Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Feb 19, 10:31 AM
    • 3,499Posts
    • 6,097Thanks
    trailingspouse
    The cost of being single
    • 8th Feb 19, 10:31 AM
    The cost of being single 8th Feb 19 at 10:31 AM
    So, Mr Spouse is moving out. No, don't feel sorry for me - it's OK.

But - why are things more expensive for one person than they are for two??

Let's take Council Tax. Yes, as a single person, I'll get a 25% reduction - but the household income will reduce by 50%, so I'm paying a larger % of the household income now.

Car insurance - I have my own policy, on my own car, with Mr Spouse as a named driver. Rang the insurers yesterday to have his name taken off the policy - they want an additional £130!!!

If and when I want to go on holiday, the room rate will be much the same for me on my own as it was when we travelled as a couple.

I'm sure there are more - this is just what I've come across so far, and he hasn't even gone yet!!!
Page 2
    • Dean000000
    • By Dean000000 8th Feb 19, 9:03 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Dean000000
    Worried about the cost of being single?

Wait till you see the cost of being married!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Feb 19, 9:50 PM
    • 39,713 Posts
    • 36,868 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Car insurance - I have my own policy, on my own car, with Mr Spouse as a named driver. Rang the insurers yesterday to have his name taken off the policy - they want an additional £130!!!
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Don't take his name off the insurance until you renew.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I see you've already decided to do this, and you need to think about who to add next year (if you still have a car), because it is definitely worth adding a good driver to the policy.

The Two Together rail card ó why on earth do two adults travelling together qualify for a discount? Do they have to share a seat?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    someone mentioned the Senior Railcard (indirectly). Always worth pointing out that if you qualify for a disabled railcard, this is better vfm: slightly cheaper, and allows TWO to travel at the reduced price. Plus you don't have to be Senior.

Most of my family have one because we have hearing aids.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 5:48 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    When it comes to things like food and gas/electric/water, the amount I use is up to me and I can cut back if I feel I need to.
    With gas/electric/water that’s only true up to a point - the standing charges are the same no matter how many in the household. And as your usage reduces they become a much bigger % of the bill.
    The standing charge on my last electricity bill was more than 50% of the bill - even if I reduced my usage to 0, there’s nothing I can do about reducing the standing charge.
    (I always shop around and change providers whenever I need to, being a low user I try to choose tariffs with a lower standing charge)
    Last edited by jackieblack; 09-02-2019 at 5:56 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77,
    Apr £50.00

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Feb 19, 6:38 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 6,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    One of my plans is to take in a lodger, under the Rent-a-Room scheme (I have a large attic, with two good sized rooms and a shower room), so that will go some way towards making the utilities and their standing charges less painful. Yes, I know they'll also be using the water and the electric, but there'll still be a profit.

If we get along, maybe we could get a 'Two Together' railcard...
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 19, 7:10 AM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,293 Thanks
    spirit
    One of my plans is to take in a lodger, under the Rent-a-Room scheme (I have a large attic, with two good sized rooms and a shower room), so that will go some way towards making the utilities and their standing charges less painful. Yes, I know they'll also be using the water and the electric, but there'll still be a profit.

If we get along, maybe we could get a 'Two Together' railcard...
    But you'll lose Your council tax discount.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 9th Feb 19, 7:14 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    maisie cat
    When it comes to things like food and gas/electric/water, the amount I use is up to me and I can cut back if I feel I need to.

It's the insurance that's bugging me the most. I haven't suddenly become a worse driver!! (And before someone comes on and tries to explain how it works, I know.)
    The problem is that statistically you have suddenly become more of a risk in insurance world.
    If you know how this works I'm surprised you have to ask
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 9th Feb 19, 7:23 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    Ilona
    With gas/electric/water thatís only true up to a point - the standing charges are the same no matter how many in the household. And as your usage reduces they become a much bigger % of the bill.
    The standing charge on my last electricity bill was more than 50% of the bill - even if I reduced my usage to 0, thereís nothing I can do about reducing the standing charge.
    (I always shop around and change providers whenever I need to, being a low user I try to choose tariffs with a lower standing charge)
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    If I reduce my usage to nil, I would get a quarterly bill with nil on it. I have been with Ebico for a few years, they have a 'no standing charge' tariff. Even with a slightly higher price per Kwh, as a low user I am still quids in. My summer gas bills are only a few £'s, the cost of using my cooker and heating a tank of water.

They have now put a cap on it, and I have to re assess the situation in October. I hope they continue the deal and I can roll it over year on year. Not sure if it is available for new applicants.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The problem is that statistically you have suddenly become more of a risk in insurance world.
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    To be honest, what irritated me more than being considered less of a risk when my (now ex) husband added to my insurance, was the fact that he didnít even have a licence to drive a car at the time!

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

• jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 7:26 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    If I reduce my usage to nil, I would get a quarterly bill with nil on it. I have been with Ebico for a few years, they have a 'no standing charge' tariff. Even with a slightly higher price per Kwh, as a low user I am still quids in. My summer gas bills are only a few £'s, the cost of using my cooker and heating a tank of water.

They have now put a cap on it, and I have to re assess the situation in October. I hope they continue the deal and I can roll it over year on year. Not sure if it is available for new applicants.

ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Thanks, Iíll check them out

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Feb 19, 7:32 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 6,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    And if I've said I know how it works, I'm surprised you feel you have to explain it. Yes, statistically I'm a worse driver, obviously. But I'm not actually a worse driver - and so having to pay an extra £130 for no reason is frustrating, especially at a time when money is tight. And if I then put someone else on the policy (who doesn't even have to ever use the car), I don't miraculously become a better driver, although the stats would say that I do. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 09-02-2019 at 7:38 AM.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 7:37 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Thanks, I’ll check them out
    Have had a look.
    The plan with no standing charge is 50% more expensive for electricity and more than double the cost of gas as my current supplier, overall monthly cost over the last year would have worked out 20% higher.

I’ll check them out again when my current fixed rate tariff ends though, it’s possible it’ll work out differently then

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

• Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 9th Feb 19, 9:25 AM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 4,499 Thanks
    Marvel1
    But you'll lose Your council tax discount.
    Originally posted by spirit
    However still cheaper, random figure (why I beleive council tax should be 50% discount).

£100 for 2 adults = £50 each
    £75 for 1 adult

£25 more.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 19, 9:36 AM
    • 66,154 Posts
    • 388,538 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    But - why are things more expensive for one person than they are for two??

Let's take Council Tax. Yes, as a single person, I'll get a 25% reduction - but the household income will reduce by 50%, so I'm paying a larger % of the household income now.

If and when I want to go on holiday, the room rate will be much the same for me on my own as it was when we travelled as a couple.

I'm sure there are more - this is just what I've come across so far, and he hasn't even gone yet!!!
    It's always been thus - thing is, when you're single, nobody cares. Not one hoot.

There's also 1/4 of the disposable income coming in.

e.g. random figures:
    Single income: £1500/month, £1000 on housing/council tax, £100 cost of getting to work, £400/month left for everything else.
    Couples income: £3000/month, £1100 on housing/council tax, £200 cost of getting to work, £1700/month left for everything else... (that's like £400 each - and £900 on frivolity/fun/savings ... EVERY month).

Cost of joining the NT/Ramblers and most clubs is more per person. Look at local clubs, gyms, anything and a single membership is dearer per head than a couple/family....

Cost to go anywhere in a vehicle - you pay the same single rate to park if there's just you or two. One rate to go on a car ferry. Couples can also win with parking as one can drop off the other and "drive round the block" and not pay for parking... singles have to park.

Two for one meals - you can't buy one half price. £8-10 for a single pie/chips, or £6 each on the "two for one" pub meals.

TV License. Same rate no matter how many people contribute.

Cost of everything - even the sofa you sit on is borne entirely with one seriously reduced income.

You're single.... nobody cares.

I've spent my life being single/alone.... it's just a life of being skint
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 9:52 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    even the sofa you sit on is borne entirely with one seriously reduced income
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Although only half the wear and tear on the sofa, so lasts twice as long and only need to replace half as often

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 9th Feb 19, 9:52 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 11,950 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    You sound like you are ok about the split, even with this prepared to feel sad at first (i wanted my ex to go for years before he finally did so couldn't believe how sad I feel when he actually did it!) however it didn't last long and I promise the extra expense will be worth it.

Bills- Yes they are more expensive as you are paying the same to heat a house however many live in it, however this can be mitigated by the fact you are in control. You have the heating on when you like, you can put as little water in the bath as needed etc.

Car insurance - My ex still has me on his car insurance just because by adding my name (even at a different address) it makes it cheaper for him. Icouldn't do the same with him as I claimed benefits for a bit, and didn't want any association with him.

Holidays - I have child so slightly different for me at the moment but this in the only thing that annoys me being single.

Food - I found this isn't much different as I no longer have to cook a proper meal every night. I can just have a sandwich or beans on toast if I fancy. Plus I can now by value ranges (ex wouldn't eat value stuff grrr)

My biggest worry which I don't think anyone else has touched on is I am solely responsible for the household income, if I lose my job or a big expensive comes up there is nobody to share the cost burden. Being single for me is still worth it though.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Feb 19, 10:22 AM
    • 5,455 Posts
    • 12,376 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    My biggest worry which I don't think anyone else has touched on is I am solely responsible for the household income, if I lose my job or a big expensive comes up there is nobody to share the cost burden. Being single for me is still worth it though.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Most of us will have this worry, I know I do. It looked like my employer was going to sell up a couple of years back and I got really, really stressed about it because the potential buyers were only interested in the side of the business that I don't work on, so I could see my area being closed down and me being made redundant when TUPE ran out.

It didn't happen in the end but I ended up at the GP needing sleeping tablets as it was keeping me up at night, all night.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 10:33 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I agree about the sole responsibility thing. I’ve made certain ‘just in case’ arrangements that were not necessary when I was married.

Regarding holidays, to be honest, when it comes to travelling I find it’s the practical things that are more of a disadvantage, things you don’t always think about when you travel with someone. You have to be more organised eg, make sure you go to the loo before you collect your luggage from the carousel because you won’t fit into the cubicle with your case and you’ve no-one to leave it with once you’ve collected it. Also, when travelling with my ex-husband we used to split our stuff and pack half into each case so that if one went astray we still each had half our stuff until the missing case turned up. Now I make sure I have two changes of clothes and overnight stuff in my hand luggage (along with all the other stuff we used to share between us such as guide book, maps, gps, etc). Also, with two drivers you can cover twice the distance in a day, but driving alone I have to plan in more/longer breaks so can’t cover as much ground. Also not having an extra pair of eyes looking out for turnings etc while you concentrate on the traffic... But with more/better planning all of these are manageable.

On the upside, I can take flights with connections now, widening my options - ex-h gets dreadful ear pain on descent (even with the ear plugs that are supposed to stop this) so would only ever take direct flights

Like most things in life, there are advantages as well as disadvantages. Some of these are financial, some are practical, some are emotional/worry related.

You just have to decide whether you’re going to focus on the positives or the negatives
    Last edited by jackieblack; 09-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 9th Feb 19, 10:49 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 11,950 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Regarding holidays, to be honest, when it comes to travelling I find itís the practical things that are more of a disadvantage,

I'd forgotten about that one. When you eat out alone you need to take your handbag to the loo as nobody to leave it with. Often when I've got back I've found either my plate taken away or someone else sitting in the seat! However this isn't limited to single people as even couples go out on their own sometimes.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Feb 19, 10:49 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 6,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Yes, the split is amicable, and we're both prepared to work hard to keep it that way. Heating will be cheaper, as he was on meds that made him feel cold (whereas I'm still young enough to have the occasional hot flush...). Food-wise I know how to eat cheaply and healthily, and I'll be cutting right back on the alcohol. Also, fewer takeaways - we tended to have one a week, won't be happening now!!

As to feeling sad, yes, I probably will - it is sad. But I have a bottle of fizz left over from Christmas, and I've promised myself I'll open it the night he goes. A toast to the future.

I'm going to have to change my username on here!! Trailingspouse no longer!! I chose the name because we did a lot of work abroad at one point, and for a while lived abroad. In ex pat communities, the spouse who isn't the one doing the work is known as the trailing spouse - but for us, it was usually me that 'went on ahead', found accommodation, organised the move, and so on, while he finished whatever he was doing and then followed on. So, no longer trailing (even ironically), and soon-to-be no longer spouse!!
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 19, 10:56 AM
    • 8,599 Posts
    • 13,828 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I'd forgotten about that one. When you eat out alone you need to take your handbag to the loo as nobody to leave it with. Often when I've got back I've found either my plate taken away or someone else sitting in the seat! However this isn't limited to single people as even couples go out on their own sometimes.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I make sure I pop to the loo between ordering and the food arriving. If I have to leave the table once the food arrives I just catch the eye of the waiter/waitres to let them know Iím coming back

When married, if I went out on my own it was usually with my daughter or to meet up with friends. Iíd never eaten out or travelled alone before splitting with my ex-husband.

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Apr £50.00

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

622Posts Today

5,240Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin