Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Feb 19, 9:44 PM
    • 6,029Posts
    • 29,736Thanks
    choille
    Hospital Appointment Transport
    • 9th Feb 19, 9:44 PM
    Hospital Appointment Transport 9th Feb 19 at 9:44 PM
    My elderly ex neighbour is now in a (very expensive to my mind) care home.

I visit her on average once a week. It's quite a distance away but she has no relatives within travelling distance.

It seems she has some hospital appointments coming up and the under manager of the home tried to get me to agree to taking her there. I don't drive but my OH does. It would mean us leaving before 6 am to go and pick her up and take her there - all in all a distance of roughly 200 miles return. It will be quite a long day. This time of year the roads can be icy here & over run with deer. I just don't think we can do it.

Now, she is paying approx £1,000 a week. The care home is now run by the NHS. I would have thought that they should really provide her with transportation there and back. I felt quite mean saying that we couldn't do it but we really can't with all our other commitments.

Does anyone know if this sounds reasonable as I feel quite bad about this. The pressure was put on in front of the elderly lady and she seemed to feel like a nuisance now. I do feel guilty but I think I should have been summoned into an office or somewhere private to be asked this and not in a public area where others were present - am I being silly? Petty?
Page 3
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Feb 19, 8:34 AM
    • 25,682 Posts
    • 67,908 Thanks
    pollypenny
    [QUOTE=74jax;75443925]I think that is ridiculous. Why would she do that, its of no interest to her...

No need to ask what contraception they use.... Ridiculous.

QUOTE]

Serious irony failure here!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Feb 19, 8:44 AM
    • 25,682 Posts
    • 67,908 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The care home just up the road from me has one of the those Kango van/cars and uses it to transport residents.

They have a part-time worker driving, although I'm not sure what happens about someone to accompany the resident.

OP, if the member of staff had any idea where you live, it was a downright cheek to ask you to take your friend.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 12th Feb 19, 8:56 AM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 13,150 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    I sometimes think that it's a pity posters can't see the expression on the face of a responder because sarcasm, irony, jokiness or similar motivators for a choice of particular words/actions too often don't 'travel' down the wires very well.....
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Feb 19, 2:55 PM
    • 39,492 Posts
    • 36,555 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Iíve got a diabetic friend and even he has to get his wife to do his now. Theyíve scaled all stuff like this right back. £30 seems excessive mind
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    My chiropodist was charging £24 per appointment for a simple nail trim. However very few people JUST need a nail trim, so it's now £36 which includes a very thorough attack on all areas of hard skin.

You'd hope a care home could get someone in for the day to do everyone at once, which should give a saving on travel time etc ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • choille
    • By choille 12th Feb 19, 4:36 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 29,736 Thanks
    choille
    I do believe that the hairdresser goes in & trims hair but that is £30 each - which I think is excessive but I don't suppose it's my business really.

The normal chiropodist is ill long term & seems that they have to access nail cutting privately but I too would have thought they could have got someone in to do everyone who needs it doing.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Feb 19, 8:14 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    You've never worked in a care home. Try NMW or possibly £1.50 above that an hour for a senior carer.

They may charge £15 p/h but they don't pay it.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Thatís what I meant. They will get charged £15 ish as out the £15 the care place will still have to pay the carers al, employers National insurance, pension etc so would more than likely still charge the full £15 rather than their hourly wage the staff member would get
    roll on 27th April 2019 or there abouts *29 done* = *11 to go*
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Feb 19, 8:16 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    My chiropodist was charging £24 per appointment for a simple nail trim. However very few people JUST need a nail trim, so it's now £36 which includes a very thorough attack on all areas of hard skin.

You'd hope a care home could get someone in for the day to do everyone at once, which should give a saving on travel time etc ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    My su used to pay £20 to one in their home, but I think it depends where they are in the country. Itís a lot for how long they are there mind
    roll on 27th April 2019 or there abouts *29 done* = *11 to go*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

4,605Users online

Martin's Twitter