Lease company/insurance treating me unfairly after my car was destroyed.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Bblyt wrote: »
    We are not told nor given the details of the car insurance with the NHS lease scheme. We are only told it is fully comprehensive and is included with the cost of your car....I always thought that fully comprehensive meant exactly that and that they all followed the same code of conduct. .....

Your employer has let you down.

There's no such thing as "fully" comprehensive insurance!

If you have a union they may take this up for you.

Or did you make a mistake thinking this??
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Trying to blame other people for your own naivety can only work for so long. It's your fault you:
    thought that fully comprehensive meant exactly that and that they all followed the same code of conduct.

and
    didn’t know any different when I signed up for my ‘company’ lease car and assumed I was getting the best deal for the greater good for the employees

And if you think there are insurance companies who:
    treat people with compassion

You've still got a lot to learn!

Next time, read what you are agreeing to, don't sign if you don't like it.
  • Bblyt
    Bblyt Posts: 7 Forumite
    I was merely saying that in future then this event will have an impact on who I choose to go with rather than going down the route of having a packaged lease again.
  • Bblyt
    Bblyt Posts: 7 Forumite
    I’ll pay it if I have to. I’m just trying to see if I can get it waivered like 100’s of others did - I’m sure most people would at least try if they knew there was a possibility.

We don’t get given the insurance details with the lease cars (not even the name of the insurance company we are with)

Hard lesson learned!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Bblyt wrote: »
    I’ll pay it if I have to......!
    Earlier in the thread you admitted ignorance over this issue

Your excess isn't covered by your insurance

If you don't pay it expect to be pursued for it like any other unpaid bill!
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A lot of very unsympathetic replies here I must say. Some posters here certainly lack compassion.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 12:48PM
    What use would our sympathy be to the OP?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    littlerock wrote: »
    A lot of very unsympathetic replies here I must say. Some posters here certainly lack compassion.

Truth hurts doesn't it?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Most Comprehensive Motor Policies in the UK carry an excess (policyholder contribution).

Some policies/insurers may waive the excess in certain situations, but that's fairly unusual. If the policy has an excess, typically, it's payable.

You could try and recover the excess from the person/car that started the fire, but under English Law, you are likely to have to prove negligence. That's how English (Common Law) Law works.

I'm struggling with the OP's annoyance that the insurer are not waiving the excess. Maybe some insurers have (waived the excess) for this specific fire, but I would argue that this is a PR stunt, albeit advantageous to some of the victims. There is no obvious reason other than PR for the excess to be waived.

If the OP has a policy excess, it shouldn't come as a surprise that this is payable.

And, as a slight side issue, if the only out-of-pocket cost is the excess, I feel that that is a good result for the OP since lease cars have the potential for insurance shortfalls because of the interest costs.

Going forward, if the OP is unhappy about paying an excess, shop around. But few policies these days do not carry an excess.

Of course, if the group policy documents did not show an excess, by all means, complain to the FOS. But don't complain about the insurer having the cheek to ask for the excess if this is part of the policy and this was previously communicated.

DM
  • Bblyt wrote: »
    I’ll pay it if I have to. I’m just trying to see if I can get it waivered like 100’s of others did - I’m sure most people would at least try if they knew there was a possibility.

We don’t get given the insurance details with the lease cars (not even the name of the insurance company we are with)

Hard lesson learned!

Not sure I (fully) believe this.

Do you mean to say that you do not know who is covered to drive, whether you are covered for Accidental Damage, Windscreen?

If this is truly the case, this is pretty shocking, as it's really important that you know what the policy cover is.

DM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport