll send me an appointment for while I'm away - but I dread ringing them, especially as I'm usually passed from pillar to post as everyone says "Oh, that's not us, you need extension so-and-so", so I ring that one, and that one is wrong as well.

I keep telling myself "I'll ring them later," and that then becomes "I'll ring them tomorrow."
    Just like monnagran's recent Thought For Today - "What do we want? Procrastination! When do we want it? Next week!"

pollyanna Yes, you're quite right - DS is always saying "Ooh yes, I need to do such-and-such!" but it just doesn't get done because he's so busy working for other people!
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    Hello all,
    Just popping in to send hugs to anyone who is in need. It sounds like quite a few of you.
    I haven't been posting on here lately but I have been reading along.
    NM do you think your allergy could be from stress, caused from those up above you ? I hope you get another place very soon.
    Softstuff It must be so difficult for you being so far away but I hope that everything works out for your Mum. My late MiL had dementia but she was only ever pleasantly confused. She told us one day that she had had a lovely trip to Australia ( she was in hospital at the time with a UTI ). She described everything from the plane to the pilot, who turned out to be a male nurse, who was wearing a white jacket :rotfl:. It was easier to go with her stories than try to put a spanner in her works, so to speak, because she had an answer for everything.
    silver-oldie I don't have any close friends either. Sending you extra hugs from a virtual friend.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • pollyanna_26
    silver-oldie Once upon a time each of us were newcomers to the various tough threads . I was a nightmare , I mixed everyone up and forgot what I meant to say . Only dear Lyn kept me posting .

It's common when your mind is overloaded and you're exhausted to end up with knocks and bruises as your mind is elsewhere rather than focused on the job in hand .

There aren't rules that say you have to post about things you don't feel you want to or can .

Talk about things you like . Do you read , knit or have a garden ? If you can find one thing that feels positive it's a start .

My youngest is just getting help she should have had over the last 20 years . She still has anxiety , phone phobia and other things going on but she is moving forward as she now has the form of counselling that is changing her life .

It's never too late to make one or two small changes to see how things go . I lost a lot of long time friends when I decided to support my dd . Sometimes now life is too full . You don't have freedom due to caring duties . I can understand phoning a helpline is a step too far at the moment but maybe consider emailing when you're ready .

Meanwhile you're very welcome on this old fence .
    polly x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure