To keep my old Glow Worm boiler?l

Comments

• JoHo7
    JoHo7 Posts: 13 Forumite
    spot1034 wrote: »
    Yes it does have a constant pilot light.

It was the standard unit fitted when all the houses in my street were built in 1990, and when one comes up for sale it's always interesting to take a look at the pictures which are now easily viewable online, and I've noticed quite a few of these original boilers are still in service.

Thank you. It is nice to know that some other people still have old boilers too!
  • JoHo7
    I suggest you read post #5 from this MSE thread:-

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=760109

:)
    Thank you! Yes, i expect nothing but needs for repairs from a new boiler full of electronics. This is why i am considering using electric oil radiators when my boiler dies - although more expensive to use but no maintenance or repairs
  • JoHo7
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I recently replaced a 25 year old boiler, and it looks like my gas bill will be hundreds of pounds less this year not to mention the hundreds of pounds I seemed to be spending each year keeping the last one working.

There comes a time when you just have to put it out of its misery.

I also recouped 300-400 quid selling some of the parts from the old one on ebay.

New one has a 10 year warranty, so a bit of peace of mind there as well.

I hope your new boiler works well and does not let you down!
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Still using a 1984 Olympic boiler and parts still readily available.
    Annual upkeep is around £9 per year ie new thermo couple every 2 1/2 years.
    I dont condone doing this but do know about pressures and gases as i work with them daily in another field.

Scaremongering cleaning out the boiler, did just that after been in use since 1984 till 2014 constantly. Strip down to the casting revealed surface rust, thats it no need to clean non flaky.

Touch wood the most expensive part was a valve around 6 years ago about £45 delivered. Thermo couples last average 2 1/2 years and pilots always lit. Universal thermo couple fit too approx £17 a chuck non trade.

I keep getting crank calls offering boiler service ranging from £20 p/m, do the maths.
    Not only that first time they come out then say unrepairable new boiler needed £2400 plus a service plan.
    Assuming its a really good boiler that lasts 10 years that works out £240 per year plus the service plan another £240 = £480 ish. Elec and gas use over 12 months is only £720 or £1500 with any of the biggies.
  • JoHo7
    hareng wrote: »
    Still using a 1984 Olympic boiler and parts still readily available.
    Annual upkeep is around £9 per year ie new thermo couple every 2 1/2 years.
    I dont condone doing this but do know about pressures and gases as i work with them daily in another field.

Scaremongering cleaning out the boiler, did just that after been in use since 1984 till 2014 constantly. Strip down to the casting revealed surface rust, thats it no need to clean non flaky.

Touch wood the most expensive part was a valve around 6 years ago about £45 delivered. Thermo couples last average 2 1/2 years and pilots always lit. Universal thermo couple fit too approx £17 a chuck non trade.

I keep getting crank calls offering boiler service ranging from £20 p/m, do the maths.
    Not only that first time they come out then say unrepairable new boiler needed £2400 plus a service plan.
    Assuming its a really good boiler that lasts 10 years that works out £240 per year plus the service plan another £240 = £480 ish. Elec and gas use over 12 months is only £720 or £1500 with any of the biggies.

This is a very interesting information, thank you.
    Do you know what are the chances of my boiler exploding if not serviced?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    JoHo7 wrote: »
    This is a very interesting information, thank you.
    Do you know what are the chances of my boiler exploding if not serviced?

Probably about the same as winning the lottery! :)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's all very good saying a boiler is x years old and still working. My 8 year old boiler was recently replaced as part of a bulk LPG to Natural Gas switch. I was perfectly happy with my old (!) boiler but the parts weren't available any longer for the conversion. Until the actual switch this new boiler is still running on LPG. The water is hotter, the radiators heat up in half the time, the hot water reaches my bathroom in 30 seconds instead of a good minute. This will lead to lower bills (even if I was to remain on LPG) plus a new 10 year warranty.
  • Did they swap your boiler for free LadyDee?
  • Hi, I have a spacesaver 38 too. It was in my house when I moved in 18 years ago and it still klunks in and out today, sometimes when it's really windy the pilot light blows out but it soon fires back up again. I love my old boiler, it's easy to work on and theres no electronics to go wrong with it. This old boiler is definitely the heart of the house and I'm not changing it until it dies. We should start a glow worm 38 owners club up Haha.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No electronics ?? not counted the Pilot Light  nor the Gas Valve .
    Presume this easy to work on is a gas safe registered person .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback