PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What happens if vendors don't remove agreed stuff?

Options
Found a house, offer been accepted and mortgage application in.

Currently in the process of discussing with the vendors via the estate agents as to what will be left/what will be removed. There was a large pile of bricks in the front garden and all of the garden fence panels piled high in the back garden that we've asked to be removed which they have agreed to. They also asked if we wanted all of their white goods (ancient) and wardrobes etc (they were broken and falling apart) which again we declined. The couple are divorced and both have moved out, they have relatives living there for the time being.

What happens if when we move in, none of it has been removed? It's not a small job by any means and would be quite costly to sort out once you factor in skip hire etc.

Is this done on a 'trust' situation as in you hope that they will stand by their word? Or do you involve solicitors so it's written into contract somewhere? Total newbie here.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The vendors will fill our a form as for what is left in the house (ie fridge, curtains, boiler etc. They would tick anything being left - so read that.

As for the bricks and bits in the front, I would speak to your solicitor about those as there will not be a box for "rubble in the garden".
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    You would ask your solicitor to write it into the contract.
    A phrase something like - garden to be left in clear and tidy condition with all bricks , rubble firewood etc removed.
    House with vacant possession, items to be left X, Y, Z, items to be removed A, B, C.
    Your solicitor should be able to advise.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whatever you do, if stuff is left, don't have a big bonfire in the garden, as I'm sure some people will suggest.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As others have said, it can be covered legally through the Fixtures and Fittings form (which forms part of the contract), and other contract additions. You can then take action via your solicitor if they don't move the stuff.

However, in reality...

If you think that, due to the circumstances, they may not actually clear it, I'd have a contingency in my moving budget for doing it myself (couple of skip hires). The reality is that pursuing legal action against them to get them to clear it if they get stubborn may be more time-consuming and costly than it's worth.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it possible to hold back part of the purchase price - say £5000 - to allow for this.?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Is it possible to hold back part of the purchase price - say £5000 - to allow for this.?

No.
    need to make ten characters
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I would be more concerned about relatives living in the house. Are they renting it on a contract?

Make sure your solicitor is aware that relatives are living there.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    There is high potential for chaos here, with the divorcing parties refusing to speak to each other and/or passing the buck with clearance responsibility, and the random temporary tenants. As well as advising your solicitor of these potential complications, have a word with the estate agent and say you may reconsider if these queries are not prioritised. Other buyers will also be put off.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • ExNicotineQueen
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    I think I would be more concerned about relatives living in the house. Are they renting it on a contract?

Make sure your solicitor is aware that relatives are living there.

Why is this important? I got the sense it was informal agreement between the woman owner and her cousin and partner who were just staying there until the house had been sold/so the house wasn't empty.

There is high potential for chaos here, with the divorcing parties refusing to speak to each other and/or passing the buck with clearance responsibility, and the random temporary tenants. As well as advising your solicitor of these potential complications, have a word with the estate agent and say you may reconsider if these queries are not prioritised. Other buyers will also be put off.

What exactly should I be saying to the EA? That her cousin and partner need to move out ASAP? Surely because the vendors still own the property it is theirs to do with as they like?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What if the informal tenants have nowhere to go and flat refuse to move out?

It's no skin off their nose if they inconvenience you, and you'll have little or no legal recourse against them, since your contract will be with the owner(s) ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure