MSE News RSS feed been disabled?

Options
Has the MSE News RSS feed been disabled?

The last item I’ve seen is: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter-than-expec/

I use Newsify, blog.feedspot.com also shows the last item as 1 week ago.

Comments

• GazHol
    Options
    Appears that Martin’s latest blog post also isn’t appearing:
    https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks for flagging this up GazHol, we'll let you know when we have an update.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • GazHol
    GazHol Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The News RSS feed worked for a short while, then stopped again.

Last item was: New bank 'Marcus' launches market-leading 1.5% savings
    27 SEPTEMBER 2018 AT 06:37
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks

It's been working for us.

If anyone else is seeing issues can you let us know please?

Thank you!

Join the MSE Forum
  • GazHol
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks

It's been working for us.

If anyone else is seeing issues can you let us know please?

Thank you!

I’ve tried two different iPad RSS apps (Newsify & Feedly), both show the mortgage prisoners as the latest article: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/martin-lewis-mortgage-conservative-party-conference/amp/

The Nationwide insurance article also from the 3rd Oct doesn’t appear, nor does anything after.
  • GazHol
    Options
    I’ve not had any luck with my RSS readers until this morning (sometime between 09:10 and 11:00). Articles from the past month re-appeared, although the most up to date one is “New Scottish £20 note revealed” (Which is now 4th from top).

Is there a permissions setting on the feed that occasionally gets reset back to “public” MSE Andrea?
  • weakpassword
    Options
    It is clear that Silly Con Valley thinking is wrecking things. MSE wouldn't have auto-posted content on a marketing platform to be down for days on end, but RSS? "Sod that thing, it isn't reliant on a middleman" - Mark Zuckerberg[1]

This is the XML file for the news feed:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/feeds/news.rss

Right now this is the newest item, 5 days old:
    MoneySavingExpert News Feed
    News stories

Delays to NS&I payments due to technical glitch02/11/18 00:00

Whoever is in charge of the RSS either doesn't have a clue, or is purposefully trying to reduce its functionality. To get people to use marketing machines/anti-social networks? AOL sucked, and AOL2.0 does too. If users matter then you should focus on user-centric technology, not what seems cool because it is still pretty new to the person signing things off.

On the www the RSS file is just linked to in user-visible HTML, and not set up in the head as this page is, with something like
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="MoneySavingExpert.com Forums RSS Feed" href="/external.php?type=RSS2" />

The www having a plain link means users' browsers will not notice there is a content feed.

I use RSS extensively as the content from many sites can be brought together within one interface. No having to run the gauntlet of web design fads. eg how so many pages these days have a fixed menu and lots of animations, just like the s h i t I used to put on Geocities in the 90s. I used frames and gifs, as CSS wasn't a thing, and I thought it looked really cool: the same justification for the horrible norms with responsive web design (or whatever this week's design trend is labelled as).

[1] Clearly a joke quote. But claiming to empower users, when really a publisher is empowered massively more, is what makes proprietary software and services enriching for an utter minority. And a long-term false economy for actual people.
  • GazHol
    Options
    GazHol wrote: »
    I’ve not had any luck with my RSS readers until this morning (sometime between 09:10 and 11:00). Articles from the past month re-appeared, although the most up to date one is “New Scottish £20 note revealed” (Which is now 4th from top).

Is there a permissions setting on the feed that occasionally gets reset back to “public” MSE Andrea?

The feed came back online again a few days ago, currently the latest item on the RSS feed is:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/11/guest-comment--what-the-inquiry-into-consumers--access-to-financ/
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi folks

Is it working ok for everyone now?

Join the MSE Forum
  • GazHol
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi folks

Is it working ok for everyone now?

News feed reappeared on Wednesday, last entry is “Ryanair customers risk £55 fee“.

Also appeared “Martin Lewis: How much should you save for your kids to go to university? (VIDEO)”

Is there a regular housekeeping job that runs on a weekly basis to purge old articles? May be that the issue is too many historical items for the feed to hold?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure