PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    scotsaver, I've added the Cumberland Pie to our recipe index :beer:
    I keep hearing good things about the 'dinner lady' recipe books

< mutters> I will not go to Amazon, I will not go to Amazon, I will not go to Amazon :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £6.93 yesterday in the co op so total spent now stands at £30.26 for the month so far.

Going to go through cupboards again today and finish next weeks meal plan. The kids are back to school tomorrow so will stop eating everything in sight (hopefully).
    November NSD's - 7
  • Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    I spent a lot this weekend. We have a bank holiday so there are a lot of special offers. I got a load of cans of fizzy drinks, as we do use those in the summer (between taking to the plot and on picnics, and rather than opening a 2l bottle which would go flat before we finish it). So I got a tray of diet coke for only €8 and effectively a half tray each of rock shandy and 7up for less than €4 each - both of which are good prices. I got a box of beer as well to last the summer and a few bottles of wine on special whic will last weeks too.

Helmanns is on its summer offer (the 50% extra free large jar) so I got one to last until the same offer at Christmas. I needed rice, but that was also reduced so I got 3 bags rather than 1 (we use a fair bit). I thought there was an offer on washing up liquid but it was only on the tiny bottles so I returned those (proud of myself over that - actually need to amend sig to take that out again).

I got a LOT of fruit and veg, and a fair bit of meat. (Chicken drumsticks were planned and then on offer, lamb chops, bacon joint and large tray sausages to freeze).

Oops, gotta go - DD is wheezing and needs a doc.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spent £38 in Mr S yesterday, had a good shop though, they had pringles on three for the price of 1 which is such a good deal if you like pringles - we don't unfortunately.

Nat
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 June 2011 at 9:13AM
    Morning

Just popping on to update.
    I said in my first post that junk/takeaways would not be in my grocery budget this month but the fact that there is pretty well nothing left in my 'other spends' budget has forced a rethink! i.e. it will! So I'm already up to a too high for comfort £103.74. Will try to have a cheap A*da shop this week and a use-up.

I'm also committing the sin of having a veg box delivered and not using it.
    I've got some slightly yellow broccoli which I'll make into soup today and 100g of spinach which seems to be too little for any of the recipes I've got - make a salad I think.
    Courgettes I chop and freeze for a veg soup recipe I have - what else do people make with courgettes?
    Carrots I grate and freeze to put in spag bol when I make it or slice thinly and freeze for sweet and sour.
    That just leaves the cabbage and spuds which we'll have for dinner with some gammon. There - just need to get off my a*se and do it now! (and catch up with the thread:o)

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    franby64 wrote: »
    Morning

Courgettes I chop and freeze for a veg soup recipe I have - what else do people make with courgettes?

Courgettes can be used in cakes just like carrots - there's a muffin recipe in the lists on page one. I don't really like them so this is a boon for me as they are nice in cake.:rotfl:

I also put it grated in bolog etc just like the carrot.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    NSD today and on my list by the kettle I have only got Disinfectant and Loo rolls, neither of which are urgent as I have enough for a couple more days but they are there to remind me that I shall need to buy some at some point this week.Only spent just over a couple of quid so far this month .I am really doing necessities only this month as its 10 weeks till our holiday so more pounds hung onto means more to spend on holiday.
    Lunch today will be some sliced ham with a fried egg on top as a quick lunch.Dinner is at DDs tonight.I will do my menu plan tonight when I get home for this week.Still got quite a bit in the fridge as I was out all day yesterday so never had to cook at all.
    Good luck everyone with this month, food prices are said to be rising again so another notch on the belt I think.:):)
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, sorry to be late posting, last month I came under budget at £432.17!!! This month, we've been away, so I'd like to put down £250 for the rest of the month!

Off to update my signature now!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • Good morning everyone,

have chicken defrosting and will cook overnight in slow cooker for dinner tomorrow. That will free up a space in my freezer for any bargains I spot at the whoopsie counter tomorrow when I pop in to A**A. Have written my shopping list and it consists of ten items. I am determined to stick to it (apart from any irresistable bargains)

Weather here has turned cooler again so having hm soup for lunch. Had made a huge pot last month and froze in portions, so no hassle. Batch cooking certainly works for me.

Hope you all have a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 June 2011 at 12:45PM
    had a couple of NSD's :j
    fridge freezer has packed up and so had to squeeze all my frozen stuff into the other freezer under the stairs but it made me realise just how much meat and stuff we have and so will aim to use it up this month, have had to throw somw stuff away from the fridge , (pate and ham ) and the butter, cheese and milk i have put in the freezer too

hippeechiq hope they can soon get to the bottom of DD's problem and well done on coming under budget :T
    spiggle hope you are ok xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport