Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hackney & Islington (UK) Councils Now Consulting Public On Proposed Near-Zero-Emissions Zone In Shoreditch
    Those living within the areas governed by the Hackney and Islington councils (in the UK) who are interested in seeing a proposed near-zero-emissions zone imposed in parts of Shoreditch now have a chance for their voices to be heard — with a public consulting period on the matter now ongoing until February 14th.

To explain better: The proposed plan would see diesel, petrol/gas, and old hybrid models banned from two zones in Shoreditch, which would mean that the only vehicles allowed to operate therein would be electric vehicles and newer hybrids.

The ban wouldn’t be outright, though, but would rather only relate to the peak commuter time periods of 7:00 am to 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm sure that's a totally unbiased warts-and-all series, with absolutely no preconceived conclusions.

You could always watch it, before posting your preconceived conclusions?

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    You could always watch it, before posting your preconceived conclusions?
    I am sure he did watch it before writing about it. KoffKoff.

Provisional delivery date for my Nissan Leaf 2.ZERO is March 13th.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do I need to watch any advert to know it's an advert? No. I just need to know who's behind it.

And the fact is that this has been produced "in conjunction with" a C-list sleb vlogger who's been evangelising electric cars for eight years...
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Do I need to watch any advert to know it's an advert? No. I just need to know who's behind it.

It's not an advert ....... don't you know?

That's the problem with preconceived conclusions.

• JPR5
    JPR5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    From personal experience the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev is a lovely car to drive, shame the literature and salesman aren't honest.
    The car gets about 16-20 miles on a single charge and the petrol engine at most gives an average of 32mpg.
    I leased this based on the theory that you got over 80mpg combined (the suggestion is 120mpg) and 51mpg on petrol alone.
    As I use the car for long distance trips for work I get about 32mpg and I can only claim 14p per mile so a 300 mile trip costs £51.00 in fuel but I can only claim £42.00.
    Mitsubishi mis-sold the car to me but there appears nothing I can do to get out of a very expensive 5 year lease.
    My advice is unless you only do 20 mile trips and can plug in for several hours, then don't buy one.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPR5 wrote: »
    As I use the car for long distance trips for work I get about 32mpg and I can only claim 14p per mile so a 300 mile trip costs £51.00 in fuel but I can only claim £42.00.

Are you aware of mileage allowance relief?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I leased this based on the theory that you got over 80mpg combined (the suggestion is 120mpg) and 51mpg on petrol alone.

That was your first mistake. If you drive 5 miles on just electric, you did infinity miles per gallon on that journey. If you then drive 50 miles down the motorway on petrol only, you'll get that 32MPG. It is totally dependent on the mileage/journeys you do.
    As I use the car for long distance trips for work

If you had told a Mitsubishi dealer this, they're meant to redirect you to the diesel model (when the hybrid launched, anyway).
    My advice is unless you only do 20 mile trips and can plug in for several hours, then don't buy one

The briefest of research would tell you this. But good advice for readers in the future.

Do I need to watch any advert to know it's an advert? No. I just need to know who's behind it

Energy Savings Trust plus a pro electric car person with an electric car blog. Take your pinch of salt and watch it. It's meant to be educational, and obviously positive. I feel like I should accuse you of being paid by the coal lobby or something?!
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    It's not an advert ....... don't you know?
    "Advert" is not the only word beginning with "A". "Analogy" does, too.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    JPR5 wrote: »
    From personal experience the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev is a lovely car to drive, shame the literature and salesman aren't honest.
    The car gets about 16-20 miles on a single charge and the petrol engine at most gives an average of 32mpg.
    Mitsubishi mis-sold the car to me but there appears nothing I can do to get out of a very expensive 5 year lease.
    My advice is unless you only do 20 mile trips and can plug in for several hours, then don't buy one.
    You might be forgetting one detail. As with every new car, regardless of power source, it would actually be illegal for any economy/range figures to be used in any sales or marketing except for the official ones, derived from the standardised and tightly-defined lab test cycle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback