Cabot texts

Hi, I'm unsure where to put this question so lucky dip and landed here!

I keep getting texts from Cabot (debt collection agency by all acounts) saying I have an account with them and actually stating my name in the text and a reference number.

I've repeatedly checked my credit report which shows no debt (apart from 1 which is owned by Wescott and am sorting it out). I literally don't have a clue what Cabot are talking about.

To date, I've received no letters from Cabot at all about anything, all I've received are texts. I thought it was a complete scam but I'm also thinking even maybe identity theft ..... but I mean, if I call them and ask what they're on about, then am I technically taking ownership of the debt or do I just ignore it as it's just texts from what appears to be legitimate Cabot ID.

Any advise would be great
Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Wescot don’t buy debts, so think again on that one.

You only have to respond to letters regarding outstanding debts, certainly not texts/calls or emails.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DJ2905
    DJ2905 Posts: 5 Forumite
    All I know is that I'm discussing the debt I know about (about £1000) with Wescott on behalf of Lloyds Bank. I'm wanting to get it paid and sorted asap but I've had over a year of delays and no respondance from Lloyds, I'm left infuriated... at least with Wescott I'm not holding on the phone for 50mins before I speak to someone who can't help. Lloyds have been shockingly poor.

Cabot stuff... only thing is I cannot block the texts so they keep coming through and annoying me but also, it might be identity theft too. I know the Cabot thing is nothing to do with me but I'm just concerned
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    DJ2905 wrote: »
    To date, I've received no letters from Cabot at all about anything, all I've received are texts. I thought it was a complete scam but I'm also thinking even maybe identity theft ..... but I mean, if I call them and ask what they're on about, then am I technically taking ownership of the debt...

Calling them to find out what the text messages are about is not 'taking ownership of the debt'; technically or otherwise.
    All I know is that I'm discussing the debt I know about (about £1000) with Wescott on behalf of Lloyds Bank. I'm wanting to get it paid and sorted asap but I've had over a year of delays and no respondance from Lloyds, I'm left infuriated... at least with Wescott I'm not holding on the phone for 50mins before I speak to someone who can't help. Lloyds have been shockingly poor.

Cabot stuff... only thing is I cannot block the texts so they keep coming through and annoying me but also, it might be identity theft too. I know the Cabot thing is nothing to do with me but I'm just concerned

I understand why you're 'infuriated'.

If only Lloyds had high street presence or Wescot had a website you could go to to make a payment. I guess they never include details about how to pay the debt when they write to you either.

More to this case than meets the eye I suspect.

My guess: Lloyds has instructed Cabot to chase you for the debt or you owe money to someone else.
  • DJ2905
    Not more than meets the eye at all.

This Lloyds debt has been in dispute for ages because because of several different reason, some of which allows have taken full fault for. It cannot be paid of move forward until the dispute has finished.
    Yeah Lloyds have a number which I ring and then am told I have no account with them.... weird huh.
    Then I call Wescott, they're handling all the correspondence because I have written to Lloyds 3 times by recorded delivery signed for, of which I have have receipt, tracking number and confirmation it's got to the intended address. But no reply from Lloyds.
    As I previously said, before in a different post, I'm in communication with Wescott but can never seem to be able to talk with Lloyds.

So unfortunately I'm stuck and not really more than meets the eye about that. Thanks.
  • DJ2905
    And Lloyds on the high street can't help either, they tell you to phone the Lloyds call centre who can't help who put me through to collections who say that I have no account with them.

So yeah, its not really as easy as that unfortunately
  • DJ2905
    So it turns out that Cabot have nothing to do with the Lloyd's fiasco.
    Westcott still haven't had a reply from Lloyd's either, regarding the dispute. But Westcott confirmed that Cabot has no involvement.

Called Cabot and couldn't pass their account security questions; they had an incorrect address for me (I've lived at the same address for 22yrs). Spoke with their other department, possibly fraud department or similar but this account had been marked as fraud and an investigation will follow.
    Still no idea what the account details are and Cabot refused to inform me of any account details when I asked.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So it turns out that Cabot have nothing to do with the Lloyd's fiasco.
    Westcott still haven't had a reply from Lloyd's either, regarding the dispute. But Westcott confirmed that Cabot has no involvement.

Called Cabot and couldn't pass their account security questions; they had an incorrect address for me (I've lived at the same address for 22yrs). Spoke with their other department, possibly fraud department or similar but this account had been marked as fraud and an investigation will follow.
    Still no idea what the account details are and Cabot refused to inform me of any account details when I asked.

Its not your debt hence why they wont say anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure