Help with reclaiming Halifax Ultimate Reward Fee’s

Hello all, I’m after a bit of help with regards to reclaiming fees from my Halifax Ultimate Reward account.

I opened my account in branch back in August 2009. I opened the account as I was struggling financially at the time and was at university, the representative told me that to have an overdraft I needed to have this account, i took the agents word for it and opened the account and have been paying for it ever since.

When I initially complained I made a note of complaining about the over draft situation but I also said that it was only 2 days after my 18th birthday when I opened the account (which it was) so I didn’t fully understand what I was signing up for and took the agents advice.

A lady from Halifax phoned this evening to ask whether she could put that as an official statement on my complaint. I’m really starting to worry that I’ve messed up my chances of receiving any money back but when she phoned I panicked and just said yes sure.

Any help about whether this will ruin my complaint would be greatly received.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    TNB91 wrote: »
    I also said that it was only 2 days after my 18th birthday when I opened the account (which it was) so I didn’t fully understand what I was signing up for and took the agents advice.

A lady from Halifax phoned this evening to ask whether she could put that as an official statement
    She was probably amazed that you were saying that, at eighteen years old, you were somehow incapable of making an adult decision. Not a very compelling complaint reason, but more an embarrassment for you than a definite sabotage.

The complaint handler will just ignore that complaint reason, so don't worry. Whether you get a refund will not hinge on whether they accept you were too incompetent to open an account of your own volition when you reached the legal age to do so!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The complaints handler needs to record a summary of your complaint reasons to give in their official response. So, she was probably just trying to nail down what it is that you are complaining about.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Account opened in 2009 = 6 year time bar clock ticked
    Account letters that can trigger 3 year time bar clock sent out = ticked

You may get lucky but the bank can easily time bar your complaint. I had that account for a period and the annual letters they send out with a booklet detailing the costs and benefits of the account are sufficient to trigger the 3 year clock.

With little or no credit history it's quite possible that was the only account that would give you an overdraft.

Also your dates seem a bit weird, if you opened it in August when you were just 18, how could you already be at university and be struggling with debts? You would not normally even be in university until September onwards and you'd need an account to have any loans etc paid into?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure