Open Banking and account aggregation?

Options

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    https://help.moneydashboard.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002969132-Specific-providers highlights that online banking credentials are needed for the major players, while https://help.moneydashboard.com/hc/en-us/articles/215853983-Supported-Providers refers to the fact that the connection to Starling is "via Starling API".

That's a shame. I guess it's just Starling and Monzo being connected to through 'open banking' (Monzo isn't actually registered with OB but their API is, according to them, open banking compliant).

I guess as they've been around for some time, and they've already built screen scrapers for all the banks that it's possible with, they just can't be bothered / don't have the resources to update?

I always liked the interface of moneydashboard, but if it mostly screenscrapes I'll stop recommending it, screen scraping is slower and involves giving out your login details.

They only have until September 2019 though - after that screen scraping will be banned.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    I use Yolt as my aggregator of choice and it supports the majority of current accounts using open banking APIs
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use Yolt as my aggregator of choice and it supports the majority of current accounts using open banking APIs
    Pray that you don't have to re-enter all your accounts when the next upgrade comes out.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Yolt is also what I use day to day, but the OP did seem to want something on a PC.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    Yolt is also what I use day to day, but the OP did seem to want something on a PC.

I did (and do) - but thanks for all the suggestions. It's looking very much as if First Direct Internet Banking Plus (with all its shortcomings) is still the only PC option, sadly.

It takes you straight through from the home screen to each of the aggregated accounts so that you can operate each one individually. The phone apps don't, I think, allow you to do that.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2019 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    It takes you straight through from the home screen to each of the aggregated accounts so that you can operate each one individually. The phone apps don't, I think, allow you to do that.
    Precisely. I don't think those advocating one of the apps appreciate the benefits of being able to access umpteen accounts quickly.

I have found an alternative that works reasonably well for me. I have all the banking apps on my iphone, so I can log into most of my accounts with FaceID (or TouchID previously). It doesn't give me a quick list of the balances for all my accounts but it's still massively faster than having to log in with the full credentials into each account. There are some accounts which don't have apps and I need to log in manually, but I need to do that anyway as some of the smaller BSes aren't supported by AccountUnity/FDIP.

I also use AceMoney (basically MSMoney) to record all my transactions - something I have done all along, anyway and which I can't see being replaced by the new generation of Open Banking apps. Not least because they have a woeful range of accounts they support.

I appreciate, though, that something like Yolt will be a great advance for people with one or two current accounts and perhaps a couple of savings accounts.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Precisely. I don't think those advocating one of the apps appreciate the benefits of being able to access umpteen accounts quickly.

I have found an alternative that works reasonably well for me. I have all the banking apps on my iphone, so I can log into most of my accounts with FaceID (or TouchID previously). It doesn't give me a quick list of the balances for all my accounts but it's still massively faster than having to log in with the full credentials into each account. There are some accounts which don't have apps and I need to log in manually, but I need to do that anyway as some of the smaller BSes aren't supported by AccountUnity/FDIP.

I also use AceMoney (basically MSMoney) to record all my transactions - something I have done all along, anyway and which I can't see being replaced by the new generation of Open Banking apps. Not least because they have a woeful range of accounts they support.

I appreciate, though, that something like Yolt will be a great advance for people with one or two current accounts and perhaps a couple of savings accounts.

Thanks. Funnily enough, I’m probably wanting it for similar reasons. I use MS Money, because nothing comes near it in its excellent functionality.

I like your workaround and I’ll give that a try. I need something that enables me to use MS Money and bank online on the same device, ideally, but that’s a good idea.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    They only have until September 2019 though - after that screen scraping will be banned.

If that's the case, then it sounds like FDIB+ will stop working later this year.
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Give it time.

OB should gradually lead to more options, choice and better service.

(I'll still missing Egg Money manager which was great and 15 years ahead of its time)
  • Pmason
    Options
    Has anyone got experience of using the YOLT app?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure