Single mum - sink or swim!

Options

Comments

• selloptape
    Options
    :j:j:j

So pleased after getting a letter from the bank today!

After OPing just over £750 this year I've managed to knock 9 months off the term! This was much more than I expected so did some quick sums...

(£405.06 mortgage payments on SVR x 9 months) - £750 = £2895.54

WOWSERS.

Now, I'm either still severely hung over from my work's Chrimbo do and have forgotten how to use a calculator OR a crazy bank error OR that's £2895.54 saved by OPing £750! That's floored me, I'm so pleased. I know I've read in so many diaries that small OPs do make a big difference but it just hadn't hit home until now.

PS... I will try and get a better deal to beat the SVR, just not sure if I will get a new deal with the further changes coming in next year.

PPS thanks to everyone whose posted this year, I know I don't post a lot but often pop in for a lurk and you've all kept me going :) x
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    It's amazing the difference it makes. :)
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :T well done on the OP's and savings. The small bits and bobs really do add up but it's still lovely to 'see the effect's in black & white!
  • selloptape
    Options
    Had a very chilled Christmas, just me and my son. Totally stress free. Loved it. Hope all who celebrated had a fab time xxx

Lazy Sunday To Do List

- Laze on sofa in PJs reading diaries and feeling inspired
    - Meal plan and shop for the week
    - Make a list of housework jobs. Procrastinate about doing them.
    - Declutter one bin liner full
    - Pop out to see friends
    - Turn TV off and avoid adverts for cars that I don't need. Ooh Jeep Cherokee, only £199 a month....
    - Figure out how to do a bullet point list in my posts :)

On a Mission 2016
    - Overpay £1k on mortgage.
    - Save £2k. This is for an investment fund, not sure where I'll be putting it yet, perhaps p2p, need to do some serious lurking on the Savings and Investments boards :D
    - Secure new mortgage deal at end of 2016 when my fixed rate ends.
    - Grocery challenge - stick with this and reduce spend from £220 PCM to £200
    - Clothes. Aargh. I used to be very clothes frugal, rarely buy anything and shop in charity shops... Now, not so much. Target is £600 for the year for myself and DS.
    - Raise £500 selling things that remind me of ex. Should have done this ages ago. Weirdly was worried about hurting his feelings if he should see them online for sale. Daft as they are making me feel bad being in the house.
    - Health - increase exercise and lose a stone (say this every year :) )
    - Home - try and feel more at home in the house and community - renovate, decorate, explore area, get involved, volunteer, new activities etc
    - Take a holiday!
    - Make more time for friends and family
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Love your list!
    selloptape wrote: »

If you are in "Advanced" reply mode, there's a button in the centre of the second row (#8 actually) that will give you the code.

If you want to do it manually though... (remove the dashes)

bulleted:
    [-LIST]
    [-*]
    [-*]
    [-/LIST]

numbered:
    [-LIST=1]
    [-*]
    [-*]
    [-/LIST]
  • selloptape
    Options
    Thanks hiddenshadow! :)
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    selloptape wrote: »

Lazy Sunday To Do List

- Laze on sofa in PJs reading diaries and feeling inspired
    - Meal plan and shop for the week
    - Make a list of housework jobs. Procrastinate about doing them.
    - Declutter one bin liner full
    - Pop out to see friends
    - Turn TV off and avoid adverts for cars that I don't need. Ooh Jeep Cherokee, only £199 a month....

On a Mission 2016
    - Overpay £1k on mortgage.
    - Save £2k. This is for an investment fund, not sure where I'll be putting it yet, perhaps p2p, need to do some serious lurking on the Savings and Investments boards :D
    - Secure new mortgage deal at end of 2016 when my fixed rate ends.
    - Grocery challenge - stick with this and reduce spend from £220 PCM to £200
    - Clothes. Aargh. I used to be very clothes frugal, rarely buy anything and shop in charity shops... Now, not so much. Target is £600 for the year for myself and DS.
    - Raise £500 selling things that remind me of ex. Should have done this ages ago. Weirdly was worried about hurting his feelings if he should see them online for sale. Daft as they are making me feel bad being in the house.
    - Health - increase exercise and lose a stone (say this every year :) )
    - Home - try and feel more at home in the house and community - renovate, decorate, explore area, get involved, volunteer, new activities etc
    - Take a holiday!
    - Make more time for friends and family

Another single parent here, been doing this OPing for the last 7 years on my own. 2 kids now in there teens with no maintenance from ex either. How old is your lad? and can I ask why you wont be eligible for TC next year.

Love the list and mine will be fairly similar although havent written it out yet. but am procrastinsating housework today.
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • selloptape
    Options
    Another single parent here, been doing this OPing for the last 7 years on my own. 2 kids now in there teens with no maintenance from ex either. How old is your lad? and can I ask why you wont be eligible for TC next year.

Love the list and mine will be fairly similar although havent written it out yet. but am procrastinsating housework today.

Hi norfolkdream wow 7 years OPing and you're nearly there now! Must feel amazing to be on the home run?

My son is 12 now, how old are your two? Have heard that my ex starts a new job in the new year so I might see some child support finally. Not going to hold my breath though :(

My tax creds were stopping due to govt changes but now the chancellors made a u-turn it looks like they're not going to change in April x
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    My two are 14 and 15. Yeah I'm so close now, would have been 2032!!
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First post of the year! A couple of big changes round here...

Most nerve wracking was that I finally went through CMO for Child Support from my ex. So far after an initial stress he has been okay about it. Waiting to hear now what the outcome will be in terms of amount and if he will still be okay with paying.

Secondly, I've decided to give up driving for a few months to see if I can cope without a car. Monthly petrol and parking were working out at double the cost of a bus pass so it's worth a try. It's been okay so far but will see how I feel when the weather turns rainy :rotfl:

First OP of the year (£85) ready to go next week as I can't pay online and the mortgage dept is now closed for Easter.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Easter weekend x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport