PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! £40 to feed family for the month

Options

Comments

• mbaz
    mbaz Posts: 895 Forumite
    Options
    Really like the watering down milk suggestion as we drink semi here so will buy full. Think I've got enough flour for baking in. Will do my own stuffing and have removed caserole mix. I'll be doing this for under a tenner at this rate!
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Obviously i’m not sure what supermarkets you have access to, but every little helps

goodluck x

Tesco Sage & Onion Stuffing Mix 170g £0.58 – They sell a value version for about 20p ish

Tesco Value Whole Chicken 1.30kg £2.79 – do you have an aldi, i got a chicken for £2.20 there.

2 x Tesco Value Chopped Tomatoes 400g £0.42 – Buy whole and chop them yourself, they’re cheaper.

2 x Tesco Whole Milk 3.408ltr/6 Pints £4.24 going to freeze one and this will hopefully last us Asda are selling 4 pint cartons of cravendale for £1.00

2 x Onions Loose Class 2 £0.36 – Sainsburys are selling a bag of basic onions and carrots for 40p until tomorrow i believe, some fruit also.

Colmans Traditional Chicken Casserole Mix 40g £0.47 – supermarket own brand are cheaper, taste fine though.
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to be so mean! in that case you just need 1 of the milk, keep an existing bottle to pour half into and freeze, or a couple of bottles so you can have a fresh one each week.

i'd certainly boil the chicken bones once you've removed most of the meat, it'll get every last bit of meat off and make a lovely stock ,to which you can add your lentils.and some potatoes if you want.

do you need spread/marg?
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck! Lidl has bags of onions at 20p, about 5 medium/large ones in there. Somerfield has Catherdral City (think it's this, the one in the reddish packet anyway) 400g for £2, don't know if you have either of these near you though?

Don't forget egg and chips - my favourite meal actually!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    how about sprouting beans? Very cheap and good for you, especially if you like crunchy salads, linky here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=134746&highlight=sprouting+seeds
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • mbaz
    Options
    Brilliant thanks everyone! Have a lidl, Aldi, Asda and Tesco cloeby so am goingto split my list up between them. I can walk to them all so will have a good exercise day tomorrow!

Of course what I've not even mentioned are breakfast and lunches. Breakfast can use some porridge I suppose but will need to get some (value) weetabix as my boys live of that. Lunches will have to be homemade bread with grated cheese (seems to go further if grated?) and I'll do some baking as lots of baking stuff in.

I'll keep this updated as it will also help me keep to meal planner (especially 24th!!) I'll let you know how much my shopping comes to tomorrow - should be well less than £20 though! Maybe I'll buy a euromillions ticket on friday!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Need to do something similar myself this month - finances are dire at the moment.

This month will definitely have to be a use up month. Going to do a freezer/fridge/storecupboard inventory and menu plan like mad. I know there's plenty of flour in there so I'll be baking up a storm. OH will be delighted! Already made a sponge cake for today. It's not risen very well but hey ho it'll taste OK.

Tonight is a veggie mousakka (left over veg from yesterday) and some whoopsi roast parsnips. 2 of us so hoping to get two meals from the mousakka. Only used half of the parsnips tonight - the rest will go into a stew tomorrow. The stew will have plenty of veg and will make 2 or 3 meals. I'll freeze some for later in the month.

Noticed you'd got plenty of eggs, if you can make pastry you could do a large quiche. Basically you can shove just about anything in it. Filled omlettes are another way of using any bits and bobs.

Like the other poster recommend bacon missshapes (usually about £1 a bag), bacon and cheese jacket potatoes with baked beans, quiches etc, add to pasta, soups and stews.

Sausage casserole is good = you can make do with one or two sausages per person (depends whether thick or thin) and loads of veg and potatoes.

Dumplings are dead easy and help stretch the stews and casseroles.

I'm just going to take a peek at the store cupboard challenge for some ideas.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to say, good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    For cereal, Lidl do 99p boxes, or your idea of porridge sounds good. I think someone suggested dried fruit- you could stir some raisins through it, or even value/cheap jam as a wee sweet treat in the morning.
    If you could get some cheap whoopsied fruit you could make a nice pudding treat with that, and some crumble on the top (flour, oats, cinammon, little butter).....mmmmmm, serve with value custard or evapourated milk!
    Ok, hope it works out.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• mbaz
    Options
    ooo! just found some frozen berries in back of freezer!! will make some puddings or muffins with those throughout month. I think we are going to eat better than normal!

I'm not going to tell OH how tight budget is to the real test will be if it goes unnoticed! lol
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    yum! or you could add to value jelly, though cakes would make them go further and you have most of what you need. i've been using oil instead of butter as it's cheaper (1/2 the amount of oil instead of the full amount of butter)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure