Cancellation charge by holiday

I am in the process of cancelling a skiing holiday that I have booked for January. Unfortunately, I have now found out that I have an exam the week I am supposed to be away. Obviously, I am not happy by this situation as I am missing out on an excellent holiday and also going to lose my deposit.

We had to pay the full balance of the holiday within one month to gain a discount. That's £700 pp in one month, so it had to go on a credit card! Anyway, the cost they are looking to deduct is £130!! That's 18.5%!! How is this possibly justifiable? I do not understand how they would incur so much cost by someone cancelling?

Are the company within their rights to take such a high percentage as a cancellation charge? I understand that they have profiled these out in their Ts&Cs but there must be some customer protection against over the top charges? No wonder the rich get richer.

Regards,

Graeme Allison.

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you didn't agree with the cancellation t & c's, you could have booked with another company. Caveat Emptor.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    I am in the process of cancelling a skiing holiday that I have booked for January. Unfortunately, I have now found out that I have an exam the week I am supposed to be away. Obviously, I am not happy by this situation as I am missing out on an excellent holiday and also going to lose my deposit.

We had to pay the full balance of the holiday within one month to gain a discount. That's £700 pp in one month, so it had to go on a credit card! Anyway, the cost they are looking to deduct is £130!! That's 18.5%!! How is this possibly justifiable? I do not understand how they would incur so much cost by someone cancelling?

Are the company within their rights to take such a high percentage as a cancellation charge? I understand that they have profiled these out in their Ts&Cs but there must be some customer protection against over the top charges? No wonder the rich get richer.

Regards,

Graeme Allison.

Hi Graeme - as we're not handling consumer issues on this board at the moment, we'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) to see if there you do have any rights or other avenues of redress to pursue. It would be a useful to have the Ts&Cs to hand, in case they want to ask particular questions about any part of them.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyway, the cost they are looking to deduct is £130!! That's 18.5%!! How is this possibly justifiable? I do not understand how they would incur so much cost by someone cancelling?

Depending on the package, there could well be non-refundable flights booked as part of it

You will struggle to find holidays that are fully refundable - this would involve fully flexible/refundable flights that come at a premium (expect to pay x4 the fare)

You agreed to the Ts&Cs and are cancelling for a reason not covered by travel insurance so there is no comeback
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure