Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    • 473Posts
    • 1,378Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)
    • 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4) 11th Dec 14 at 7:18 PM
    so, this is a continuation of our old thread which can be found here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4890409&page=209

This thread is for all ladies (or partners of ladies) who are 12-24 weeks pregnant.

Welcome everyone!!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
Page 2
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 15th Dec 14, 1:35 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    Hi Nisha! Welcome!
    Hope everything is ok and the sickness eases really soon!

*** DO NOT DELETE - To update this list, quote the post and remove the quote boxes ***

Recent graduates (who are still welcome !):
    Mrs_T_M - 24th February
    Pington - Twins 8th March (expected 14th Feb)
    Bubblepops - 21st March
    Carrot34 – Twins 25th March
    Always_alone – 27th March
    Tilly_dreams – 28th March
    Danielley – 1st April

Current list:
    x_missymoo_x - 7th April
    Princess Kate - 8th April - 20 week scan 18th November
    Millysg1 - 8th April - 20 week scan 24th November
    Trixsie1989 - 14th April - 20 week scan 28th November
    Aunty-Pickle - 15th April - 20 week scan 26th November
    georgie262 - 22nd April - 20 week scan 2nd December
    gayleygoo - 22nd April - 20 week scan 3rd December
    Phoenix01 - 25th April - scan first week December
    ( Downhillfast's OH ) - 3rd May - 20 week scan 19th December
    Angelmommy - 6th May
    Bezzyk - 7th May
    Jediquigley - 8th may - 20 week scan 17th December
    Janed9388 - 17th May - 20 week scan 29th December
    RingToBe - 30th May - 20 week scan 8th January
    hippihaz - 2nd June - 20 week scan 14th January
    krustylouise - 5th June - 20 week scan ?21st January
    ashtray heart - 6th June - 20 week scan 26th January
    wendz86 - 5/8 June
    lemonmelon - 13th June
    Nisha B - 22nd June

WHEN YOU SEE THIS POST DO YOUR PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES!!!
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 15th Dec 14, 1:40 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    wendz, hope all goes well tomorrow at your 16wk appointment. It's good your midwife is lovely - hopefully she will be able to reassure you somewhat.
    Are you having any extra scans?
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 15th Dec 14, 2:29 PM
    • 7,090 Posts
    • 24,606 Thanks
    wendz86
    Hi Nisha and welcome!

No extra scans, although I'm trying to take that as a positive that they don't think i need any. They have said I can make an appointment with them whenever though so can always make one for a couple of weeks time to fill the gap before 20 week scan which i haven't got date for yet.

Hopefully once I get past the next couple of weeks i will feel a bit better and at least I have Christmas to keep me occupied!
    • georgie262
    • By georgie262 15th Dec 14, 4:42 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    georgie262
    Hi Nisha Nice to meet you :-)

I have the antilop highchair from when DS1 was a baby. I honestly dont know why anyone would get anything different (actually I do it's not aesthetically the best looking high chair) but it's cheap, functional and really easy to clean.
    My OH could feel the baby move this weekend so it's really getting strong now exciting
  • hippihaz
    Hello to everyone and welcome to nisha,
    got my 16 wks appt next week - wondering what to expect? do they usually try and listen to the heartbeat (hoping they do!) or does it vary on the midwife? starting to get a mini bump now, although I still think to most people it just looks like I ate too much dinner! Hope everyone is doing ok and good luck wendz for your 16 wk appt too x
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 15th Dec 14, 8:04 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    hi hippihaz,
    I found this to be a handy guide as to what to expect at each appointment..
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/antenatal-appointment-schedule.aspx

So, if you look at the 16 week appointment, it says:

Your midwife or doctor will give you information about the ultrasound anomaly scan you will be offered at 18-20 weeks. They will also help with any concerns or questions you have. Your midwife or doctor should:
    review, discuss and record the results of any screening tests
    measure your blood pressure and test your urine for protein
    consider an iron supplement if you're anaemic

so, they don't routinely listen to baby's heartbeat then. it's because it can be hard to find so they don't like to worry the mother un-necessarily!

hope that helps
    • x_missymoo_x
    • By x_missymoo_x 15th Dec 14, 8:44 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    x_missymoo_x
    Welcome Nisha

hippihaz - my 16 week appointment just involved a urine sample, BP and a feel of my belly! She didn't listen for heartbeat because as Aunty-Pickle said, it is still very difficult to pick it up that early on. I was in and out within 5 minutes. I've got my 24 week appointment this week and I think that is normally the first time they start listening for heartbeat.

wendz86 - hope all goes well at your appointment and the next few weeks go smoothly.

Hope you ladies had a lovely weekend - I had a very busy one involving a Christmas party, a dizzy spell and a racing heart I'm making it sound more dramatic than it actually was - the dizzy spell was the first (and so far only) I've had and it happened in the car on the way home from work Friday evening. Luckily I was in very slow moving traffic and wound the window down and was sorted within a few moments, it just felt so odd and I have no idea what caused it... I was cold rather than too hot, it was just so bizarre! The Christmas party was really good, I finally managed to find a lovely maternity dress for an absolute bargain at 10 from New Look and some gorgeous sparkly heels, but all the dancing made me so tired and hot, I was drinking ice water all night! I clearly know how to party Then the racing heart came that evening when I lay down in bed, I just felt so out of breath and it felt like my heart was pounding, but OH was listening to it and it sounded normal! I know shortness of breath is common in pregnancy, especially in the 2nd trimester so I'm not worried, plus I have my midwife appointment on Weds so I will double check then. Eek, 24 weeks tomorrow and I'm top of the list!! Where has that time gone!?

In other news, I have four days left of work! I've still not heard back about whether I can go back part-time, but the fact the Christmas countdown is well and truly on is keeping my spirits high

Have you got all your Christmas shopping done yet? I'm nearly there, going shopping Thursday evening to see if I can get the last bits done. So exciting!!
    Last edited by x_missymoo_x; 15-12-2014 at 8:46 PM.
    • downhillfast
    • By downhillfast 15th Dec 14, 10:46 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    downhillfast
    hi downhillfast! How are you and DW? Has her sickness eased? Hope so.
    Originally posted by Aunty-Pickle
    I think she's finally getting over the sickness. Only been sick once in the last week so fingers crossed that's the end of it!

We have our 20 week scan on Friday that we're getting pretty excited about - even though we're not planning to find out the gender it will be great to see how big it's getting!

I'm away at work at the moment and I got a text message a few hours ago saying the baby was "having a party!" hopefully I'll be able to feel it move soon - can't wait!
    • ashtray heart
    • By ashtray heart 16th Dec 14, 9:27 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    ashtray heart
    Hello all. How is everyone getting on? I am not sure where the time is going - seems to be flying by. Have a terrible cold and not sure what I can take as there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there. My throat is really sore but I read that I can't take strepsils and somewhere else that I shouldn't have honey? Any advice ladies about how to get over it?
    • krustylouise
    • By krustylouise 16th Dec 14, 9:57 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    krustylouise
    Hello all. How is everyone getting on? I am not sure where the time is going - seems to be flying by. Have a terrible cold and not sure what I can take as there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there. My throat is really sore but I read that I can't take strepsils and somewhere else that I shouldn't have honey? Any advice ladies about how to get over it?
    Originally posted by ashtray heart
    At the moment I have been making my own lemsips! Paracetamol tablet swallowed and then sip a nice hot water with honey and lemon. Helped me Yday. Also halls soothers are fine x
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 16th Dec 14, 10:08 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    Hello everyone!!
    missymoo - hooray for Christmas! It's nearly here! All Christmas shopping done and wrapped and presents distributed to relatives who OH visited a few weeks ago so completely sorted!
    Sorry you've had a bit of a rough time recently. Hope the dizzy spell wasn't too scary - at least you weren't speeding along a motorway (I don't mean speeding over the speed limit, just going fast!)
    You obviously need more taking care of!!

Downhillfast - I'm so pleased she is feeling better, that's really good. Have you had any sympathy symptoms?!! My OH hasn't felt baby move yet - I'm hoping he can for Christmas.

ashtray heart - how miserable . As if there isn't enough to put with! Honey is fine to take when pregnant. The good ol' Honey and Lemon juice dissolved in hot water is lovely! You can use eucalyptus oil for steam inhalations. And of course, paracetamol is safe to take (avoid ibuprofen stuff). Otherwise, it's the age old advice of keeping fluids up, vitamin C, plenty of rest and generally take it easy. Big hugs though.

AFM, suffering from the most painful heartburn - intermittently all through the day and night. It really stops me in my tracks. I have a GP appointment next Monday anyway about my sick note (from the operation) so I think I will mention it then - if I can last that long!
    • Mrs_T_M
    • By Mrs_T_M 16th Dec 14, 11:12 AM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 13,245 Thanks
    Mrs_T_M
    Originally posted by ashtray heart
    I'd stay away from the strepsils, but honey is perfectly fine. It's babies who shouldn't have honey until they are 1 year old.

Best things for a cold, drink more water than usual, keep away from too much dairy (can cause mucus to get thicker, not good when you're trying to get it out!), and rest as much as is possible.
    Baby Dale
    26th January 2014 - Forever in our hearts

Eli Gabriel 19th February 2015

• georgie262
    • By georgie262 16th Dec 14, 1:39 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    georgie262
    Bit of a long shot, specific question here: Have any of the ladies expecting Baby number 2+ who had emergency c-section decided what they are going to do about the delivery of baby number 2? I've just been handed a load of literature and told to decide between planned c-section or VBAC and I don't know what to do
  • RingToBe
    This is a bit of a rant, but also searching for help/answers/opinions.

Without going into too much detail, I had a really bad time after the birth of DS 15 months ago (complaint currently in hand with NHS), which required more surgery in a few areas but has still not yet been done. We actually ended up paying to have one problem corrected because I literally couldn't function without me being in agony. Referred backwards and forwards etc, and now I'm (obviously) pregnant again so can't be operated on until after birth.

I have been seen by numerous consultants, though I have 3 regular ones. They have all told me that I should categorically have a C-section, no room for discussion, with any subsequent children otherwise there's a risk I will end up faecally incontinent due to the damage that was done during delivery of #1. It's known that even the weight of the baby will be putting a strain on the issue and so I've been seen by a physiotherapist who has suggested a support band when I get bigger and heavier to relieve me of the weight.

After relaying this to my midwife at our booking in appointment, she referred me to a see a consultant so that I could be counselled correctly about the birth and make sure I knew everything that was going on and why. After seeing the consultant, who actually turned out to be a registrar who hadn't read my notes and had assumed I'd had a normal delivery, I was told there was no reason I couldn't have a normal vaginal delivery. I didn't think too much into it since she hadn't even bothered to read my notes, so I thought hey, what does she know?

Obviously this has got me thinking. Over the last 12 months I've mentally prepared myself for the fact that I will be going in for a caesarean should I have any more children and erased any hope of every having a natural delivery again.

Now I get told yesterday at my 16 week appointment with the midwife that she'd spoken with a senior (whose never seen me) that she can't see any reason why I can't go ahead normally either.

I am now waiting for an appointment to come through from the consultant I should have seen in the first place.

I am just becoming increasingly frantic and, quite frankly, p***ed off with all this conflicting information. Who do I believe? What do I do?
    Do I go ahead, run the risk of a natural delivery, and end up incontinent? Or just go for the C-section I'd resigned myself to. I was completely devastated when I was told that I couldn't have any more children naturally, so this is a small ray of hope, but risky nonetheless.

I just genuinely don't know who to believe - 3 consultants, or a midwife, senior midwife and a registrar?

RTB x
    DS born 30.08.13
    DS #2 due 30.05.15

2015 Wins iCandy Emilia changing bag and vintage knit blanket | Mother's day hamper | Slumbersac | 80 kid's clothes from Amelia Ela | Britax car seat and isofix base | A print from The Milk Collective
    • georgie262
    • By georgie262 16th Dec 14, 3:35 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    georgie262
    Hi Ringtobe sorry you had such a hard time after your first labour - sounds terrible. I feel like I've read your story before have you posted on another thread/forum recently? I would just start by asking lots of questions. Speak to the consultants and ask specifically why you couldn't have a natural birth again and then put this to the midwives who have said they can't see why not.
    I had an emergency c-Section with my DS1 and although previously I had said I categorically do not want one it wasn't actually that bad. Yes the recovery time was longer (but possibly not in your case from what you've said) but the overall experience was not that bad and for me this was after 2 days of labour! I've been given the choice of what I want and am in a total quandary I have no idea what to do :-(
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 16th Dec 14, 3:42 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    RingToBe, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. It must be bad enough having had a bad experience last time - and now being shunted between two almost completely conflicting options and not knowing who to trust.

From the face of it (and without knowing all the details) I would be tempted to say that I would put more trust in the opinions of your "regular" consultants who surely are more aware of and more knowledgeable about your previous experience and the impact it has had on you physically (and mentally).

I know from personal experience that it is hard to think that you have no choice about giving birth via a c-section and how disappointing that can be when you want the chance for a "normal" vaginal delivery. I am fortunate in that after my recent surgery I am "allowed" to have (well, try for!) a vaginal delivery which I'm really pleased about. However, I suppose you need to weigh up the pros and cons for each option.

Is having a scheduled c-section - as much as that might not be your preferred choice - the "better" option in terms of having a controlled birth experience, with less risk of further complications to pre-existing conditions?
    Or, are the risks of a c-section, coupled with the feeling of disappointment and lack of choice, too much to contend with?

For what it's worth, when I was going to have to have a c-section, I talked to my best friend who had one (scheduled for twins). She really reassured me that it was a completely calm and wonderful experience. Is there anyone you can talk to who has gone through a c-section?

I guess I may not really be helping! I'm sure your head feels like it's going round in circles with no definitive option being obviously "better" than the other - just pros and cons for each.

When do you have to make a decision by?
    Last edited by Aunty-Pickle; 16-12-2014 at 3:44 PM.
  • jediquigley
    =georgie

I am aiming for a home water birth after a emergency c section. I found the facebook group 'vbac support group' extremely helpful. There are midwifes, doulas and everyday mums on there with some great advice.

I have been to vbac clinic and was told by consultant that he wouldn't recommend a water birth or a home water birth as they like to continuously monitor baby as in 50-80% signs of scar rupture can be picked up from fetal distress. But I hope to go against there plans as at the end of the day I make the decisions about my body and my baby. I plan to speak with supervisor of midwfies to make this possible, I wouldn't know any of this was possible without that facebook group as doctors don't give you the whole story.

Maybe post your thoughts and feelings on the Facebook group and ask for advice. For me personally I would like to avoid hospitals, induction and csection as for me they made the labour/birth of my child the worse time in my life.

Laura
    Married 16/07/2010, ds1 born 11/08/12, baby due 08/05/2015
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 16th Dec 14, 6:24 PM
    • 7,090 Posts
    • 24,606 Thanks
    wendz86
    Appointment went well today. Heard the heartbeat which made me feel better, will feel even better when i feel some more movement. Midwife said it made her day and was lovely. She has told me to come in for same appointments as a first time mum so at least i will get a couple more check ups.

Ringtobe - sorry about all the conflicting advice you have been getting. Must be so hard to know what to do.

Georgie - i am leaning towards a vbac . Going to go to the session they do on it and find out more. I didn't mind my section but i don't really want to be in hospital so long again.
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 16th Dec 14, 7:07 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    wendz - so glad you had a good appointment and hooray for hearing the heartbeat!!! It's good you are having more regular check-ups too.
    • x_missymoo_x
    • By x_missymoo_x 17th Dec 14, 7:53 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    x_missymoo_x
    Glad you had a successful scan wendz

I'm 24 weeks as of yesterday how did that happen!? Actually, don't answer that, I know how it happened but time is just whizzing by isn't it?! Anyways, I have a midwife appointment this morning - supposed to be next week but I didn't really fancy seeing her on Christmas Eve - so I will come back to give an update before moving on up (now singing the M People song...) Think I may just say hello but will probably use this thread more still until more of you join me!

Will pop by later, have a lovely day ladies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

5,595Users online

Martin's Twitter