MSE News: Thousands of tenants to get bedroom tax rebate

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Only repaid if the tenant can prove they have been continuously in receipt of Housing Benefit at the property without a break since prior to 1st January 1996 - my Local Authority isn't actively trying to locate such claimants because our records don't go back that far. Neither are we going to write to everyone or publicise the loophole

The DWP are actively trying to rush out changes to legislation to close this loophole.

People need to obtain or show their rent agreement, and the DWP will have records of what was being claimed when, as the old paper files were either transferred online or archived.

I believe one of the legal organisations is sorting out how to publicise and organise any repayments due, as this will be a legal requirement.

Welfare groups, such as Rightnet seem to understand what needs to be done.

The government are taking advice on how they may be able to close the loophole, but it seems unclear (legally) how this could now be done, and they would also have to issue back pay for any time before the legislation loophole was closed.

I feel sorry for both tenants and workers - a foul up at the top and then, no doubt, instructions from above to sort it out, causing work and aggro for everyone.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Yet again Local Government clearing up the mess caused by this hurried piece of legislation - and once we have sorted everything out everyone will be migrated onto Universal Credit!
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yet again Local Government clearing up the mess caused by this hurried piece of legislation - and once we have sorted everything out everyone will be migrated onto Universal Credit!

I agree - I felt 10 years younger when I left the DWP, with the chaos then (some years ago) what with missives from above, changing rules, wrong rules and regs etc., etc.,

The only joy for you is that UC is descending into such a farce now that it's probably years away from any roll out.

Lin ;)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    custardy wrote: »
    So what about people who need that 'family' home?

I'm talking about those people who have been forced to move because although they actually needed the spare room (for grandchildren, disabled etc) they didn't qualify and couldn't afford the reduction in benefit. It was still their family home!
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • I'm talking about those people who have been forced to move because although they actually needed the spare room (for grandchildren, disabled etc) they didn't qualify and couldn't afford the reduction in benefit. It was still their family home!

If you need a spare room due to disability you would have been entitled to a DHP, or you would have sufficient income to cover the payment.

Grandchildren staying a night or two a week do not need their own room. If they are staying more than that, the parents should contribute accordingly.
  • Confuseddot
    Confuseddot Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Does anyone else find it quite sad that there are thousands of people who have stayed in the same home and been on the same housing benefits for the last 17 years ?

No wonder the nowt left in the pot, with the exception of those with health issues surely these people are the ones that should be target to get help to get back into work.
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • I have just emailed my LA, I have lived here for 30years and claimed HB, my increase for two extra bedrooms is £132pm, so if I do fit the criteria then I would be looking at over £1k.
    I didn't have the option to move as there are no one bedroom properties where I live. I did ask my housing association to keep he informed but nothing has ever come of it.
    This is what I find hard, being trapped in a situation through no fault of my own and no way to correct it. I genuingly feel that if they cannot offer a suitable property to exchange they should be making an exception. Although this has already been discussed for far too long and nothing changes.
  • Confuseddot
    Confuseddot Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Also another huge difference between social and private renting
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • Does anyone else find it quite sad that there are thousands of people who have stayed in the same home and been on the same housing benefits for the last 17 years ?

No wonder the nowt left in the pot, with the exception of those with health issues surely these people are the ones that should be target to get help to get back into work.

I was thinking the same. Perhaps those that do come forward with a claim should be offered a full benefit review at the same time, to ensure their circumstances have not changed and see if anything can be done to help them?
  • I have just emailed my LA, I have lived here for 30years and claimed HB, my increase for two extra bedrooms is £132pm, so if I do fit the criteria then I would be looking at over £1k.
    I didn't have the option to move as there are no one bedroom properties where I live. I did ask my housing association to keep he informed but nothing has ever come of it.
    This is what I find hard, being trapped in a situation through no fault of my own and no way to correct it. I genuingly feel that if they cannot offer a suitable property to exchange they should be making an exception. Although this has already been discussed for far too long and nothing changes.

Have you not been checking and bidding on properties yourself?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure