Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2 are run by Asian families and 1 by a Turkish guy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of stuff some people have in their trollies pre Xmas, thy won't need to shop for about 2 weeks!

Too true. When I see the number of loaves in folks trollies in the run up to Christmas I could be forgiven for thinking that the traditional full Christmas meal has been replaced by a trough filled to the top with bread sauce. :eek:

WR
  • always_sunny
    Options
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    Too true. When I see the number of loaves in folks trollies in the run up to Christmas I could be forgiven for thinking that the traditional full Christmas meal has been replaced by a trough filled to the top with bread sauce. :eek:

WR

That always intrigues me... it's like people don't shop throughout the year and let loose just before Christmas; my local supermarkets (Asda/Sainsbury's) are incredibly busier this time of the year - don't people eat in other months? Are there more people all of a sudden? Mystery really!
    EU expat working in London
  • Cetshwayo
    Options
    Mystery really!

To foreigners most things are in this country.
  • always_sunny
    Options
    Cetshwayo wrote: »
    To foreigners most things are in this country.
    What is your issues with foreigners making comments? Second time in a day, I am starting to think it's getting personal, which I don't mind, just be direct rather than waltz around.
    EU expat working in London
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Maybe spare a thought for people with no family who have had no contact with anyone since the shops shut Christmas Eve, going out into a warm bright environment and saying hello to a friendly shopkeeper might be as good as it gets for some. Of course as long as you can do what you want it doesn't matter does it.

I used to do rotas for Christmas working, some people are more than happy to work it for a variety of reasons. I've had people offer to work all over Christmas as they are travelling home in January and want some extra days or extra money, people of other faiths who would rather swap the days for something more appropriate to them or people who live alone, don't have anywhere to go and are happy to go into work and see people.

You just assume everyone is like you with the same needs and wants as you. No one is forced to go shopping on Boxing Day, if they didn't do it shops would shut but as it is people do want it and shops want there money so you will just have to suck it up.
    Why are you getting so mad? I'm not saying shops should shut at all I'm just saying that I like that home bargains is.

Going to see your family could be a burden for a variety of reasons, do you drive? Maybe you could break down and need towing, maybe you could be in an accident and cause lots of work for lots of people, maybe you need petrol or maybe you don't drive and expect transport workers to work?
    These people don't work on the high street though, do they? Where are you getting this from? I've never said that everyone should have christmas off. That's just stupid, you're saying this, not me :rotfl:

Never said all the shops would be shut, never said they should shut either, just saying that I like the idea :think: why y'all taking what I said and blowing it way up, I'm literally just talking about some retail shops. I think it's nice, like last year when the Entertainer closed Christmas eve as it was a Sunday, I thought that was brilliant. Obviously a lot of people need to work, as they are working in an important service, but imo shops aren't a need. Just saying it's nice that the shop is thinking about their staff, no need to get your knickers in a twist :rotfl:
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Wild_Rover wrote: »

WR
    How much do people think they're going to eat over 2 days? :laugh: I've never understood this, surely they can't eat all that bread
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Tallaght wrote: »
    Some local shops open on xmas day nevermind boxing day.

Do they really :shocked: my mums shop is shut, but we still laugh about the man who said "what if I want more wine" :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Shops should do as they see fit, why not have them open even on Christmas day if they wish so? If shoppers don't want to go, they won't. They're plenty of people who don't give a toss about Christmas and/or Boxing Day and perhaps would rather be working and earn some money.
    I sort of agree with this...as long as the shops don't put pressure on workers to work when they would rather be off.

I certainly won't be shopping on Boxing Day.
    I won't even be shopping on Christmas Eve as I'll have bought everything I need before then.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    And this is where you naivety shows. Im pretty sure its not extra time off for the staff, theyll just have one less holiday to take during the rest of the year.

We disagree, ill leave it at that. I was trying to offer reason and discussion but it seems apparent thats unwarranted from me.

What I said "it's nice that they're shut boxing day"

What you read "I think that literally no one should work christmas and boxing day regardless of profession.

Last year I had one less day at Christmas, but I got it back at Easter. :) I'm not an employee there but if the shop is shut there's not much they can do about it holiday wise. My christmas break has come out of my holiday entitlement, I'll live
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure