Do I need a new PC?

Comments

• ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    googler wrote: »
    Once again

Draws line under it

Don't worry drawing a line under it will protect you from the good, the bad and the ugly on the net :)
    esuhl wrote: »
    I use XP on a laptop and in VMs.

I have script-blocking enabled by default on all domains, and subscribe to a number of anti-malware domain blacklists. I don't browse random sites, and I run the browsers in a sandbox, anyway.

There are no shares (even administrative ones), the machines aren't wifi-enabled, and 99% of the time they're switched off.

I think you'd have a hard time hacking my XP machines.

Yes you are taking sensible precautions, but why not upgrade? It still does not stop an unpatched exploit compromising your machine\network, particularly one that does not require action on your part. Given the on time you would be really unlucky to get one but the chance is still there.

The original OP is on Windows 7 so is ok for sometime still, as others have said an SSD could breathe fresh life into an old computer but if you are happy with the performance and it does what you want it to, don't rush to upgrade.

I would however make sure you had a backup of your data preferably two as online storage is cheap especially compared to recovering data.

On a separate XP note Worldpay are removing support for TLS 1.0 so if you happen to be using IE on XP then it won't work. More and more issues are creeping up that either need a work round or change.

And one of my favourite XP related security
    post-48-1068678853.jpg

Don't worry it was improved for Vista though

1573579480_fe0575dc09_o.jpg
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Those pictures :rotfl:
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Judi wrote: »
    My pc only struggles with large adverts. Mainly on the Mail online which is no biggie as its all rubbish anyway.

Adverts?! On a computer? You need to install a decent ad-blocker. It'll reduce the risk of malware infections and reduce page load times too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    esuhl wrote: »
    Adverts?! On a computer? You need to install a decent ad-blocker. It'll reduce the risk of malware infections and reduce page load times too.

I used to have an adblock extension on my chrome browser but i had to reload windows and forgot to reload it. I'll go and find it, thanks. :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Would have been a simple job.Back up product keys. Update using the BIOS linked in my post. Install SSD as boot drive, install Windows 7 Professional cleanly to SSD. Attach old HDD as storage drive. Move stuff over at leisure.

it never goes that easy from scratch.

Just checking the bios upgrade and what it does will take time.

is there really a legal free upgrade from vista to 7?

• esuhl
    Yes you are taking sensible precautions, but why not upgrade [from XP]? It still does not stop an unpatched exploit compromising your machine\network, particularly one that does not require action on your part. Given the on time you would be really unlucky to get one but the chance is still there.

The user interface in XP is much better than 7. I used nLite to tweak the OS too, so it performs better than a stock installation.

Also, I can't find any drivers from the manufacturer for the laptop (let alone Win7 compatible ones).
    Judi wrote: »
    I used to have an adblock extension on my chrome browser but i had to reload windows and forgot to reload it. I'll go and find it, thanks. :)

Have a look for uBlock Origin (not to be confused with uBlock). It seems to perform better than AdBlock Plus (ADP).
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite

You are just over complicating things. It really is that easy.
    Yes.
  • esuhl
    Yes.

Have you got a link?
  • ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

You are just over complicating things. It really is that easy.
    Yes.

I would say it depends, installing and OS from scratch can be very straight forward and run through with no issues. However it can also be a royal pain in the backside and can lead to a lot of hair pulling moments, particularly if this is your first attempt at doing it.

That's not meant to put you off but you can encounter issues with drivers particularly to the point where sometimes without the right drivers you cannot even see the hard drive\SSD to install Windows on so you fall at the first hurdle.

You need to download the appropriate drivers from the website and if you were say planning on moving to Windows 10 make sure that there are drivers that will work with it. (often the Windows 8 ones will still work)

You also have Windows 7 Home so are not licensed for Windows 7 Professional.

I would upgrade the RAM but as you are 32bit OS you will only be able to use 3.5GB of ram so don't buy any more than that unless you upgrade to a 64bit OS.

If however you are happy with your PC, then the old adage if ain't broke don't fix it should be worth considering. Make sure you backup though :)
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having looked at Dell site today, if I was to buy a new computer next year or so....how do I transfer all my data, files, programmes, etc to the new one? Plus my internet connection which I have with virgin?

Also destroying my current hard drive.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family