Marriage Allowance

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    you can only register on the GOV.UK site.

In due course HMRC will contact you to proceed with the verification. You need to wait for theat email.

To register click on the link ( the word 'register') in this line on the above guide

OK, so how do we actually do this in practice? To take advantage of the scheme you need to first register.
  • sghughes42
    sghughes42 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Daft question, is this only open to UK nationals, or anyone who has an NI number? The article suggests the person transferring allowance will need ID including a UK passport or driving license. SWMBO only holds a Taiwanese passport at the moment - does this mean she isn't eligible to transfer, or will we need to go through one of the other means of verifying ID?
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In typical GVT fashion, when asking for your identity, there does not seem to be any mention having to produce an ACTUAL marriage certificate!
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mumf wrote: »
    In typical GVT fashion, when asking for your identity, there does not seem to be any mention having to produce an ACTUAL marriage certificate!

Did you ever see 1984?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • If my husband is subject to an IPO will/can this extra allowance be taken as personal rather than joint extra income?

Thank you
  • zygurat789
    wackijacki wrote: »
    If my husband is subject to an IPO will/can this extra allowance be taken as personal rather than joint extra income?

Thank you

The marriage allowance is available to those on basic rate tax.
    If you have an extra allowance it will be in your code number and increase the level at which you start to pay tax. If it is money coming in it is income, if it is txable it will be included if it is not tax able then it won't.
  • claire1977_2
    claire1977_2 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Hi everyone does anyone know if I can transfer my amount to my Hubby as he is self employed ?
    Thanks
  • zygurat789
    claire1977 wrote: »
    Hi everyone does anyone know if I can transfer my amount to my Hubby as he is self employed ?
    Thanks

Subject to all the provisos there is no reason why you should not
  • awindup
    awindup Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if you are friendly with your ex but, as are my wife and I, are still married is it possible to use your allowance to allow your ex patent the smoothly to use the extra cash for the benefit of our son's wellbeing? He lives in between two houses and we have a cordial yet definitely separate relationship ! there is no chance of us getting back together however there is little chance that we will divorce at this current time D2 the expense and lack of need. I suffer with quite severe health problems and the cost of the divorce + making a will are prohibitive for me. although she has a great job it is only fair can I contribute where and when I can and as I am Now unable to work completely and on benefits I do not pay any tax. what are the rules regardless of being separated and are they different if I do not have a job and therefore although I'm a taxpayer if I get any interest on bank accounts etc does the fact that I don't have an earned income make a difference?
  • Filled in all the forms my wife and I signed form, letter back from tax office, told need to be born before 1935 to transfer part of MA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback