I’m Stuck in my Emergency Borrowing Facility

Can anyone help, i am unemployed for 3 years after maternity leave/redundancy and sickness . I have been stuck in my Barclays emergency borrowing facility for the last year. And before this I have dipped in and out of it pretty much every month for the last 10 years, i have just calculated my bank charges as totalling over £4000. Many months I could be charged as much as £65-75 and once I was even charged £95 in 2010. I never asked for this facility and believe it was left on my account from an Additions Account I once had, where they transferred me to a current account with this facility instead of a basic current account. Even though I was a customer who regularly went over my overdraft and clearly not a candidate. I have been told if they removed it, it would affect my credit rating which put me off cancelling it .incidently I was talked into getting an Additions Account originally as I needed an overdraft and this was sold as my only option. I am financially struggling and I’m often have late payments for various bills
Could I succeed in reclaiming some of the charges?
I don’t know the exact dates of when I started an Addition Account, or Emergency Borrowing facility, do I need to find this out and if so how? There are 10 years of statements online, but I believe it was before this.
Thanks everyone

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No you can't complain about old bank charges since the 2009 court case.

You can complain about a packaged account but most of these are now time barred so wouldn't expect much luck on that

Ask the bank about financial hardship help if you are having current problems, your credit rating will already be shot if you are constantly getting these sort of charges so might as well get a clean start
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure