Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    westv wrote: »
    Found out today my role is likely to be TUPEd by 30/6. Not clear yet what the location of the role will be. If same area as now will probably stay on. If not then I'll might have to say bye, bye to them.

Still no clarification re location. I am the only one of 11 that this affects and it pi**es me off!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pegleg2001 wrote: »
    “I wish I had spent more time at the office”

What no one has said on their deathbed. Ever.

Montgomery Burns from the Simpsons! :D
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    while i am only 34 and probably the youngest to comment on a thread like this, these posts on here do interest me somewhat.

Not true - I was a fellow 34 year old on the day you posted that! Regrettably I hit the big 3-5 the following day :rotfl:
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:05PM
    End of another financial year, so time for another update. Quick recap...household is myself and my wife, both aged 40 now, no children and no plans for any in future.

Back in early 2017/18, my wife and I spent a combined 4 months in Africa on holiday (me 3 months, her 1 month). Another good holiday opportunity there has come up, so next week we are off again, but only for 2.5 weeks. Still, that will all add up to a total of 5 months on holiday in Africa over the course of the year, an average of 2.5 months each. That has increased consumption quite significantly, from 21% of household income in 2016/17 to 25% in 2017/18. Household spend over time is now looking like this:

w02his.jpg

I still think I have about enough in pensions, as I did a year ago, although we are still both still contributing to some good DB AVC options and employer pension. This means the focus is increasingly on funding the period until age 58, when pensions can kick in (I'm assuming an increase in Minimum Pension age for caution).

Contributions to ISA are therefore much higher, and the amount of money borrowed on 0% credit cards increased quite a lot (currently at £68,000 down from £85,000 a few months ago), hence the sharp reduction in net debt repayment compared to 2016/17. But in a few weeks I'll be paying a third of the remaining mortgage off which will mean net debt repayment for 2018/19 should be quite high.

Future pension income looks like this:

21a00ew.jpg

We now have a total of £56,000 p/a of DB and State Pension accrued at Normal Pension ages (all in real CPI terms), or £42,500 if we both take a reduced DB pension with a protected minimum pension age of 50 at age 50. We are accruing pension (state plus employer DB, including some voluntary DB AVCs) at the rate of £4,300 p/a (based on the assumption we take the DB pension at age 50).

This assumes an earnings updated State Pension (no triple-lock) and that the increase to age 68 in State Pension age is brought-forward. It also assumes that 25% lump sum is taken from personal pensions, and that an income up to higher rate tax (current threshold assumed to increase in line with earnings) is drawn from remaining pot.

Using the formula:
    'Consumption=Gross salary - own pension contributions - ISA contributions - income tax - National Insurance - Mortgage + Saving interest - change in net minor debts and saving
    Shows a household consumption figure of £34,000 for 2017/18 (this figure is akin to 'The Number' discussed in other threads). However, this is inflated by the Africa holidays. Looking at previous years and re-valuing them in line with change in earnings, a figure of £28,500 is more normal. Even allowing for that number to increase in line with earnings in the longer-term (I allow for earnings increase to State Pension age, and CPI increases thereafter), we should comfortably have enough DB and State Pension.

Projections now suggest retirement in mid 2022 to mid 2023, so about 4-5 years from now, at age 44-45.

I'm toying with idea of reducing hours at work, moving to a 4 day week. All the lost income would be taxed at higher rate so it would be quite tax efficient. I think it is something I will not do immediately, but at some point in the years between now and retirement. It may well be when I pay mortgage off in a couple of years, as then I should be in a position where I have enough pension, paid off all interest-bearing debt and would still be able to max out myself and my wife's ISAs doing a 4 day week.

There is potential for a few positive shocks, namely inheritance from 3 remaining parents or redundancy payments. I don't factor any of these into planning though as they are uncertain. I have also just started my own small business, so there is potential for that to go well - again, I don't assume anything about that in planning as it is uncertain.

Random stat: I was a bit surprised to see the average gross income of recently retired pensioner couples is now £43,000 p/a. Struck me as quite high but broadly in line with what I am targeting, taking into account future increases in this figure. Should be noted that £10,000 of the £43,000 comes from earnings. Source: Pensioner Income Series.
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the pensioner income report states that pensioner couples average income is £452/week
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,832 Forumite
    I think the pensioner income report states that pensioner couples average income is £452/week
    That is across all pensioner couples (ie not just recently retired pensioners), and is median net income after housing costs.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have had a few shocks recently which have slightly altered my focus. We are both 51 next month and I am aiming for retirement at 60, when DD will have cleared uni. FIL had a funny turn at his 80th birthday meal and left in an ambulance (thankfully nothing serious - diagnosis was that he was 80 and should maybe steer clear of rich food and hot restaurants). We need to make sure we plan in more time with in laws while they are still with us.
    Then a friend died of liver cancer in his early 50s in February.
    Then my boss had a heart attack at Easter, 2 weeks after his 40th birthday. He is recovering thankfully and needs to lose a significant amount of weight in the future.
    I have decided that I was placing too much emphasis on what we would do in retirement when chance might mean one or other of us just doesn!!!8217;t get there. Instead we are going to take some of the shorter holidays, in particular, while we are still working. This means we may still have a small outstanding mortgage (flexible offset) at 60 but it will be manageable. To this end we are going to Canada to see Grizzly Bears this summer as this has been on the wish list for years.
    I may also take my daughter!!!8217;s slot with the piano teacher when she goes to uni (2 years time) as learning to play has been on my list too.
    Basically we are moving more towards a !!!8220;what are you waiting for!!!8221; mindset, whilst still contributing to the max to ISAs and making big Sal sac into pensions.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 894 Forumite
    To this end we are going to Canada to see Grizzly Bears this summer as this has been on the wish list for years.

If you want a guaranteed sighting go and see Boo the bear at Kicking Horse, but go early. We spent 30 minutes in his company with just an electric fence to keep us safe.

https://kickinghorseresort.com/purchase/boo-grizzly-bear/

There were a couple of black bears on the side of the road on the way back but it's very hit and miss.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We are spending a week on a floating lodge a fair way up an inlet off Vancouver Island so am optimistic that we will see some in the wild - plus Orca and other whales. Fingers crossed.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That is a really sensible approach MallyGirl. Save yes but not at the expense of being able to enjoy your todays as not everyone is guaranteed a tomorrow. Quoting my Granny (again :D) 'there's no pockets in shrouds, girl'.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback