PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Katey1980 :)

Also just remembered that I spent £1.39 on 2 litres milk (corner shop prices lol) so total is now £29.18.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all id like to join in with the grocery challenge this month!!

Im going to start with £400 and see what we spend as havent done this before. That feeds me and my husband and our 3 kids, DD1 nearly 5, DS who is 3 and DD2 who is 1 but still having some formula milk.

Currently we are at £9.31/£400
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    A spend of £13.85 today, mainly on coffee and soap powder but I also got 50 cocktail sausages ready cooked at Sainsbu rys for £1. It is not a ys price so hopefully it will help people :)

I'll update my signature.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Hi I'd love to join in Cassandra92 and £80 for the month please.

Plan is to use up all the food in cupboards and freezer and not be too lazy to remember to get food out to defrost the night before and be brave enough to use my slow cooker.
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Nsd for me again today and received in post 5 nectar mocs for sainsbobs£6 off a £30 spend so i know where i am shopping after next week:)
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Ds wanted to nip to sainsburys to buy a toy he wanted out of his xmas money, whilst there I had a look in the reduced sections and managed to buy:
    2 x large chickens @ £2.25 each 3 meals out of each chicken
    2 x pks bacon @ £1
    4 x loaves of bread @ 50p each ... this will last us 2 weeks
    1 pack of mushrooms @£1
    1 500g cheddar cheese @ £1.46
    2 x sandwich thins @ 34p each (for ds's packed lunches next week)
    1 x pack of hot cross buns @ 32p ... breakfast for saturday
    2 x 2pts skimmed me @ 17p each .. for the freezer
    Indigestion medicine for dh @ £3.55

Total £15.75

With all the above and what I already have in I'm sure I have enough food in to last 5 weeks, so will only have to buy fresh veg, milk and bread when the freezer stocks run out.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• Spent £23.40 at Tesco yesterday, needed cat food, toothpaste, mouthwash. Had some coupons to use by yesterday so picked up a couple of things that I would normally get with weekly shop. Bought bottle of wine for£4.99 to go with dinner yesterday. Yesterday total spend £28.39

Much better today, picked up pears in the reduced counter of local shop, 50p for six.

Total spend to date £28.89
    Make £5 a day: Jan £6.20/ £155
    £2 Club = £8.00;50p Club = £10.00;20p Club = £9.80
    Take Lunch To Work: Jan 6/20 GSC = £51.16/£240; VSP=£1.78
    THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN GETTING UP FOR WORK IS NOT HAVING ANY WORK TO GET UP FOR.
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    First weekly shop of the month at Ald! today and spent £9.58. Very little needed due to stocks in freezer and cupboard from which I've meal planned for the week - just a few fresh bits, packed lunch bits and dental sticks for our 2 doglets.

Tonight was the third day of our Ald! duck and we've had that tonight in pitta breads with cucumber and plum sauce. Still got half of one breast, one leg and some oddments left so they've gone in the freezer for another day.

Tomorrow night is baked potatoes with beans and cheese that I'd grated and put in the freezer. Keeps really well and another tip I picked up thanks to someone who posted it on the OS board.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    First spends of 2014 in Mr m's, only popped in for a bit of fruit and spent £34.04 but that was cat food and litter as well as cleaning bits. I get 10% discount as mil works there so have decided that will buy savings stamps with the 10% so spend includes £3 of savings stamp. Plan is that November and December will have a good built saved up too use when have xmas expenses.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • Billie-jo wrote: »
    Cant say from a personal point of view but my brother has recently brought this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9055908.htm
    and has rung me a few times to say how great it is. He has done chicken, fish, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots and a few other things in it so far. Says it saves in energy as no large oven to heat up and he also said that if his oven ever broke he wouldn't bother replacing it now.

NSD number 2 and for tea we had some hm mushroom soup out of the freezer and used some more of the pork up by doing pork salad rolls.
    Lunch we had a pizza and added to it, a couple of sliced past their best mushrooms and a rasher of bacon cut up. Made rocket salad as well to use up and had this with the pizza. Nothing thrown away at all yet.

We have an actifry and it's amazing and you can use spray oil. We do everything it it, but to be honest the chips are the best - just done with spray oil, they taste amazing and turn a spud or two into a good traditional favourite which is low cost and low fat : )
    Grocery challenge Setting a £20 a week food budget for myself and 6 year old son. Month of jan budget £100.

Shopping spend since 30/12/13 £27/100.

Sealed pot challenge No. 291 ?? -will find out when open it : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure