Night storage heaters?

seashore22
seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Another question about heating a local authority home. Sorry.

My daughter is bidding on social housing at the moment due to a difficult marriage breakdown. The latest property has night storage heating and I would appreciate some guidance about this type of heating.

I know it is more expensive, but I read somewhere that it is 3 times as much as gas central heating would be. Although she's prepared to pay more because the location means that she will save on other things, that might be too much. How bad is it really?

The property is a 2 bed flat and she has two small children.

Thank you.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    The heaters are better now than they used to be - and night storage heating should mean she has economy 7 electricity.

Heating will be pricy but you can mitigate the effect by running other things off the cheap electricity. I time dishwasher, washing machine and dehumidifiers to come on at night, and get up early to do all the breakfast activities before the cheap electricity switches off at 8am.

There is even a tariff giving free night time electricity but there are a few hoops to jump through.

https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ebico-night-owl/
  • seashore22 wrote: »
    I know it is more expensive,...
    How do you know that?
    seashore22 wrote: »
    ...... but I read somewhere that it is 3 times as much as gas central heating would be. ...

Don't believe eeverything you read.
    Do your own research ... and check the reliability of any research you then seek to rely upon.
  • fatbelly wrote: »

There is even a tariff giving free night time electricity but there are a few hoops to jump through.

https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ebico-night-owl/

MSE didn't give it a too favourable report last year.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/11/free-electricity-at-night-for-economy-7-with-ebico---but-is-it-cheap/

It only seemed to be potentially good for customers that neared the 60% night time limit (and use any more than 60% and you face the possibility of being moved off it)
  • Peak/anytime rate electricity is about 3x the price of gas. Storage (off-peak) electric heating is a bit more expensive per kWh billed, but you don't have boiler inefficiency.

Providing your storage heaters are adequately sized, and you use off-peak hot water, a 2-bed flat should be affordable to heat with storage heaters, especially if you don't have too many outside walls.

Warning - storage heaters are not considered Low Surface Temperature. With very young children, guards may be advised.
    http://www.aianos.co.uk/heater-guards/storage-heater-guards/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it is more expensive, ....
    How do you know that?

I think what the OP is referring to is comparing it to communal heating which the OP's daughter was bidding on in a thread last week ... and still has that bid open apparently. ;)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5895027

That essentially would have 'free' heating to the tenant, but the cost is included in the much higher rent that the OP indicates applies to that property.
    So anything that is not free is presumably more expensive :rotfl:
  • seashore22
    wavelets wrote: »
    I think what the OP is referring to is comparing it to communal heating which the OP's daughter was bidding on in a thread last week ... and still has that bid open apparently. ;)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5895027

That essentially would have 'free' heating to the tenant, but the cost is included in the much higher rent that the OP indicates applies to that property.
    So anything that is not free is presumably more expensive :rotfl:

More expensive than gas central heating. I thought that was implied in the post, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. Am I wrong in thinking electric heating is pricier than gas?

I hate to be one of "those" people, but your post sounds a bit sneering. Am I also wrong there?
  • seashore22
    Peak/anytime rate electricity is about 3x the price of gas. Storage (off-peak) electric heating is a bit more expensive per kWh billed, but you don't have boiler inefficiency.

Providing your storage heaters are adequately sized, and you use off-peak hot water, a 2-bed flat should be affordable to heat with storage heaters, especially if you don't have too many outside walls.

Warning - storage heaters are not considered Low Surface Temperature. With very young children, guards may be advised.
    http://www.aianos.co.uk/heater-guards/storage-heater-guards/

Thank you, that was very helpful. All of our houses have been gas central heating via radiators and I have no experience of other types or the costs involved.
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 September 2018 at 2:35PM
    More expensive than gas central heating. I thought that was implied in the post, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. Am I wrong in thinking electric heating is pricier than gas?
    Depends.
    It certainly is expensive if you are heating using normal cost electricity. As you read somewhere, and Owain Moneysaver concurs, a kWh of electricity is about 3 times the cost of gas
    But E7 gives you 7 hours of cheap rate electricity per day. Typically that can be 50-70% less than the normal rate. And it doesn't just apply to electricity you use for heating, but electricity you use for everything during those 7 hours per day low the low rate tariff applies
    Also it's not as simple as comparing the price of a kWh of electricity to gas.
    Electricity heaters are 100% efficient; gas fired central heating is not.
    I hate to be one of "those" people, but your post sounds a bit sneering. Am I also wrong there?
    For that question I give provide a more definitive answer. YES. :)
  • Is the property 'off-gas' in which case all the above is a waste of the alphabet ?

- postcode in here
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is the property 'off-gas' in which case all the above is a waste of the alphabet ?

Why?
    As I understand it, the OP's daughter is looking for a property to rent. She has already expressed an interest in at least two different properties with different heating systems.

My understanding is that the OP is trying to assist the OP in deciding which property (and there may be more options available in the future, if the OP's daughter can wait) to choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure