Best instant coffee?

Just wondered what anyone thinks is the classiest/best tasting instant coffee? I want to make up a small food-related gift for someone and include coffee in it. I know they don't have a coffee maker and are too lazy to make it from beans so thought a good jar of instant would be a good fit. They buy Gold Blend for themselves so obviously like a bit of flavour (?) but could do with some recommendations.

I tend to drink whatever's on offer myself so not very good at judging.

Thanks

ELiza

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Eliza wrote: »
    Just wondered what anyone thinks is the classiest/best tasting instant coffee? I want to make up a small food-related gift for someone and include coffee in it. I know they don't have a coffee maker and are too lazy to make it from beans so thought a good jar of instant would be a good fit. They buy Gold Blend for themselves so obviously like a bit of flavour (?) but could do with some recommendations.

Thanks

ELiza

I would think that if they drink gold blend, it’s probably best to stick to what you know they like as you could spend quite a few £££ only for it to be wasted if they don’t like it.
    I personally think it’s such a personal taste thing. I have friends who swear by Nescaf!, friends who can’t drink it, friends who spend a fortune on coffee and friends who buy value brands and love it.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    I would think that if they drink gold blend, it’s probably best to stick to what you know they like as you could spend quite a few £££ only for it to be wasted if they don’t like it.
    I personally think it’s such a personal taste thing. I have friends who swear by Nescaf!, friends who can’t drink it, friends who spend a fortune on coffee and friends who buy value brands and love it.

Thanks, maybe you're right. I know they wouldn't waste it though, whether it's value or expensive they'll use every last grain and then probably rinse the jar out with boiling water a couple of times to get their money's worth. Even if they hate it! I suspect they have gold blend cos it's what they've always had and probably their mother before them. Not really adventurous and probably has never even bothered to look at any other brands!

If all else fails then yes, a small jar of gold blend will be added to the pack. Thanks.

Eliza
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 December 2017 at 6:20PM
    Eliza wrote: »

Thanks

ELiza
    Try Clipper Fairtrade Latin American but not the decaff one. They will not be disappointed!

I have put a link to Waitrose but Sainsbury do it as well albeit currently at a higher price (£4.60 down to £4.10)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/clipper-fairtrade-latin-american-instant-coffee/894321-333006-333007
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree it's a personal taste thing. I have been through phases where I really liked the Nescafe Azera, then moved on to Lavatza which I thought was much nicer, then someone mentioned Kenko's standard line, I tried it and hated it, moved on to my old time favorite Caf! Noir, it was my go-to coffee for about 10 years and it didn't taste as nice, moved back to Lavatza but preferred the Azera my mother had....so it's not just a personal thing but it seems to change depending on the time, who knows, maybe the weather even affects it!

OP, I'd say try coffee friends have to see if you like it before buying a full jar/tin/pot for yourself and remember that nothing is forever, your tastes could change over time.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A few years ago I was sent a tub of Starbucks Via, it was by far the best instant coffee I've had. They only seem to do it in sachets now though.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Nescafe expresso
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Douwe Egburts every time.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I usually get Nescafe Alta Rica or Kenco Millicano dark roast
  • Buggins
    Buggins Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Starbucks via sachets (italian) or Alta rica:j
  • Nescafe Alta Rica or Lavazza Prontissimo Intenso (tin)

Do you know if they like flavoured coffees? If so, I recommend Beanies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure