On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 797
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Ovo's EV-everywhere tariff which has Economy 7 gets two years Polar subscription included in the cost.

Err ... isn't this where we came in?

Surely I was posting to say that I'd need to take a £100 plus hit on my bill to switch to OVO (so it would be far from 'free' for me, or anyone else for that matter).
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    orrery wrote: »
    Err ... isn't this where we came in?
    My bad. I had a senior moment and thought you were on about saving money with the V2G charger.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2018 at 2:29PM
    It has been our first full week on Octopus Go Tariff since getting the EV.

We also have access to the data from the api Octopus provide, giving the following results:

Just over 70% of our elecricity imported at the 5p/kWh rate; so working out at an average of 7.725p/kWh for all the electric we import.

Having Solar PV helps during the day, as it lowers the % import.

Also hoping for V2H to become available in the UK at a reasonable cost.

However, I still can't currently justify getting a home battery, if I can import electricty at an average cost of less than 8p/kWh.
    From the costs I have seen so far, for even the cheapest home batteries, each kWh costs at least 8p (if you divide the total cost of the fully installed battery by how many kWh you can expect to get out of it during it's lifetime).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    This seems relevant
    My PW2 is in the garage. I thought about having it on an outside wall to save space in the house. Then I decided that it doesn't take up that much room and it will stay in better condition out of the weather.

Although I can't justify it on a cost basis, I am pleased with it as it has certainly reduced the amount of electricity I import. 223kWh since early April when the PW2 was fitted.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    Possibly this is more Green news, but I think is important on this thread:

Moixa Rolls Out GridShare Distributed Storage Management Service
    UK energy storage provider Moixa announced its new GridShare AI platform to manage the world’s largest cluster of residential energy storage installations with 35 MWh across 3,500 homes in Japan.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • TrevorL
    TrevorL Posts: 18 Forumite
    Zarch wrote: »
    So they've got these 2.4kWh Pylontech USB2000 Plus battery listed for £760+vat. so £316 per kWh..... we anywhere near tipping point yet? :)

2.4kWh - £760
    4.8kWh - £1520
    7.2kWh - £2280
    9.6kWh - £3040

As the batteries are single units you don't get a sliding scale of value as you ramp up the capacity. Just multiply the price. Although maybe some multi buy discount if you asked?

And they've got the inverter listed separately at £619+vat.

Yes, we'd be happy to do you a PowerBanx X bundle price if you took more than one battery - no problem. However, the new PowerBanx SX battery systems are cheaper again.
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    TrevorL wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words. I've only just seen this so if anyone has any questions, just ask.

Meanwhile, as well as the PowerBanx X range of battery systems, using the Sofar inverter and Pylontech batteries, we have just launched a new PowerBanx SX range using SolaX equipment. These are more advanced, with G100 capability (so no need to get permission before installing them) but actually work out a fair bit cheaper. Unfortunately I'm not yet able to post links on this forum, but you should find the details with a Google for 'New product announcement PowerBanx SX'.

Hello and welcome, interesting info, and nice to see clear pricing including VAT info and install.

Can I just say, and sorry if I seem like a pedant, but please make sure you don't / aren't breaking any MSE rules about business posting, as it would be really good to have some professional advice and chat on this issue.

It may be that you can't promote your product, but hopefully can answer questions and give advice.

Thanks again, and all the best.

• Martyn1981
    Forumite
    On a more general issue, as I see these batts are rated at 6,000 cycles with a DoD of 100%, I recently watched some posts from a US DIY'er building home systems.

Now, he was talking about Tesla batts (not the PWII) but batt packs, and suggested (more like a casual throwaway remark, which is what caught my attention) that limiting use to a 10% to 90% range could give 20,000 cycles.

Not asking you to comment on Tesla, or any battery specifically, but in general, is that suggestion reasonable, possible, unlikely etc ...... ?

• TrevorL
    TrevorL Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2018 at 1:11PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Can I just say, and sorry if I seem like a pedant, but please make sure you don't / aren't breaking any MSE rules about business posting, as it would be really good to have some professional advice and chat on this issue.

Thanks. Good point - I've just checked the rules and they're pretty strict so I will avoid giving any links to our products or mentioning prices again.

I believe I am fine to answer questions, and am happy to take any on solar, storage and electric cars.

Having since reviewed the rest of the thread I can see there are a lot of unanswered questions. I will try to address the most obvious ones here. Note that while the answers are applicable to our products 'other products are available' so the information should be of general use.
    1. Most storage systems can now do at least 3kW power, some go as high as 15kW.
    2. Storage capacities range from 2.4 kWh to 25.2 kWh.
    3. Financial calculation models are available that can calculate the payback for your particular circumstances - but the basic assumption is that you're out during the day so the battery can capture otherwise wasted solar.
    4. Economy 7 is available for topping up the batteries in the winter when solar generation is reduced.
    5. Systems generally have power cut backup capability.
    6. The latest systems have 'G100' capability. This basically means they can be wired in such a way that you don't have to ask for permission in advance to install them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback