How much cash?

2»

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks for feedback and a variety of responses there but majority seem to be going for 2-3 years with Sea Shell keeping more. I am relatively cautious too and was going for 5 years but don't want to skimp just in case my not so expensive holiday at £5k ends up costing £15k.
    ES, I think you need to differentiate between posters whos primary retirement income is based on underlying investments and those where the income is more guranteed (DBs, annuity, etc etc).

It makes absolute sense for an invetment driven retirement to hold a larger proportion of cash or cash equivalent.

Based on the info you provided you do not appear to be primarily an investment based retirement and therefore your question is very much about the levels of cash for ongoing expenses rather than to safeguard against possible investment fluctuations.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog wrote: »
    ES, I think you need to differentiate between posters whos primary retirement income is based on underlying investments and those where the income is more guranteed (DBs, annuity, etc etc).

It makes absolute sense for an invetment driven retirement to hold a larger proportion of cash or cash equivalent.

Based on the info you provided you do not appear to be primarily an investment based retirement and therefore your question is very much about the levels of cash for ongoing expenses rather than to safeguard against possible investment fluctuations.

It's a balancing act for both I think. With investments it is (relatively) easy to get hold of substantial lump sums (especially if held outside the pension wrapper), with DB, lump sums are harder (apart from the initial PLCS).

I don't have a DB pension so I will be holding 3 years cash plus a new car's worth so I don't need to draw on investments for anything if they are substantially down.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    cloud_dog wrote: »

That's an excellent point and one which I think many people miss.

I think in the OP's case where there is only 5-7 years away from the start of the DB paying out a much lower number of years of cash would be required. Holding 5+ years of expenses as cash in that position is extremely risk averse, far too much so for me. I think i'd be looking at 2-3 at most.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am relatively cautious too and was going for 5 years but don't want to skimp just in case my not so expensive holiday at £5k ends up costing £15k.

Easily done - we started last year with an £8k idea and it ended up being £15k.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's a balancing act for both I think. With investments it is (relatively) easy to get hold of substantial lump sums (especially if held outside the pension wrapper), with DB, lump sums are harder (apart from the initial PLCS).

I don't have a DB pension so I will be holding 3 years cash plus a new car's worth so I don't need to draw on investments for anything if they are substantially down.
    I don't believe ES will not be holding at least some investments, which could be accessed if absolutely required but the point remains, as you comment on, your cash holding has a very high weighting towards safeguarding your investments during a period of downturn for obvious short-term income and longer term sustainability reasons.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family