Introducing....

Comments

• Hi Lee

Interesting diary, I've been catching up, you have some serious targets, so good luck!

You asked about more ideas….

I've just saved £250 per year by switching from a contract ti sim only deal without upgrading my phone, and got more minutes and more data in the process.

Are you a higher rate taxpayer? It might be worth contributing more to your pension to reduce your tax rate. It might mean you have slightly less to take home though, but would beat any savings rate.the guys in the retirement forum know more than I do about it ;-)

Escapar2020

Hey Escapar,

To get a similar mobile contract to the one I currently have would certainly cost me 4-5 times what I spend at the moment.

I hadn't considered increasing contributions to my pension, but it's something I'll look at doing this year.

Happy New Year.
    Neither a borrower or lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend.
  • Hi Urbanshyne

Have you looked into Topcashback and Quidco for saving a few extra pennies?

If you're looking for other places to stash your cash (my last goal was mortgage neutral) have a look at 1st direct, HSBC & M&S they all have 5% regular savers available (with conditions).

Do you invest in peer-to-peer of stocks and shares Isas? May be worth doing a little research on those. I have a little tucked away in there.

By the sound of it you're going to be squirreling quite a bit away for a while.

Also ref the smoking, how's that going? I'm sure I've read on this site that other people take the money they would normally spend on cigarettes, put it in a jar and save it up in there until they have enough for a treat like a holiday or a new bathroom? Luckily I've never smoked but I used to save £2 coins that I'd get in my change when I had enough I went wing walking. That might be an idea for you?

Anyway happy 2018!
    GOAL:- £350k in Savings by September 2025 SAVINGS: – £274,704 COMPLETE GOALS - Debt Free, Mortgage Free, £250k Savings Save 12k in 2024 #12 = £46,452 / £130,000
  • So - a little update.

Yesterday saw my mortgage balance slip under £90000 for the first and last time. 7 months, then, has seen £10000 cleared since I started doing this, and before September 2018 another £9000 (fingers crossed) will pass from debit to credit on the balance sheet.

Unfortunately, though, my current employer has decided to scale back his business over the next few months, leaving me out to pasture from today. Thankfully, I've found another job which I start on Monday but I don't think I'll be there for long - I'm taking a pay cut and the work will be no where near as satisfying. In the short term, I'll still be able to make the £1250 OP every month, but the £500 a month I'm currently saving as well will have to stop. DAMN! I reason that some money is better than no money.

Best, L.x
  • Hi Urbanshyne

Have you looked into Topcashback and Quidco for saving a few extra pennies?

If you're looking for other places to stash your cash (my last goal was mortgage neutral) have a look at 1st direct, HSBC & M&S they all have 5% regular savers available (with conditions).

Do you invest in peer-to-peer of stocks and shares Isas? May be worth doing a little research on those. I have a little tucked away in there.

By the sound of it you're going to be squirreling quite a bit away for a while.

Also ref the smoking, how's that going? I'm sure I've read on this site that other people take the money they would normally spend on cigarettes, put it in a jar and save it up in there until they have enough for a treat like a holiday or a new bathroom? Luckily I've never smoked but I used to save £2 coins that I'd get in my change when I had enough I went wing walking. That might be an idea for you?

Anyway happy 2018!

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

I have some of my savings in high interest current accounts at the moment, a little in premium bonds, a few pounds in a 1 year fixed savings account with Paragon and a couple of hundred in a poorly paying instant access account with my main bank. I'm also going to open a Vanguard Stocks and Shares ISA in the next few months and put some of the money I receive from a house I rent out into that. It's a passive fund which tracks various stock and bond markets around the world. I have no interest in being an active investor. I just don't know enough to play that game.

On the subject of P2P lending - I'm really not a fan. The rates of return look attractive, but I'm cautioned by the lack of protection in an industry that's fledgling.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sorry to hear about the job loss - but great you have another one straight off - ok, reduced pay, but still enough to be making fab OPs :)
    Hopefully you'll find something more rewarding (in all senses) soon :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Retter
    Retter Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Very interested to catch up with this one. I!!!8217;m in an almost identical position with regards to my own mortgage. I!!!8217;m on course to knock £10k off mine this year but prefer to mix smaller monthly overpayments with occasional lump sums.
  • Urbanshyne
    Urbanshyne Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As jobs go, the new one was terrible. If it were a person, they'd be called Eric and wear beige slacks over harvest festival pants, to keep everything safely gathered in. He'd be single, probably with a little dog acquired from the local pets' shelter and they'd live together in a bungalow somewhere on the south coast. Bognor, maybe. Thursdays would be bingo, Sundays for Church - a sad succession of banal routines and mundane rituals.

You get the picture.

So I jacked on Wednesday and start another new job on Monday and all being well, this one should be magnificent!

Where it leaves me financially is up in the air at the moment. The money's good, but it's an hourly rate rather than salaried - If I can't make the hours, I don't earn the cash. Tsk. We'll just have to see how it goes.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hope all goes well x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Urbanshyne
    Urbanshyne Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi everyone,

This month has felt like the pits. I've had to account for every penny, raid all my change jars, use every voucher and forego any fun whatsoever. It's been pretty miserable. After all the bills were paid and mortgage OP made, I was left with £120 for everything else. I've tried to keep some perspective on what the overall goal is and how much better off I'll be without a mortgage, but this month has really tested my conviction to the schedule I'm attempting to keep. Subsequent months won't be as tight as they have been this month, and I guess there's some consolation in that - it's just difficult to remain focused when it seems your purpose is solely to fulfil a mortgage overpayment every month. On that, I have only myself to blame.

As I think many of you might agree, I've found reading other people's diaries helpful. It's kinda lovely that a space exists where we can share our experience of what otherwise is a fairly uncool preoccupation. Money is dull. Watching the pennies is tedious. It's the challenge that's interesting and the earlier freedom from a certain financial penury that certainly drives me. If only it could be over tomorrow and I could join that other board: Mortgage Free Roll of Honour.

Alas.

Not yet.
  • Escapar2020
    Escapar2020 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 March 2018 at 7:28AM
    'Uncool preoccupation' would be a great forum name!

Well done for making it through the month! Try to keep a healthy mortgage/life balance though

Escapar2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport