Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• Principality 4% Regular Saver can be opened by post. I did
    Originally posted by nomorekids
    ”Except...
    " Only available to Members who’ve been with us for two years or more, this bond, with a one year term, offers regular saving at an exclusive rate to reward loyal savers and mortgage customers."

Do they do these regularly? Seriously considering opening one of their instant access e-savers to be my holding account (pays the same as my current one) to get access to a future issue. Plus I really like the sound of a building soc that rewards loyalty instead of ignoring customers...
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Viking_mfw wrote: »
    Do they do these regularly? Seriously considering opening one of their instant access e-savers to be my holding account (pays the same as my current one) to get access to a future issue. Plus I really like the sound of a building soc that rewards loyalty instead of ignoring customers...

Do you have to live within their post code boundary?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    aj23 wrote: »
    Do you have to live within their post code boundary?

Seemingly not. The two year rule is the only one I can see.
  • aj23_2
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Seemingly not. The two year rule is the only one I can see.

I don't live near a branch anyway so wouldn't be able to open one via another account. But 4% on £250 is a good deal.
  • aj23_2
    Saffron BS 12 Month Fixed Rate Regular Saver (Issue 3)

It says "To open this account you need to have held a savings account or mortgage with Saffron BS for at least 6 months." but I opened one without holding any previous Saffron products. It's open to anyone in the country, as long as you open it in branch.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A reminder that the Virgin Regular Saver Issue 2 (Store) is due to mature tomorrow - just in case anyone has forgotten.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • My (second) TSB Monthly Saver (2% fixed) matures on 23 February. I see that the current offer for a new Monthly Saver is still 2% fixed, despite the Base Rate rise in November. Last year, this was a reasonable rate for an account of this type but current offerings are better. I have all the usual high interest RS's and current accounts, so it wouldn't be a case of taking out an alternative. I am thinking of not taking out a new TSB MS immediately but waiting to see if the offered rate goes up.Just wondered if anyone has done similar or has any views on this?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I am thinking of not taking out a new TSB MS immediately but waiting to see if the offered rate goes up.Just wondered if anyone has done similar or has any views on this?
    Mine ended earlier this month and I haven't bothered to open another one. I've got a Tesco saver at 1.35% and the MSE Regular Savings Calculator tells me I'd only be a tenner better off by opening the TSB RS for a year. If they up the rate I will reconsider. Not very MSE of me but there comes a point where I cba
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I never reopened mine when it ended, as the rate dropped, I used the money to fund FD and HSBC RS instead, and the excess is put into virgin RS.

If you have nowhere else, then cant see why not, but you maybe better in an account with access at a slightly lower rate like Tesco instead of refunding TSB.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Mine ended earlier this month and I haven't bothered to open another one. I've got a Tesco saver at 1.35% and the MSE Regular Savings Calculator tells me I'd only be a tenner better off by opening the TSB RS for a year. If they up the rate I will reconsider. Not very MSE of me but there comes a point where I cba
    Same here, my TSB has a while to run yet, but I wouldn't commit money into a new regular saver for only 2%, or risk losing the opportunity to open one when/if the rates go up a bit.

The BM account at 1.45% will do me until other banks refresh their RS rates.

The other account which people might find more interesting following the recent switch offer is the NatWest Savings Builder. It is not especially attractive if you aren't already a NatWest customer, but if you've just opened a current account and got online access for that, then the Savings Builder offers the potential of 1.5% on £5000 - effectively 'easy access' if you manage it right. Technically a regular saver, but doesn't have to be :cool:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport