Electric cars

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Have you managed to come up with any figures on how many people do 200+ miles in a single trip?
    Let me turn that round - what percentage of car-owning households can honestly say they never do that, and can foresee no circumstances they'll ever need to do it?

destination charging seems to be experiencing significant growth. I'm seeing more and more places with EV charging spaces.
    Sure, but it's still a very long way from any kind of guarantee of availability. Even where there is provision, it's a token single charger or handful within many, many more bays.

I repeat my experiences over the last couple of years - multiple 350-mile day returns to my elderly, ill father in Sheffield.
    The HA flats he lived in had - and still have - no charging provision.
    The care home he moved to - no charging provision.
    Northern General Hospital (1,100 beds) - no charging provision. They actively discourage any and all on-site parking, and it is a nightmare just to find any space there.
    According to zapmap, the nearest public charging provision is the massive Meadowhall shopping centre and Ikea, a hotel or two, and a selection of new car dealerships. None, AIU the map, are reported as having more than two charging points - in Meadowhall's case out of TWELVE THOUSAND spaces... And then you've got to fanny about with buses...

My nearest city, Hereford, has three (total, single) charging points in public car parks, two in supermarket car parks, and one at a dealership, then further out there are a total of two in the main industrial estate, one at another dealership on the opposite edge. As you get out past the suburbs, there's another at a dealership and one at a hospice.

And that's assuming they all work and aren't already in use.

So is zapmap hopelessly outdated, or is destination charging still the rare exception?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Can't say I've seen any new charger installs over the last year or so...

Just for a laugh ;)

Tesla Opens 10,000th Supercharger
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Timely article looking at the different chemistries and designs of the Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3. I'm surprised at how much lighter the Tesla batts are.:

Tesla Model 3 & Chevy Bolt Battery Packs Examined

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    In Ontario. That's 10,000 charging points globally, with nothing in that article about how many locations.

There are 30 locations in the UK currently, according to Tesla's own list, with another 26 "coming soon".
    https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/superchargers/United%20Kingdom
  • Martyn1981
    AdrianC wrote: »
    In Ontario. That's 10,000 charging points globally, with nothing in that article about how many locations.

There are 30 locations in the UK currently, according to Tesla's own list, with another 26 "coming soon".
    https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/superchargers/United%20Kingdom

Yep, it's great news isn't it. Very hard to find a negative too.

And if you really want to smile, select the destination chargers for the UK, that's a very long list. Or have a look at the map.

• AdrianC
    Yes, there are more destination chargers. Some friends have recently installed one for the guests at their B&B in the Scottish borders.

Nobody's used it yet, but they have somebody booked in for late August, I think.

They're on the list. In fact, looking down it, most places on the list appear to be B&Bs and hotels. Certainly the <10 on HR postcodes are (a handful do meals, too, it has to be said).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Timely article looking at the different chemistries and designs of the Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3. I'm surprised at how much lighter the Tesla batts are.:

Tesla Model 3 & Chevy Bolt Battery Packs Examined

Update on that article with news that won't go down well in the AdrianC homestead:-

Tesla Model 3 Has “Most Advanced Large-Scale Lithium Battery Ever Produced,” Battery Expert Notes
    According to a seasoned electric vehicle battery expert, Tesla Model 3’s battery pack is a true engineering marvel and work of art — as evidenced in a comprehensive Model 3 battery pack disassembly video by the renowned (and animated) EV pro Jack Rickard of EVTV.

Even though Jack has been working on electric vehicles for years, he was floored by the Model 3 battery pack noting: “this is the BEST, most ADVANCED large-scale lithium battery ever produced on [the] planet and is YEARS ahead of anything currently in work.” Last fall, Jack had predicted big things ahead for Tesla. Now, it appears his suspicions about Tesla’s industry-leading battery tech advances have (indeed) come to pass.

• AdrianC
    So "zealot gets excited about new thing"?
  • Martyn1981
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So "zealot gets excited about new thing"?

Or alternatively, AdrianC gets upset because another battery expert says nice things about Tesla batts.

• Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2018 at 8:39AM
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Have you managed to come up with any figures on how many people do 200+ miles in a single trip?

I regularly drive 180 miles at one go stopping on a rural verge at a favorite stopping point for a rest for 15 minutes en-route: Probably twice a month.
    Likewise I'll often in the summer go over 200 miles as a total in a day so 100 there and back - again parking in remote spots off the beaten track so to speak rather than tarmac car parks.

Always find it funny in these EV discussions how the stats are trotted out that virtually all the road trips in the the UK are less than 15 miles.
    While I living in the rural parts of the UK hardly ever do a trip that is less than 15 miles long.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback