PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

limited title guarantee... yet again

Options
karan1
karan1 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 9 April 2018 at 11:27PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello Good Evening !

I will be very thankful if someone could help me with below query.

I am purchasing probate property with 'Limited Title Guarantee', with bank mortgage. Property is registered with 'Title Absolute' in the name of deceased person; who has personal representatives, who are selling this property via their solicitors.

from internet i could find Limited title guarantee means 'Under this guarantee, other parties may still have certain rights to the property. In addition, there may be other financial charges that the seller is unaware of'. As per conveyancer / estate agency house is sold with vacant possession. when i viewed propery i could see no one living there.

I am bit worries... as I do Not know...

1) after completion what type of problems could arise while registering property title in my name. what potential or example problems we are talking here ? Could someone just turn after completion (but before registering title in my name) and say this is my property... ?

2) after completion if for some reason (due to limited title guarantee) if property could not be registered in my name with full title, do I still have to keep paying lender loan?

why do bank/lender lend money against limited title guarantee... Bank is asking me for 'full title guarantee with first possession charge'.

I am expecting get some answers from solicitor but for some reason solicitor has not come back yet.. i m getting feeling he would say 'he would not know'.

please could knowledgeables/experts help,

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Karan

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can read https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/36/part/I if you want to know what the actual legal difference is between those terms. That is the actual law.

Basically, full title guarantee includes (among other things) a guarantee that the property is free from any third party interests, other than third party interests the seller could not be expected to know about.

If limited title guarantee is given, the seller only guarantees that the seller has not created third party interests themselves while they owned the property. Meaning that, if a third party was to come along after the sale and claim to have some sort of right over the property, you would not have a claim against the seller.

An example of a third party interest would be something like a right of way or a restrictive covenant. Whether this is a real concern or not depends on the history of the property and its location.

A solicitor should know exactly what this means and should be able to advise you. Though if you are using a cheap online conveyancer, you aren't going to get much expert advice from them so now might be the time to use a proper solicitor instead - this is not a situation where you want to be scrimping a few quid to get the cheapest possible service.

I can't see that this would create any difficulties with getting you registered as the owner of the property. But it may cause a problem for your mortgage lender.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's most likely nothing to worry about. Probate properties are sold with Limited Title Guarantee because the person selling the property is not the Registered Proprietor and therefore will have limited knowledge of the property, of its restrictions and covenants and cannot guarantee that any of these have not been breached. Once completion has taken place you will be registered with Absolute Title.
  • karan1
    karan1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 April 2018 at 7:49AM
    Options
    Thank you both Steampowered & Tiglet2,

Besides right of way or a restrictive covenant,
    After completion but before title registration, could some relative of seller turn up with say Gift Deed or something would that also count as - any other interest / third party interest ?
    and cause issues in title registration in my name ?

how do lender handle such case ? obviously as buyer I am not capable of paying lender if I can not take charge of house (have good title in my name) ?

Is such scenario possible with limited title guarantee ?

I am using SRA regulated solicitor agency which does conveyancing (through their conveyancing team), but due to circumstances outside my control, I agree, I am still getting cheap service comparable to online conveyancers...

I will be very thankful if you could share your expertise with regards to what how much scope of any other interests could be, which executors can not guarantee under limited title guarantee ?

Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Karan
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your solicitor will most likely ask for indemnity insurance from the sellers to protect you, which your seller should pay for.

Is it legally safe to buy a property which is subject to covenants? Yes. Most likely, the covenants would be virtually impossible to enforce, even if someone could show title to a property benefitting from them, as yours is burdened by them.

What is constraint of having a limited title guarantee? This is almost the same as full title guarantee, except that the seller is not covenanting for actions of all predecessors.

Your solicitor will check prior title evidence so that you obtain absolute title at HMLR. He is there to guide you.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    It's a probate sale. If you want to speak to the actual previous owner, you're not going to need a solicitor, you're going to need a psychic.

Short of that, you're going to have to take this tiny bit of a risk - or find another property.
  • steampowered
    Options
    I don't think a third party could turn up and claim to be the owner of the property. The seller is the registered owner, after all. You shouldn't have any problems getting registered title.

'Title guarantee' is only about having a claim against the seller is an issue is discovered later. The risk of someone claiming to be the owner isn't much lesser or greater with limited title guarantee compared to any other sale.

The list of third party rights which can take precedent over a transfer of registered title is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/9/schedule/3

The main one to be careful of is interests of persons in actual occupation. If you've been to see the property and it was empty, then I think you are well protected.

But do take advice from your solicitor.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    The seller is the registered owner, after all.
    I'm not so sure about that. The whole point is that this isn't a property that's registered with LR - as many probate properties aren't, because people who die tend to be elderly, and elderly people tend not to have moved house for decades.
  • steampowered
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. The whole point is that this isn't a property that's registered with LR - as many probate properties aren't, because people who die tend to be elderly, and elderly people tend not to have moved house for decades.
    The Op said 'Property is registered with 'Title Absolute' in the name of deceased person'.

I think this means the property is indeed registered with the LR.
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m in the same position with a probate House.
    My solicitor hasn!!!8217;t raised it as an issue.
    In my case one of the deceased children is selling it and they have probate so I am not worried.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure