Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

NHS pension Special Citcumstances

Help required I am being told i am not eligible for special circumstances because i had a career break .However I am married to a m bet of HM forces and we were posted overseas just after my first child was born and then came back just before my second child was born This accounted for 7 years of my career break .I started training in 1983 left in 1993 and then rejoined in 2002 and have only had one other career break from 2008 until 2011 I have also lectured at University which required a nurse registration so i commuted my NHs pension . I then returned to NHS practice in 2015 and am a band 6 I want to retire at 55 next year and feel it is unfair to be penalised for being a military wife and having to chop and change jobs Can anyone advise ??

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You might have more chance of getting a reply posting on the main pensions board.

Nobody seems to read this one.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are not being penalised for being a military wife. You are not being accorded this very specific entitlement because you don't meet the criteria for a number of reasons: Too long a career break and not having five years service prior to retirement.

Have a read of the following: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2017-02/Special%20Class%20status%20member%20factsheet%2002.2017%20(V6).pdf

The rules don't allow the employer any flexibilty to allow career breaks for certain reasons and not others, irrespective of how worthy the reasons might be.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure